Discuss this article re: President mental health exam

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

Re: Discuss this article re: President mental health exam

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

i serve you
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:So...

No one can force President to subject himself to a mental health evaluation.

Even if he did subject himself to a mental health evaluation and failed it*...

The doctor couldn't disclose the evaluation results without consent from President.

President sure as heck isn't going to disclose the evaluation results.

So...what's the point of the docs urging the White House doc to conduct the eval?

There isn't any.

*Failed it=evidence of dementia.

Sometimes folks push an issue in the hope that, by doing do, something will happen even though they have no good reason to expect that it will. Sometimes folks believe that by doing something, they will at least have tried. I think it’s a little harsh to say there is no reason for doing it.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

Res Ipsa wrote:Sometimes folks push an issue in the hope that, by doing do, something will happen even though they have no good reason to expect that it will. Sometimes folks believe that by doing something, they will at least have tried. I think it’s a little harsh to say there is no reason for doing it.

sometimes not doing something works ***

Mahātmā Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi (/ˈɡɑːndi, ˈɡæn-/; Hindustani: [ˈmoːɦənd̪aːs ˈkərəmtʃənd̪ ˈɡaːnd̪ʱi] (2 October 1869 – 30 January 1948) was an Indian activist who was the leader of the Indian independence movement against British rule. Employing nonviolent civil disobedience, Gandhi led India to independence and inspired movements for civil rights and freedom across the world.
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahatma_Gandhi)

Civil disobedience is the active, professed refusal of a citizen to obey certain laws of the state, and/or demands, orders, and commands of a government, or of an occupying international power. Civil disobedience is sometimes defined as having to be nonviolent to be called civil disobedience. Civil disobedience is sometimes, therefore, equated with nonviolent resistance.
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_disobedience)

Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Trump's language skills seem to be disintegrating to me. You have to watch him talk directly rather than read journalists generously editing his comments to provide some coherence, but his ability to speak seems increasingly screwed. It's not like it was good in 2015, but it feels worse to me now. I don't put much stock in my subjective observations here, but I'd love to see an analysis of his extemporaneous comments over the past 5 years.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

EAllusion wrote:Trump's language skills seem to be disintegrating to me. You have to watch him talk directly rather than read journalists generously editing his comments to provide some coherence, but his ability to speak seems increasingly screwed. It's not like it was good in 2015, but it feels worse to me now. I don't put much stock in my subjective observations here, but I'd love to see an analysis of his extemporaneous comments over the past 5 years.

Part of his garbled language problem is just his own obstinate nature. He'll start mispronouncing a word and in an attempt to hide it, act like that's what he meant to say. He's so damned terrified of making public mistakes that he makes them incessantly.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Perfume on my Mind wrote:
EAllusion wrote:Trump's language skills seem to be disintegrating to me. You have to watch him talk directly rather than read journalists generously editing his comments to provide some coherence, but his ability to speak seems increasingly ____. It's not like it was good in 2015, but it feels worse to me now. I don't put much stock in my subjective observations here, but I'd love to see an analysis of his extemporaneous comments over the past 5 years.

Part of his garbled language problem is just his own obstinate nature. He'll start mispronouncing a word and in an attempt to hide it, act like that's what he meant to say. He's so ____ terrified of making public mistakes that he makes them incessantly.

I'm not referring to the Trump phenomenon where he flubs something he was supposed to say and rolls with it to the best of his ability. That's a thing. What I'm referring to his his ability to string words together in a coherent, grammatical way that stays on an idea. It seems to be getting worse. It goes beyond his word-finding problems. The syntax and even phonology are falling apart. It's not as obvious if you read quotes of him in the press because journalists are editing him down to sound more sensible than he is being. He's struggling to just speak and it seems to be getting worse. To me, anyway. Again, I'm not putting too much stock in my personal sense here. I'm of course aware this is what you'd expect in a progression of dementia, and this looks an awful lot like progression of Alzheimer's type dementia to me.

While I do have some professional expertise in this area, I'm not armchair diagnosing him here. I really don't know. I am throwing the observation out there as idle chat in case anyone else is seeing the same thing.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

EAllusion wrote:I'm not referring to the Trump phenomenon where he flubs something he was supposed to say and rolls with it to the best of his ability. That's a thing. What I'm referring to his his ability to string words together in a coherent, grammatical way that stays on an idea. It seems to be getting worse. It goes beyond his word-finding problems. The syntax and even phonology are falling apart. It's not as obvious if you read quotes of him in the press because journalists are editing him down to sound more sensible than he is being. He's struggling to just speak and it seems to be getting worse. To me, anyway. Again, I'm not putting too much stock in my personal sense here. I'm of course aware this is what you'd expect in a progression of dementia, and this looks an awful lot like progression of Alzheimer's type dementia to me.

Ah, gotcha.

Yeah, it's hard for me to say whether I think that's gotten worse or not. Since the time we've been having to listen to him as a political figure, he's sounded incoherent to me (so, ya know... I'm biased). Everything he says sounds like an unprepared book report. He starts a sentence and ends it four subjects later. That's why it's taken so long for me to accept that some people don't see what a fake he is, or worse, think it's a good idea to hire him to lead the country. He was incoherent in what little I saw of The Apprentice.

Is it getting worse? Maybe. It's just that if you start out as a total “F” up, can you get more total “F” up? Doesn't seem logically possible.

I guess what I'm saying is that if he is getting worse, he's camouflaged it with a history of insane behavior.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

EA,

Observe his press conference (Q&A) with the President of Finland. His lack of fluency (which is the characteristic I think you're referring to) is detectable there. I don't have time to go through a video and pull time stamps right now.

ETA: There's also something recent (rally?) where he slurs the word "choice" and seems to struggle for other words. That could easily be due to fatigue though. Whatever speech I saw and am referring to are much like the time he slurred United States of America, I believe it was. If you observe him like I do, you'll know what I'm talking about. It will put you in mind of apraxia of speech.

Verbal covfefe.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Jersey Girl wrote:ETA: There's also something recent (rally?) where he slurs the word "choice" and seems to struggle for other words. That could easily be due to fatigue though. Whatever speech I saw and am referring to are much like the time he slurred United States of America, I believe it was. If you observe him like I do, you'll know what I'm talking about. It will put you in mind of apraxia of speech.

Verbal covfefe.

He's been slurring more frequently. There's several examples of it. Slurring speech, broken syntax, struggles with phonetics, word-finding difficulties, losing the topic of a sentence while speaking it - these are the hallmarks of Alzheimer's speech problems.
_aussieguy55
_Emeritus

Post by _aussieguy55 »

If Trump displays narcissistic behavior and is delusional behavior is that a problem? These folks seem to think so The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump 27 psychiatrists and mental health experts assess a President.
Hilary Clinton " I won the places that represent two-thirds of America's GDP.I won in places are optimistic diverse, dynamic, moving forward"