When Fox Speaks of a Cleansing

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Re: When Fox Speaks of a Cleansing

Post by _Res Ipsa »

i thought they meant they all wanted to do a liver cleanse. Oops.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

moksha may be referring to a disturbing rant by Jeanine Pirro:

https://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/fox-news-jeanine-pirro-delivers-her-most-disturbing-monologue-trumps-presidency

Pirro is a hate-monger. She’s the closest thing I’ve seen to a real life Lewis Prothero on American television.

Check this looney crap out:

I for one am tired of investigations, politicians posturing. Something more has to be done. The stench coming out of the DOJ and FBI is like that of a Third World country where money and boys and clubs decide elections.”
Last edited by Guest on Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Kishkumen wrote:moksha may be referring to a disturbing rant by Jeanine Pirro:

https://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politics/fox-news-jeanine-pirro-delivers-her-most-disturbing-monologue-trumps-presidency

Pirro is a hate-monger. She’s the closest thing I’ve seen to a real life Lewis Prothero on American television.

This is the most overt example, but there's been a lot of chatter in right wing media either calling for or legitimazing a purge of people not loyal to Trump in the FBI. Comments from Republican politicians that have ranged from evasive to cryptic to seemingly supportive of this has fueled speculation it might happen given that this is exactly the kind of authoritarian attack on the civil service you'd expect from Trump and his ideological backers. Hence this thread.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

You’d think we’re living in Erdogan’s Turkey. These people are nucking futs. I have zero sympathy for anyone who excuses this BS. Can we send you goons back in time to Hitler’s Germany so you can find the kind of paradise you are dreaming of? The rest of us did not need any more convincing that fascists and Nazis are losers.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Kishkumen wrote:You’d think we’re living in Erdogan’s Turkey. These people are nucking futs. I have zero sympathy for anyone who excuses this BS. Can we send you goons back in time to Hitler’s Germany so you can find the kind of paradise you are dreaming of? The rest of us did not need any more convincing that fascists and Nazis are losers.

I think we're basically under Erdogan with much better institutions to hopefully constrain the collapse of a true democracy. What worries me is that Republicans are getting worse, not better and the trends driving that overall trend haven't gone away. We can't have a major political party broken like that and last forever. What the North Carolina GOP has been doing is the canary in the coal mine of what federal enduring authoritarian control by Republicans would look like, and we're not that far off from it give or take a few breaks.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

And right on cue, the the NYT has this story up today that contains this quote:

But two people who have spoken to the president recently said that he was far more frustrated with the attorney general, Jeff Sessions, and the F.B.I. director, Christopher A. Wray, than Mr. Mueller. Mr. Trump has said that Mr. Wray has not moved quickly enough to rid the bureau of senior officials who were biased against Mr. Trump and had worked for James B. Comey, the director whom Mr. Trump fired in May.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/17/us/p ... mails.html
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

EAllusion wrote:I think we're basically under Erdogan with much better institutions to hopefully constrain the collapse of a true democracy. What worries me is that Republicans are getting worse, not better and the trends driving that overall trend haven't gone away. We can't have a major political party broken like that and last forever. What the North Carolina GOP has been doing is the canary in the coal mine of what federal enduring authoritarian control by Republicans would look like, and we're not that far off from it give or take a few breaks.

I hope we haven’t reached the point of no return. This has been a long time in coming. When the Dems tacked to the right economically, the only play the GOP has was to double down on cultural craziness and economic libertinism just to avoid redundancy. Now there are few strong voices of reason and moderation in the GOP. Who will bring the sanity back is no longer a viable question so much as which catastrophe will force us back to sanity? I am not eager to find out.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

EAllusion wrote:And right on cue, the the NYT has this story up today that contains this quote:

But two people who have spoken to the president recently said that he was far more frustrated with the attorney general, Jeff Sessions, and the F.B.I. director, Christopher A. Wray, than Mr. Mueller. Mr. Trump has said that Mr. Wray has not moved quickly enough to rid the bureau of senior officials who were biased against Mr. Trump and had worked for James B. Comey, the director whom Mr. Trump fired in May.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/17/us/p ... mails.html

Yikes!

“I won’t fire them,” says Trump, “I’ll just fire the guys who don’t fire them quickly enough.”