CTE

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

CTE

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

A large number of former American football (NFL) players have been diagnosed with or have suffered from chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE. A definitive diagnosis so far can be made only post-mortem.

see a list on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_players_with_chronic_traumatic_encephalopathy ...

Chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) is a neurodegenerative disease found in people who have had multiple head injuries. Symptoms may include behavioral problems, mood problems, and problems with thinking. This typically does not begin until years after the injuries. It often gets worse over time and can result in dementia.

Most documented cases have occurred in athletes involved in contact sports such as American football, wrestling, ice hockey, and football.

If a test to diagnose CTE existed, would you take it?
( https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/13/nfl-c ... g-patients )

KIRK COUSINS, Redskins QB: Yeah, sure. I think there are other guys who would say, “I’m going to play, regardless; CTE is not going to change the way I approach the game, so why would I want that hanging over my head?” I’m in a different position as a QB. My head’s not getting hit every play. There are things I can do to avoid that—slide, get out of bounds . . . .

TAHIR WHITEHEAD, Lions OLB: For sure. I think it would be a good idea to make it a part of youth football and to have people get periodically checked.

RYAN KALIL, Panthers C: If there was a test, yeah. But knowing that I have CTE—or that I don’t—wouldn’t be enough.

CHRIS LONG, Eagles DE: I would take it—but I would also be very careful not to assign, like, predictable behavior to my results. I don’t believe it’s a slam dunk that if you have CTE you’re going to “lose it.” We’re probably the last generation that will have no idea what’s going on [in our brains]. I think the next generation is really going to know a lot.

ARTIE BURNS, Steelers CB: I definitely know I have it. I’m going to [test positive for] CTE. I don’t need a test. Is it going to tell me how much I have? We play a physical sport, man. Humans are not made to run into each other.

DION JORDAN, Seahawks DE: No. Not right now.

apparently they have it; no test is necessary...
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.
_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

Re: CTE

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

Indianapolis Colts tight end Brandon Williams was carted off the field with a head injury after blocking on a special teams play.

(https://www.sbnation.com/2017/12/14/167 ... carted-off)
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

Ben Roethlisberger, long-time Pittsburgh Steelers QB, has said he wouldn't let his own son play football.

As more and more people become aware of the dangers of CTE, I think your going to see a lot more mothers refusing to let their kids go out for football. I think the NFL is VERY aware of this trend. So many of their commercials are tied to making football a family thing, a necessary American social bonding agent.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

The death knell for football in general will be when they have a reliable test on live subjects, especially one that can assign degrees. Players will be able to see how much their disease has progressed while they were at college or at a professional level which will allow the lawsuits to begin targeting specific institutions. This is going to have a ripple affect on a lot of other sports, like hockey, rugby, pro-wrestling, MMA and so on. Any sport that exposes an athlete to head injury, intentional or otherwise and is an income generating sport at collegiate or the professional level, is going to be negatively affected. This will also trickle down to high school.

Football and maybe some of these other sports will be sued out of meaningful existence at that point.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Always Changing
_Emeritus

Post by _Always Changing »

If they had known the condition of Aaron Hernandez's brain, would they have dealt with him in a more understanding way? https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/a ... daa7a1d537 It chills me.
Problems with auto-correct:
In Helaman 6:39, we see the Badmintons, so similar to Skousenite Mormons, taking over the government and abusing the rights of many.
_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

Fence Sitter wrote:...
This is going to have a ripple affect on a lot of other sports, like hockey, rugby, pro-wrestling, MMA and so on.
boxing, maybe...
Medical concerns
See also: Dementia pugilistica (=CTE)
Knocking a person unconscious or even causing a concussion may cause permanent brain damage. There is no clear division between the force required to knock a person out and the force likely to kill a person. Since 1980, more than 200 amateur boxers, professional boxers and Toughman fighters have died due to ring or training injuries. In 1983, editorials in the Journal of the American Medical Association called for a ban on boxing. The editor, Dr. George Lundberg, called boxing an "obscenity" that "should not be sanctioned by any civilized society." Since then, the British, Canadian and Australian Medical Associations have called for bans on boxing.

Fence Sitter wrote:...
Football and maybe some of these other sports will be sued out of meaningful existence at that point.
sports? hitting each other?

from Kazohinia by Sándor Szathmári, an utopia/dystopia modelled partly on Gulliver's Travels by the Irishman Jonathan Swift, and therefore pertains to both utopian and travel genres.

...we arrived at the shukk. We reached an enclosed area outside the rail of which many people were standing.

We had scarcely been there two minutes when two Behins suddenly dashed into the enclosure, eyes flashing with fury, and huge clubs in their hands. They began to thrash each other about the head and back and within a short space of time blood was streaming all over the place and their skin hung in shreds.

I cried for help, even the crowd began to shout inarticulately, but nobody attempted to separate them. Finally, I myself jumped over the rail but they grasped me and pulled me out. I demanded the separation of the adversaries in vain. They answered that it was a shukk and I should keep my mouth shut.

