Mitt Romney launches Utah Senate campaign with dig at Trump

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Re: Mitt Romney launches Utah Senate campaign with dig at Tr

Post by _Gunnar »

Dr. Shades wrote:When Romney left his dinner with President-elect Trump, didn't he say that Trump was the right man for this job?

Saying something as ignorant and stupid as that is alone sufficient reason to never trust Romney.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

I swear to God I never thought I would be the guy to defend Romney, but here goes: I think Romney made the complimentary statements while he was still hoping he could have some influence in the administration. Would he have been corrupted? Possibly. But I honestly think Romney wanted to get into the Trump administration to be a voice of reason and sanity, and to hopefully be a check on some of the President's more outlandish ideas. Now I fully admit I could be wrong in my reading of the situation, but if your father is George Romney, I think it would be really hard to look up to Donald Trump.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_DarkHelmet
_Emeritus

Post by _DarkHelmet »

EAllusion wrote:
deacon blues wrote:Makes me wonder if Romney noticed the polls that indicate Utahans, and Mormons in particular, favor Trump. :confused:

Mormons like Trump a little less than the median Republican according to polling data. Part of that might be they are more principled about him being everything their religion says is wrong, but a bigger part probably is Romney's mild tension with him.

Romney is to Mormons what Obama is to black people. Romney losing Utah would be far more stunning than Doug Jones winning Alabama.

From my own personal experience, I know several Mormons who used to like Romney but hate him now because of his opposition to Trump. I'm not sure why Mormons like Trump so much, other than his cult leader personality that is similar to Joseph Smith/Brigham Young.
"We have taken up arms in defense of our liberty, our property, our wives, and our children; we are determined to preserve them, or die."
- Captain Moroni - 'Address to the Inhabitants of Canada' 1775
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Themis wrote:
Dr. Shades wrote:Judging from Romney's remarks, would you say that Trump indeed got what he wanted?

Not sure what you mean.

Here's what I mean: In my opinion, Romney's remarks after his dinner with Trump do indeed count as the "groveling" that Trump wanted to watch him do. Therefore, I think Trump got what he wanted out of Romney.

Do you agree or disagree with my opinion?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

Dr. Shades wrote:Here's what I mean: In my opinion, Romney's remarks after his dinner with Trump do indeed count as the "groveling" that Trump wanted to watch him do. Therefore, I think Trump got what he wanted out of Romney.

Do you agree or disagree with my opinion?

Yes I was implying that Romney did grovel at Trumps feet. He knew he would have to, but should have known Trump was never going to give him the job. Other politicians are known to give their main rival critics top jobs under them In order to try and unite their party, but you don't have to know much about Trump to know he doesn't have the decent kind of personalty to do this.
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Post by _Brackite »

Trump endorses Romney in run for U.S. Senate seat in Utah:
https://www.google.com/amp/mobile.reute ... SKCN1G406B

Mitt Romney accepts Trump's endorsement in campaign for Senate:
https://www.google.com/amp/abcnews.go.c ... d=53208232
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

It's just the usual politics. They are both in the same party. Trump knows he is the heavy favorite so now will try and butter him up. Romney is smart to accept his endorsement. It doesn't cost anything and doesn't run the rick of alienating Trump supporters more then he has so far. A democrat is very unlikely to win, and I'm not sure those who may run against Romney for the nomination are bigger critics of Trump then him.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Themis wrote:It's just the usual politics. They are both in the same party. Trump knows he is the heavy favorite so now will try and butter him up. Romney is smart to accept his endorsement. It doesn't cost anything and doesn't run the rick of alienating Trump supporters more then he has so far. A democrat is very unlikely to win, and I'm not sure those who may run against Romney for the nomination are bigger critics of Trump then him.

Mitt will play nice to get in. Then let the wild rumpus start! :lol:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov