How do we all feel about Military Parades?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Re: How do we all feel about Military Parades?

Post by _Maksutov »

honorentheos wrote:
Maksutov wrote:
A highlight of my trip to Paris was seeing the bullet holes in the national assembly building. :lol:

I keep forgetting we're supposed to take Trump figuratively but seriously rather than literally but not seriously...or whatever the code was for ignoring what he actually says in favor of whatever one wants to have heard him say.

I don't have a clue how we're supposed to take him. I never got started watching that "reality" dreck and so didn't risk the zombification. He's a real estate business man dabbling in politics. He isn't serious, even now. He's still performing. He's an amateur, a hobbyist. Some professionals are using him and he's using them in his childish way. It isn't real for him. Just my impressions.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

Maksutov wrote:Do you see anywhere where I say we should not honor the troops? Do you? No. So why are you putting that in my mouth, Markk? Is a lie the best you've got?

I'm saying this is cheap patriotism and a cheap demonstration of supporting the troops. You defending a draft dodger who thinks that he can fake his way to manhood by surrounding himself with uniforms. That's about him, Markk. I don't know what TV shows you've watched and really don't think they're relevant in the least to what we're talking about.

I will change my mind when I see a reason to. You're the one refusing to engage. You're the one making an unconditional defense of every impulse that comes out of the mouth of this man. You're the one who thinks we should all be obeying the whims of a lying fraud and calling it "honoring the troops". You're making a dishonorable pussy grabbing draft dodging adulterous narcissist your moral center. Good job.

When you throw a rock in a pack of dogs, the one that yelps is the one that got hit.

I am in noway saying that you are a dog...my point is I know I hit a nerve with you when you throw either or aggressive, or in this case a passive aggressive jab at my faith.

You lost it a bit in this last post.

Again, the parade would not be about Trump, but our troops.
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Markk wrote:
Maksutov wrote:Do you see anywhere where I say we should not honor the troops? Do you? No. So why are you putting that in my mouth, Markk? Is a lie the best you've got?

I'm saying this is cheap patriotism and a cheap demonstration of supporting the troops. You defending a draft dodger who thinks that he can fake his way to manhood by surrounding himself with uniforms. That's about him, Markk. I don't know what TV shows you've watched and really don't think they're relevant in the least to what we're talking about.

I will change my mind when I see a reason to. You're the one refusing to engage. You're the one making an unconditional defense of every impulse that comes out of the mouth of this man. You're the one who thinks we should all be obeying the whims of a lying fraud and calling it "honoring the troops". You're making a dishonorable pussy grabbing draft dodging adulterous narcissist your moral center. Good job.

When you throw a rock in a pack of dogs, the one that yelps is the one that got hit.

I am in noway saying that you are a dog...my point is I know I hit a nerve with you when you throw either or aggressive, or in this case a passive aggressive jab at my faith.

You lost it a bit in this last post.

Again, the parade would not be about Trump, but our troops.

Okay, you're calling me a dog. Me being a dog doesn't change the character of the puke you worship, though, does it? His actions stand alone without me.

What are you gibbering about your faith? I remember a lot of good religious people being horrified by him. But they got over it because, like Satan, he offered them power on earth. :cool:

You'd like to make it about me. Everybody can see that's what you're attempting, you've done it before to others upthread. It's pretty cowardly, Markk. And it doesn't work. Why don't you own the flaws of your boy? How many different ways can you try and deflect this?

Nobody wants it but Trump and the people who want Trump to get everything he wants like some kind of squalling infant. Good grief. Have some dignity. This isn't his company, this is the United States of America.
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

Markk wrote:Again, the parade would not be about Trump, but our troops.

Why do you keep insisting this is the case despite Trump's actual words being about something else? Are you making demands of the President that the parade he wants be about honoring the troops or you won't support it? Or just playing partisan political sports on a message board?
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

honorentheos wrote:
Markk wrote:Again, the parade would not be about Trump, but our troops.

Why do you keep insisting this is the case despite Trump's actual words being about something else? Are you making demands of the President that the parade he wants be about honoring the troops or you won't support it? Or just playing partisan political sports on a message board?

It could also be this...

