13 Siblings Chained and Tortured by Parents

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

13 Siblings Chained and Tortured by Parents

Post by _Kevin Graham »

WHAT THE “F” IS THIS WORLD COMING TO?

13 Siblings ‘Held Captive’ By Parents, Some In Chains And Starving, Police Say

The siblings, ranging from ages 2 to 29, were found padlocked to beds and malnourished.
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Re: 13 Siblings Chained and Tortured by Parents

Post by _MeDotOrg »

To me, the creepiest part of this story is the absolute banality of evil. Look at the house that their neighbors saw:

So, not the nicest house in town but not a horrible blight on the neighborhood. This had to be going on for a long long time. What clues do people miss?
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

MeDotOrg wrote:What clues do people miss?

These clues. From the article linked in the OP:

Mike Clifford, 60, told HuffPost that the family lived across the street from him in a rental home in Murrieta, about 19 miles south of Perris, a few years ago. He rarely saw the family, he said, but he did recall incidents that stood out to him and his wife as strange.

“They used to march over and over in circles in their upstairs,” he said of the kids. This behavior, which Clifford said he would see late at night as he was getting home from work, went on “for hours.”

Same neighbor.

Clifford said that in the two and a half years the Turpins were their neighbors, he and his wife never saw anything that made them want to call 911.

Same neighbor.

“I wish I had noticed something that would have made me want to say something, but it never got to that point,” he said.

Same neighbor.

He said he doesn’t know why the kids were doing it, but “it was happening quite often.”

“I’d notice it and I’d say, ‘Wow, those kids are marching again,’” he recalled telling his wife, who he said was on vacation at the time of HuffPost’s interview.

The marching happened on a fairly regular basis and went on "for hours". There are other descriptors in the article. One is where Clifford's wife said the children seemed robotic.

He's right. This doesn't warrant a 911 call. I would have called LE and requested that they do a welfare check on the children. There's no guarantee that a welfare check would have resulted in discovery. I would have taken my chances and called it in.

God.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I remember that guy in Cleveland who kept some women in captivity for 11 YEARS. No one knew. Makes you wonder how many people are in a dungeon somewhere right this very moment. *shivers*

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

According to the article the grandmother thought they were model Christians:

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/01/ ... ndparents/

The father stated they had 13 kids because that was God's will. This begs all sorts of questions I don't feel like tapping out right now...

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.