Around the two maniacs there was a third jumping about, who likewise had not the slightest intention of separating them. He only watched the fight and from time to time called out to them, "Bruf!"

And the crowd in ecstasy after him shouted, "Bruf! Bruf!"

It appeared therefore that the third person in the enclosure incited the fighters and the crowd. The only strange thing was that some of the mass in turn shouted: "No bruf! No bruf!"

Whereupon those who were bruffing hooted them down.

At the time I took it that there were still some sensible people in the crowd who resisted the incitement. But not at all! Later I came to know that bruf meant something entirely different, but to this very day I have no clear idea what.

The fight ended when the skull of one of the fighters caved in with a loud crack; the crowd gave a yell, rushed into the field, surrounded the murderer, vaked to him, scratched the pants on his posterior into rags until he, too, collapsed because of the loss of blood and the strain on the heart.

And when I indignantly asked the by-standers how they could tolerate such a barbaric settling of differences, they said that they had not been enemies and that this was a shukk which was for developing health. And I referred in vain to my medical degree from Oxford University, claiming that a man with a broken skull was less healthy than a sound one, and only madmen cracked each other's head in cold blood; it was they who became enraged, fists rose, and I would certainly not have been able to avoid being lynched if I had not been quick to take to my heels.

I went to the other side and watched the events from there.

Now two more maniacs dashed in and the preceding scene recommenced. The instigator sometimes shouted the bruf to which an increased howl responded.

In one instance, however, the bruf- bruf came from the crowd without the instigator having cried out. Nor did they calm down afterwards, but commenced to bruf even more loudly, and abused the instigator because he had not seen the bruf. Others, on the other hand, were shouting, "No bruf!"

"Bruf!"

"No bruf!"

The situation began to get dangerously out of hand and I tried to cower suspecting that some trouble was brewing. But the Reader is wrong if he believes I succeeded in remaining in peace in this way, as one of them suddenly turned to me.

"Did you see the bruf?"

"No, I didn't," I hastened to excuse myself, but he, instead of calming down, set upon me all the more angrily.

"Didn't you? Do you deny it? Do you hear?" He turned to the others. "This base blue-eared did not see the bruf!"

"Pitch into him!" yelled ten voices at the same time and the blows already began to hail on me.

Fortunately, however, another ten interfered.

"No bruf, no bruf!" they shouted and fell upon the first group, each wildly thrashing the other.

Making use of the uproar, protecting my head with my arms, I hurried to disappear from the scene and at the price of a few bruises I succeeded. But now I did not stop until I reached home and I pledged myself never even to show my face at a shukk.

The next day Zemoeki dashed into my room out of breath. In his great zeal he stumbled over the threshold and almost came down on his nose. He was in a pitiable state, poor thing. His head was bandaged, his face stuck all over with plasters.

"Well," I thought, "this one will not go to a shukk for a long while either."

But Zemoeki, it seemed, did not care a fig for all this and poked at my chest.

"Did you see the bruf?"

"I did, I did!" I hastened to give him the pat answer lest the same should happen to me as the day before. But instead, of calming down he turned on me.

"Oh, you wretch! Was it a bruf for you? Don't you have eyes? Or perhaps you, too, side with that incorrigible, foolish green-yellow gang?"

Naturally, I had again made a blunder, so I hastened to explain that I had seen it, but I had seen only that it was not a bruf but some fools had cried out that it was. With this I just about managed to appease him.

Stepping to the tap he put a fresh compress on his head and in the meantime related that the rascal who had cracked his head had not got away with it either, as he had kicked him on the shin-bone so that he had immediately fallen off his feet and, his accomplices had had to carry him away by his legs and arms, they had even to run with him, while Zemoeki had managed to make off on his own two feet. And the cause of the great hurry was that the public peace guards were. already on the way, who then indiscriminately beat within an inch of their life any able-bodied people with an unbroken skull who still remained, or, as Zemoeki expressed it, "They restored law and order."

I listened to him shuddering and in my mind, thanked, my lucky stars for having got my blows prior to the restoration of law and order.

"But all this because of a bruf!" I exclaimed. "What do. you mean by 'all because of a bruf'?" he rapped out. "Well, if we don't take the bruf seriously, there is no point in the whole shukk!"

I would have liked to applaud wholeheartedly but I did not dare, which made Zemoeki still more annoyed.

"Well, tell me: is there a point or not?"

"There is not," I replied hesitatingly.

"There you are ! Then we might as well stop organizing shukks!"

Now I approved somewhat more boldly at which he added, "And we should destroy our whole human culture and go back to the jungle among the beasts!"

This, therefore, was how I learned the essence of the shukk. If someone strikes a fellow human being dead, he will be punished. But if he first utters the magic word shukk he will be excused!

With the Behins everything depends on the words.

And it was quite lucky that they did not punish those who did not want to have their heads broken on the score of the shukk!

feel free to download free "Kazohinia" by Sándor Szathmári EPUB, MOBI, PDF, TXT, Kindle

.Image.
_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

Post by _Choyo Chagas »