Poll about the Teachers

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Poll about the Teachers

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

In recent news "Tayler Ivy Boncal, 22, of Beacon Falls, is charged with three counts of second-degree sexual assault. Boncal is accused of engaging in intercourse and oral sex with an 18-year-old student...The 18-year-old male student and Boncal both told police that the relationship began when he asked for her phone number in December, according to a five-page arrest warrant affidavit for Boncal"
http://www.courant.com/breaking-news/hc ... story.html

Should 20-22 year old teachers go to prisons for consensual sex with a student above the legal age of consent? The legal age of consent is 16 and 17 in some states. To clarify, I do believe sex with teachers is highly inappropriate and the teachers should be fired. There is no doubt there needs to be some form of punishment.

A) No, just fire them.

B) It is rape. Send them to prison for years and register them as sex offenders

C) Send them to jail for at least one month

D) Both are under 25 and don't know what the Hell they are doing. The age of consent should be at 25 (25 to 60) when the brain is fully developed.

E) Not answering because I don't want to ruin my reputation. Too much s***.

F) Not answering because someone is going to misrepresent my answer. You can't say prison is a harsh punishment without being accused of _______.

G) For Christ sake we had enough already
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: Poll about the Teachers

Post by _moksha »

DoubtingThomas wrote:E) Not answering because I don't want to ruin my reputation. Too much s***.

Hope nobody is using a patterned response from CamNC4Me as the basis of decision making.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

I don't think you can say the age of consent negates the fact that this is a student/teacher relationship. Pardon me for being blunt, but if we allow teacher and students to bang freely, this is not going to result in a better educational experience. If you look at it from the old moral yardstick "what if everybody did it", the situation clearly could get both complicated and ridiculous.

So I don't think this type of behavior should be considered acceptable. As to the punishment...Normally I would say I want a lot of judicial discretion, but I have a hunch 'discretion' could be wildly erratic from one judge to another. I would think somewhere between firing and 6 months, depending on the situation.

And I guess the next question is: What happens if the teacher is male and the student is female? Same punishment?
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

moksha wrote:
DoubtingThomas wrote:E) Not answering because I don't want to ruin my reputation. Too much s***.

Hope nobody is using a patterned response from CamNC4Me as the basis of decision making.

What the Hell? If you're going to take a shot at me you could at least throw in a reference to a racist, woman-hating, Nazi.

Sheesh.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:What the Hell? If you're going to take a shot at me you could at least throw in a reference to a racist, woman-hating, Nazi.

Sheesh.

- Doc

Wouldn't that be maligning you?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

moksha wrote:Wouldn't that be maligning you?

It'd probably be maligning the racist, woman-hating, Nazi.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

DoubtingThomas wrote:
Should 20-22 year old teachers go to prisons for consensual sex with a student above the legal age of consent? The legal age of consent is 16 and 17 in some states. To clarify, I do believe sex with teachers is highly inappropriate and the teachers should be fired. There is no doubt there needs to be some form of punishment.

A) No, just fire them.

B) It is rape. Send them to prison for years and register them as sex offenders

C) Send them to jail for at least one month

D) Both are under 25 and don't know what the Hell they are doing. The age of consent should be at 25 (25 to 60) when the brain is fully developed.

E) Not answering because I don't want to ruin my reputation. Too much s***.

F) Not answering because someone is going to misrepresent my answer. You can't say prison is a harsh punishment without being accused of _______.

G) For Christ sake we had enough already

Again? We've answered your above repeatedly in this forum, and some of us at fairly great length, over the past several months. Why are you asking again?
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

Jersey Girl wrote:Again? We've answered your above repeatedly in this forum, and some of us at fairly great length, over the past several months. Why are you asking again?

Because someone decided to revive the conversation. After being quoted out of context I had to clarify my position.