And yet another shooting at a School.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Re: And yet another shooting at a School.

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

cinepro wrote:
Fence Sitter wrote:While the number of mass shooting deaths may be diminishing, pointing that out is like saying the number of NASCAR racing deaths has gone down so we don't have to worry about car crashes in general.

[...] I'm more worried about efforts to make our schools more like prisons.

A friend on Facebook had shared this link, which outlined ideas on how to stop school shootings (sans legislation, of course). Two of the ideas were to add metal detectors to all schools, and to have increased armed security at all schools.

I had a bipolar itch at the time, so I estimated what it would cost to implement just these two things (I can share my math/reasoning if anyone is curious).

Here's what I conservatively came up with:

$8,182,386,275 One-time Rollout Cost.
$9,911,652,757 Annual Repeating Cost.

ETA: The annual repeating cost would apply to the first year as well, so it would be an estimated $18,094,039,032 the first year to get it off the ground. To put that somewhat in perspective, that's about 16 times more than the FY 2018 budget request for school choice programs.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

"CPRC was founded by Dr. John R. Lott, Jr., an economist and a world recognized expert on guns and crime."

are you effing kidding me cinepro?

Discredited gun researcher John Lott’s misleading Las Vegas massacre claims are falling apart

The GOP’s favorite gun ‘academic’ is a fraud

Maklelan knows more about gun research than anyone I know, and he says there are basically two schools of thought. The vast majority of the academic world and then there is John Lott.

Your graph says more than 35 kids died in 1993 but I'm unable to document that many deaths at school shootings.

Wiki has only 9 deaths from 10 different incidents for 1993. A lot of the years in your graph don't correspond to any of the other lists I've seen so I have no idea what Lott's criteria is, but it appears to be self serving.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Kevin Graham wrote:
Fence Sitter wrote:You know I think the gun nut advocates have a point. Lately it seems that guns aren't killing people, schools are killing people.

Maybe we should just keep people out of schools, that will eliminate school shootings. Easy peasy.

The two people he killed were his parents. On the fourth floor of the school, apparently from a domestic dispute.

#armallparents

stupidity kills more people than guns...care about something that matters...but at least you don't own a gun.

#textingwhiledrivingisignored
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Post by _cinepro »

Kevin Graham wrote:Your graph says more than 35 kids died in 1993 but I'm unable to document that many deaths at school shootings.

Wiki has only 9 deaths from 10 different incidents for 1993. A lot of the years in your graph don't correspond to any of the other lists I've seen so I have no idea what Lott's criteria is, but it appears to be self serving.

This document has a lot of data. It includes suicides and stabbings, and "near school" incidents, but it looks like it might show where that number could have come from.

http://www.psychceu.com/school_violence/savd.pdf
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Did you guys know an asteroid hit ERF like, 65 million years ago, and killed a lot of stuff? WHERE WAS YOUR CONCERN FOR THE DINOSAURS THEN? HUH? LIBTARD SNOWFLAKES DON'T WANT TO DISCUSS PIZZAGATE AND HILLARY MURDERING KIDS FOR ORGAN HARVESTING.

I swear. It's just unbelievable.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
I had a bipolar itch at the time, so I estimated what it would cost to implement just these two things (I can share my math/reasoning if anyone is curious).

Here's what I conservatively came up with:

$8,182,386,275 One-time Rollout Cost.
$9,911,652,757 Annual Repeating Cost.

ETA: The annual repeating cost would apply to the first year as well, so it would be an estimated $18,094,039,032 the first year to get it off the ground. To put that somewhat in perspective, that's about 16 times more than the FY 2018 budget request for school choice programs.

Oklahoma schools are installing bullet proof safe rooms in schools to be used for shelter in place.

http://www.koco.com/article/healdton-sc ... e/18916416

I don't know how much these cost yet. On the surface, I can't think of any reason not to use these. They don't take up square footage in classrooms because they can be used for other purposes when not in use for shelter in place, so long as teachers leave the space empty of equipment and furniture.

Sure beats what I had to do for shelter in place events.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

Kevin Graham wrote:
Fence Sitter wrote:You know I think the gun nut advocates have a point. Lately it seems that guns aren't killing people, schools are killing people.

Maybe we should just keep people out of schools, that will eliminate school shootings. Easy peasy.

The two people he killed were his parents. On the fourth floor of the school, apparently from a domestic dispute.

#armallparents

Maybe he should ask the judge for leniency on the grounds that he is an orphan.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Well, this is awkward...

A teacher who also serves as a reserve police officer accidentally fired a gun inside a Seaside High School classroom Tuesday, police said, and three students were injured.

http://www.ksbw.com/article/seaside-hig ... s/19426017
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Indeed!

After all, education is not a fundamental right. Get rid of it. Schools kill people.

Wait. I'll be out of a job.

Ahem.

Cough.

Move along. Nothing to see here.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Doctor Steuss wrote:Well, this is awkward...

A teacher who also serves as a reserve police officer accidentally fired a gun inside a Seaside High School classroom Tuesday, police said, and three students were injured.

http://www.ksbw.com/article/seaside-hig ... s/19426017

More evidence that schools are killing people. The teachers are part of the problem.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist