Why the AR-15 is DIFFERENT

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Markk
_Emeritus

Re: Why the AR-15 is DIFFERENT

Post by _Markk »

Gadianton wrote:I've heard that wounding and maiming is a better option tactically as it consumes more enemy resources.

The Japanese snipers would wound and then pick off the medic's and others trying to save the wounded. I've read snipers are taught for a center mass body shoot, one, becasue it is a bigger target and two, and to your point, if it does not kill it wounds and takes more folks off the actual battlefield.

In the high desert toward Vegas recently, there were a bunch of family members and friends that lived in a desert trailer like homestead thing. They were all tweakers.

The head of the "clan" got arrested for an unrelated crime and while he was in custody the others raided his "area" and were taking back junk that he had stole from them. The guys wife was trying to defend the place, and shot a women in the upper back with a 50 dollar pellet gun, and it killed the lady. Granted she was meth addict and probably not very meaty, but to your point about the 22...a small caliber round, even a pellet, can be nasty bouncing around inside.
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Quasimodo wrote:Should we legalize grenades and mines or ban AR-15's? Life is complicated.

Quasi if you start banning claymores pretty soon we're banning concertina wire across bicycle paths. Is there no end to the nanny state?

You're right. I guess I really am a snowflake.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

SteelHead wrote:I'm enriching uranium in my basement. I figure if the government can have a nuclear device, hell, if North Korea can have a nuclear device, why can't I?

Have you noticed loosing hair and bleeding from the gums, lately? Just asking. :wink:
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

Doctor Steuss wrote:Today's musket, amirite?

This may be a bit pricey for the average school shooter, but if you can afford one, go for for it.

_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

Kevin Graham wrote:To those that seem to want to split hairs over the definition of semi-automatic weapons. You need to read this.

What I Saw Treating the Victims From Parkland Should Change the Debate on Guns

From the link you provided:
Heather Sher wrote:A typical AR-15 bullet leaves the barrel traveling almost three times faster than, and imparting more than three times the energy of, a typical 9mm bullet from a handgun.

This probably understates the case. The formula for kinetic energy is: E=1/2 mv^2, where "E" stands for energy, "m" is the mass of the object and "v" is its velocity. Thus the kinetic energy of the bullet is directly proportional to its mass and proportional to the square of its velocity. I'm not sure how the mass of a 9mm bullet compares with the mass of an AR15 bullet, but if they were roughly equal in mass, the AR 15 bullet traveling at 3 times the speed of the 9mm handgun bullet would have about 9 times the kinetic energy and destructive power of the 9mm bullet.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Gunnar wrote:This probably understates the case. The formula for kinetic energy is: E=1/2 mv^2, where "E" stands for energy, "m" is the mass of the object and "v" is its velocity. Thus the kinetic energy of the bullet is directly proportional to its mass and proportional to the square of its velocity. I'm not sure how the mass of a 9mm bullet compares with the mass of an AR15 bullet, but if they were roughly equal in mass, the AR 15 bullet traveling at 3 times the speed of the 9mm handgun bullet would have about 9 times the kinetic energy and destructive power of the 9mm bullet.

Reaction from gun nut: So what you're saying is we should just dismiss this erroneous article...
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

Some Schmo wrote:
Gunnar wrote:This probably understates the case. The formula for kinetic energy is: E=1/2 mv^2, where "E" stands for energy, "m" is the mass of the object and "v" is its velocity. Thus the kinetic energy of the bullet is directly proportional to its mass and proportional to the square of its velocity. I'm not sure how the mass of a 9mm bullet compares with the mass of an AR15 bullet, but if they were roughly equal in mass, the AR 15 bullet traveling at 3 times the speed of the 9mm handgun bullet would have about 9 times the kinetic energy and destructive power of the 9mm bullet.

Reaction from gun nut: So what you're saying is we should just dismiss this erroneous article...

:eek: Yikes! That might be precisely how a gun nut would try to spin that article! Maybe I shouldn't have pointed that out! :lol:
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

It’s fascinating that the same people who get riled up about desecrating the flag do not understand the symbolism of waving around something that obviously looks like a weapon of war in public. People buy and brandish such weapons in order to feel powerful and intimidating, or because they do want to murder others. The rest of us are supposed to live with their intimidation, implicit threats, and increased likelihood of dealing death to others or themselves.

I suppose it is true that they love both symbols as fascists generally do crave feeling the arousal of order through brute strength instead of sublime and salutary reason, democracy, and human dignity. They crave this feeling of power on a visceral level; considering the feelings of others would frustrate and distract them from the object of their animal passions.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

Gunnar wrote:
Kevin Graham wrote:To those that seem to want to split hairs over the definition of semi-automatic weapons. You need to read this.

What I Saw Treating the Victims From Parkland Should Change the Debate on Guns

From the link you provided:
Heather Sher wrote:A typical AR-15 bullet leaves the barrel traveling almost three times faster than, and imparting more than three times the energy of, a typical 9mm bullet from a handgun.

This probably understates the case. The formula for kinetic energy is: E=1/2 mv^2, where "E" stands for energy, "m" is the mass of the object and "v" is its velocity. Thus the kinetic energy of the bullet is directly proportional to its mass and proportional to the square of its velocity. I'm not sure how the mass of a 9mm bullet compares with the mass of an AR15 bullet, but if they were roughly equal in mass, the AR 15 bullet traveling at 3 times the speed of the 9mm handgun bullet would have about 9 times the kinetic energy and destructive power of the 9mm bullet.

There are other variables...design is a huge factor. Some rounds are designed to tumble on impact, some to break up and fragment, some both. Some like wad cutters are meant for target practice and make a clean hole in paper, other rounds are hollow and expand and slow down and do more damage. The jacket also makes a huge difference.

Again per my point to Kevin, and the author that wrote the article, it has nothing to do with the AR-15...you can get a AR-15 in a 9mm caliber also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLCkupJ3rUM
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

The kid chose an AR15 for a reason. Goons and thugs want to feel tough and look intimidating. They want the weapon that was made to kill. So that’s a decent reason to take it away from them.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist