New Years Day Success And Failure!

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Re: New Years Day Success And Failure!

Post by _Ceeboo »

Xenophon wrote:
Ceeboo wrote:So, if anyone has a chicken wing success story - I'm here, waiting, listening?

I'm here to save your wings, Ceeboo! :smile:

I saw this video with Chaz Brown of Seoul Chicken a few years ago and it changed how I do wings. He will give you step by step instructions one what to do and give you some tips that sounds crazy but work super well (freeze the chicken between initial cook and final fry!). I've found that if you follow his advice you will be pretty good.

Thanks X! :smile:

I will give this a go!

Peace,
Ceeboo
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

Ceeboo wrote:Here is a complete failure!

I love me some chicken wings. Many moons ago I lived in the Cleveland area - they had a place called "The Winking Lizard" that had the best chicken wings on planet earth. They have sweet and sour, hot, BBQ, etc.

Well, I have tried to make chicken wings about 37 times - using all kinds of different recipes (dry rubs, wet sauces, fried, baked, etc) and have yet to make terrific wings.

So, if anyone has a chicken wing success story - I'm here, waiting, listening?

Peace,
Ceeboo

Perhaps you're starting with the wrong ingredients. Is there such a thing as raccoon wings?

Happy New Year, Pal.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

Hey friend! :smile:

Happy New Year!

Quasimodo wrote:
Ceeboo wrote:Here is a complete failure!

I love me some chicken wings. Many moons ago I lived in the Cleveland area - they had a place called "The Winking Lizard" that had the best chicken wings on planet earth. They have sweet and sour, hot, BBQ, etc.

Well, I have tried to make chicken wings about 37 times - using all kinds of different recipes (dry rubs, wet sauces, fried, baked, etc) and have yet to make terrific wings.

So, if anyone has a chicken wing success story - I'm here, waiting, listening?

Peace,
Ceeboo

Perhaps you're starting with the wrong ingredients. Is there such a thing as raccoon wings?

Happy New Year, Pal.

Raccoon wings?
I was thinking about trying whale wings -

I think I might need a bigger fryer though! :smile:
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Unfortunately, the real key to having awesome restaurant style wings is deep-frying them. That's how you get the juicy meat and a crisp skin ready to absorb the sauce. Not many people sport deep fryers in their kitchens, but if you put enough veg oil in a pan (or whatever kind of oil you like), you can almost approximate a deep fryer.

In terms of wing sauce, I like just about any Louisiana hot sauce brand (Frank's, Red Hot) but I have to say that lately, I've been really enjoying Food Lion generic hot sauce (I bought it on a dare - seriously). It's almost unbelievable to me how good their sauce is, given it's the cheapest around. You can really taste the cayenne in it (in a good way), and it's not overtly tangy like Frank's seems to be.

And of course, you have to finish the wings with proper blue cheese dressing, otherwise you're just wasting time and calories. I usually find the best blue cheese dressing is "homemade" in restaurants, however. Hard to find an awesome blue cheese off the shelf.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

Hey Schmo! :smile:

Some Schmo wrote:And of course, you have to finish the wings with proper blue cheese dressing, otherwise you're just wasting time and calories.

This is so crazy to me - I dislike blue cheese dressing quite a bit - like I would never use it - but on hot wings.......... I love it! :lol:
It's an absolute must for hot wings.

It's really bizarre - the hot sauce and blue cheese go together so freaking good. I really don't get it but they are magnificent together.

One of the mysteries of life I suppose.

Peace,
Ceeboo