Orrin Hatch to Retire

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Orrin Hatch to Retire

Post by _honorentheos »

The Wall Street Journal is reporting Senator Hatch announced he will retire rather than run for another term. They didn't have any more detail.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Re: Orrin Hatch to Retire

Post by _Ceeboo »

Hey Honor! :smile:

honorentheos wrote:The Wall Street Journal is reporting Senator Hatch announced he will retire rather than run for another term. They didn't have any more detail.

The NY Times suggests that, at age 83, the longest serving Senate Republican has made the decision after talking it over with his family recently. The article also suggests that it opens the door for Romney.

We shall see.

Peace,
Ceeboo
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

Can he really make the move to remove his head from out of Trump's ass? Even to retire? :eek:
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

I'm glad he's retiring. 42 years is a long time. I seem to remember reading that the vast majority of Utah residents were born after he became a senator.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

MeDotOrg wrote:I'm glad he's retiring. 42 years is a long time. I seem to remember reading that the vast majority of Utah residents were born after he became a senator.

I thought he was the thirteenth apostle and would serve until death.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

My best Orrin Hatch story is that in the debate season lead up to the New Hampshire primary for the 2000 election, Orrin Hatch was asked by a journalist what he thought the most significant issue for the upcoming election was. He answered "terrorism." Chris Matthews on Hardball used that anecdote and an amusing example of how out of touch he was.

If I was Orin Hatch, I don't know how I would avoid letting that "I don't you so" burn in my soul forever.

And if anyone ever finds the clip of that moment, I'd be so very grateful to you.
_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Post by _Xenophon »

Not sure if this is what you were looking for, EA.

In a sub 1-hour Q&A he mentions terrorism some 5 or 6 times (you can search the transcript below the video) which was pretty heavy-handed in Jan 2000. I'd have to go back to re-watch them but I remember most of the actual primary debates for the GOP centered around health care, tax reform, China and DOJ/Clinton corruption so his responses would have seemed probably "off-topic" for the prevailing message at the time.

It wouldn't surprise me that some pundits might have roasted him for this; 20-20 hindsight and all.
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens
_Always Changing
_Emeritus

Post by _Always Changing »

Themis wrote:
MeDotOrg wrote:I'm glad he's retiring. 42 years is a long time. I seem to remember reading that the vast majority of Utah residents were born after he became a senator.

I thought he was the thirteenth apostle and would serve until death.

I am wondering whether the church gave directions on this issue, in order to make room for Romney. A bit odd, given the superannuated leaders of the church, though.
Problems with auto-correct:
In Helaman 6:39, we see the Badmintons, so similar to Skousenite Mormons, taking over the government and abusing the rights of many.
_Uncle Ed
_Emeritus

Post by _Uncle Ed »

Hatch is the longest serving Repub senator in history. Leahy is the longest serving senator at the present time.
A man should never step a foot into the field,
But have his weapons to hand:
He knows not when he may need arms,
Or what menace meet on the road. - Hávamál 38

Man's joy is in Man. - Hávamál 47