Markk is not a bad person. I think he really believes we have the president he was hoping Trump would be. This is a hard moment for conservatives. I would love to see John Kasich trade places with Trump overnight. And I don't love Kasich by any means.
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

Maksutov wrote:
It could also be this...

Markk is not a bad person. I think he really believes we have the president he was hoping Trump would be. This is a hard moment for conservatives. I would love to see John Kasich trade places with Trump overnight. And I don't love Kasich by any means.

Go back and read my posts when trump got elected...he was not even close t being my choice...in fact my choice was John Kasich.

My point on this thread started out stating that there is no way a parade would cost billions of dollars...which folks were actually buying here.

It morphed into where we are now. You and others here are fixated and embellishing everything this guy does, when in fact he is just another lying politician...no worse, and obviously others believe better than the other choices we had, or he would not be elected.

The Russian thing is a joke...after all this there is absolutely no evidence he colluded with the Russians...and know after one statement from him about a parade for the military...you're making him out to be a third world dictator in uniform.

Like the right was on Bill Clinton during the Monica thing...it won't stop...I can only imagine if social media was then what it is now.

I hope as I get older I am more of a pragmatist. In the end, unless we have major issues with a North Korea, he will most likely be a 1 term president and the pundents, and their clone nations, will move on to their next target...just like they did with WJC, GWB, Obama, and now Trump.
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

honorentheos wrote:Why do you keep insisting this is the case despite Trump's actual words being about something else? Are you making demands of the President that the parade he wants be about honoring the troops or you won't support it? Or just playing partisan political sports on a message board?

Because it will be about the Troops if you let it be about the Troops. The parade is not even planned with the details decided.

It is kind of funny you accuse me of playing partisan politics given the "pundits" that frequent this board. Do me a favor, and I am serious about this, read the thread titles going back a few years and who authored them along wit subject context... and then tell me who are those "playing sports."
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Markk wrote:It morphed into where we are now. You and others here are fixated and embellishing everything this guy does, when in fact he is just another lying politician...no worse, and obviously others believe better than the other choices we had, or he would not be elected.

I never cease to be amazed at just how terrible at judging character Drumpf supporters/enablers are.

Drumpf is just another politician like ISIS is just another religious movement.

Markk wrote:The Russian thing is a joke...after all this there is absolutely no evidence he colluded with the Russians...

Look! A postcard from another universe!
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Maksutov wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:Visit your nearest VA hospital and clinics. See how you might be of service to those who gave service. Sometimes a cup of coffee and a little conversation go a long way.

You can greet the veterans at the door, help them to and from their cars, drive the little golf carts through the hallways in the big hospitals to take the less ambulatory. They need volunteers but you will have to get a background check and put up with really crappy parking. I recommend it. It's for the former troops. Nothing spectacular. Just pure love of country and your fellow American.

The DAV and American Legion and VFW often have projects you can help with. Same with the Marine Corps League.

I'm embarrassed to say that I had no idea you could volunteer at a VA hospital. There's one on my side of town (eek!).

Thank you both for the fantastic idea!
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

Markk, when has anything in your life "just happened"? Do buildings renovate themselves if you just let them renovate themselves? If an architect issued a set of plans with dangerously sloppy omissions would you assume the building will be built safely if you just let it?

There are direct reports on what Trump asked for from the staff involved, the context in which it occurred, and the President's own words that all feed into raising serious questions regarding his motivation for having American taxpayers sponsor a major unbudgeted event. And I really don't think you and I are far off from one another on the very specific question of if our vets of the recent wars are deserving of public recognition. I'm inclined to agree with Doc that most of them would probably view having to mob to D.C. for a parade as an unwelcomed pain in the ass. But that's because so many of them are pros at what they do and did. And you would be right to guess I don't view the sitting President with the same regard so I'm skeptical of attempts by surrogates such as yourself to say the event is intended to be a recognition of the service of men and women in the armed forces.

So if we're close on our view that the parade is reasonable if legitimately planned and executed as a means of recognition for the "troops", and that an event that turns into a televised dog show but with the military machinery instead of mastiffs on display would be inexcusable, what explains our disagreement over whether we should make it clear that we don't support the latter but are ok with the first idea?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa