Lawrence Krauss and Allegations Of Sexual Misconduct.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_MrStakhanovite
_Emeritus

Lawrence Krauss and Allegations Of Sexual Misconduct.

Post by _MrStakhanovite »

BuzzFeed News has learned that the incident with Hensley is one of many wide-ranging allegations of Krauss’s inappropriate behavior over the last decade — including groping women, ogling and making sexist jokes to undergrads, and telling an employee at Arizona State University, where he is a tenured professor, that he was going to buy her birth control so she didn’t inconvenience him with maternity leave. In response to complaints, two institutions — Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio, and the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Waterloo, Ontario — have quietly restricted him from their campuses. Our reporting is based on official university documents, emails, and interviews with more than 50 people.

SAUCE. GIF possibly related.

_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: Lawrence Krauss and Allegations Of Sexual Misconduct.

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Hey Stak would you mind popping a copy of your post into this thread?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=47714
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_MrStakhanovite
_Emeritus

Post by _MrStakhanovite »

Jersey Girl wrote:Hey Stak would you mind popping a copy of your post into this thread?

Sure will. There are a number of prominent philosophers that have similar allegations that are not on the list (just now skimmed it) I'll gather up the links and add a post with names and sources.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

MrStakhanovite wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:Hey Stak would you mind popping a copy of your post into this thread?

Sure will. There are a number of prominent philosophers that have similar allegations that are not on the list (just now skimmed it) I'll gather up the links and add a post with names and sources.

Good. Nobody is above this.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

MrStakhanovite wrote:

There's a post on that thread that indicates the last time I updated the list in the OP. I kind of got sloppy and started lobbing them on without categorizing them. Thanks for adding whatever you have because what would those of us who are obsessed do otherwise? ;-)
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

Harassment is a problem and shouldn't be tolerated, but in countries like Mexico, Brazil, Honduras you will never see the national media endlessly talk about harassment. Why? Harassment is nothing compared to other problems they have. In Mexico, Brazil, Honduras and other countries there are powerful drugs cartels kidnapping young middle school girls as young as 13, and have them as sex slaves in illegal brothels. It is happening every day. To repeat, Mexico, Brazil, Honduras and other countries have massive criminal organizations kidnapping young girls. For them harassment is the least of their problems.

I don't understand why the national media endlessly keeps talking about harassment, it bothers me because I feel the media is ignoring other problems (much bigger problems). It seems like if the media wants to only worry about ambiguous harassment.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

There have also been allegations about skeptics like Michael Shermer and Ben Radford. NDT has also been accused. So there is a lot to process there.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

The comments under the Krauss story on friendly atheist blog

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... ple-women/

She said he'd said that he wanted to do some work in his room before dinner. We don't actually know what he said and after years their memories will not be verbatim quotes of what actually occurred let alone body language on other mannerisms. She was interested in his work. He was interested in her sexually..... she stated that he's made a sexually forward comment to which she did not respond. That very easily could have been mistaken for shyness. He asked her out to dinner and to come up to his room. This very easily could be construed by him as sexual interest

martin woyzeck

I don't know this Avatar person, but he's making some points, that are exactly what's being left out of many of these metoo situations.They went out to dinner, and asked her to his room. She said nothing. That's where the problem lies in many of these cases. Not saying anything doesn't say if the interest is sexual or not. Start thinking like mature adults.
When you blindly just side with a woman (and you nor I were there, so I'm not taking his side, but looking at all of it), that is cognitive dissonance, and thus, one loses credibility.

CommentTeleView

Bull. If you're being pushed where you don't want to go, then say so, loud and clear. Women don't generally have a problem saying no, unless they really quite like the idea. Your dysfunctional ambivalence is a big part of the problem.

He let her go because she said she had to go - her first unambiguous statement about what she wanted. She was coy the whole evening, letting him go further and further, and then said she had to go. Maybe he was an asshole, maybe she was, (probably more him, because men tend to be) but so far, no harm done.... Then, when she'd had enough, she said she had to go, and he let her go. It doesn't reflect well on him (or her), but it's only news/gossip because he's a celeb of sorts.

cr0sh

> Flirtation happens, no doubt, but one it only happens in one direction, that's not flirting - that's just being a creep.

So how does this work? If person A flirts with person B, and B's ok with it, and B flirts back - is that ok?

If the A flirts with B, and B's not ok with it - and doesn't flirt back - is A now "being a creep"?

_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Pig

AZ State University ‏ASU has received no complaints from ASU students, faculty or staff related to Lawrence Krauss. The university has initiated a review in an attempt to discern the facts. We encourage anyone who has concerns about faculty, staff or students to report those concerns.