Steelworkers Upset with Trump

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Steelworkers Upset with Trump

Post by _Kevin Graham »

Steelworkers union president ‘disappointed’ and ‘frustrated’ with Trump

The president of the United Steelworkers union says the group is "terribly disappointed" with President Trump, who he says has done nothing to protect American jobs since taking office last January.

In an interview with CNN, United Steelworkers President Leo Gerard said that American workers are in some ways worse off now than they were just a year ago.

"We're terribly disappointed and hugely frustrated," Gerard told CNN. "There's been no action that has done anything to protect and defend American jobs. ... In some cases we're worse off now than we were then."

Chief among Gerard's concerns is the Trump administration's investigation, announced last April, into steel and aluminum imports from China and other countries suspected of violating trade practices.

At the time, Trump called the investigation “a historic day for American steel and, most importantly, for American steelworkers," and predicted that his administration would take action stemming from the investigation by the summer. So far, no action has been taken.

Part of the Trump administration's dialing back of pressure on China has been due to North Korean aggression, which Trump hopes China will help the U.S. solve.

In December, he told The New York Times that he has been "soft" on China for the sake of issues of national security, but wouldn't dismiss the possibility of tightening the screws on China's trade practices in the future.

"China's hurting us very badly on trade, but I have been soft on China because the only thing more important to me than trade is war, OK?" Trump said.

“Oil is going into North Korea. That wasn’t my deal!” he added. “If they don’t help us with North Korea, then I do what I’ve always said I want to do.”
_Bach
_Emeritus

Re: Steelworkers Upset with Trump

Post by _Bach »

Probably because of his weight - eh. These guys are loving the economic expansion. Many probably want to dump their union card after lack of work under Obama!
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Re: Steelworkers Upset with Trump

Post by _Philo Sofee »

They stupidly believed the billionaire was concerned with them?!? So they voted him in? :lol: :lol: :lol: Jesus, the ignorance from not knowing history rears its head again.......
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."