Winning: Food Stamp program costs hit 7 year low

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: Winning: Food Stamp program costs hit 7 year low

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Kevin Graham wrote:Since we're on the food subject, I make a mean broccoli casserole. I made it for family in Utah last year for Thanksgiving and they were talking about it all year long insisting I make it again.

You're supposed to post the recipe for us. It's a rule.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Maxine Waters wrote:I still think fewer people on food stamps is a win for everyone.

Except for people who don’t eat as a result.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Maxine Waters
_Emeritus

Post by _Maxine Waters »

Hunger can be a great motivator.
“There were mothers who took this [Rodney King LA riots] as an opportunity to take some milk, to take some bread, to take some shoes ... They are not crooks.”

This liberal would be about socializing … uh, umm. … Would be about, basically, taking over, and the government running all of your companies.
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

Maxine Waters wrote:

Hunger can be a great motivator.

A hypothetical question Ajax: would you be more likely to favor or oppose a program that removed children from their homes and into boarding schools where they all received similar educations and similar stipends for living, and let them rise or fall on their own merits based purely on its ability to form the basis for a meritocracy? Just curious how your thinking on who deserves to be hungry in order to motivate them actually works.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_Always Changing
_Emeritus

Post by _Always Changing »

How I do it:
Every week, I make a big batch of soup, or spaghetti, or whatever. I eat it for one meal, and freeze the rest in the little flat containers. Then I eat out of the little flat containers for the rest of my meals. I have a good variety squirelled away.
I use my breadmaker, and eat a sandwich for lunch. Not much money, and not much effort. It is not much more difficult to make a big batch of food than a little one.

Yes, you are right, Ajax, humiliate them into starvation, especially if they are disabled or retired and unable to work gainfully anyway.
Problems with auto-correct:
In Helaman 6:39, we see the Badmintons, so similar to Skousenite Mormons, taking over the government and abusing the rights of many.
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

Maxine Waters wrote:Hunger can be a great motivator.

If you want to volunteer to give that life a go, I won’t stop you.
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

honorentheos wrote:A hypothetical question Ajax: would you be more likely to favor or oppose a program that removed children from their homes and into boarding schools where they all received similar educations and similar stipends for living, and let them rise or fall on their own merits based purely on its ability to form the basis for a meritocracy? Just curious how your thinking on who deserves to be hungry in order to motivate them actually works.

Nicely done.
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

In 2012 an economist wrote

"Presidents, governors, and mayors can have an impact on job creation during their terms in office," he said. "Almost always, however, the impact is small in relation to the effects of events and trends over which elected officials have little control, especially in their first few years on the job. A recession that is underway or begins soon after a president or governor takes office is in no way the fault of the new officeholder. The flip side is that chief executives cannot claim much credit for a strong economic recovery that begins shortly before or after they take the oath of office. The conditions that made the recovery possible were already present when their term in office began. The executive’s policies may have speeded or slowed the recovery around the margins, but the conditions that caused the recovery to begin were already present before the oath of office was administered."
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter ... job-creat/

_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Kevin Graham wrote:Since we're on the food subject, I make a mean broccoli casserole. I made it for family in Utah last year for Thanksgiving and they were talking about it all year long insisting I make it again.

You're supposed to post the recipe for us. It's a rule.

20 oz of Broccoli floretts. (chopped or halves)
1 cup mayonnaise
1 can cream of mushroom
3 eggs beaten lightly
1 cup of chopped onions
1 cup of cooked sliced mushrooms
2 cups of grated sharp cheddar

Mix it up in a bowl with a big spoon, pour it into a casserole bowl and then sprinkle the crushed crackers on top. Bake for 45 min or until brown at 375.

Before

After

(didn't have crackers when I made this one)
_Always Changing
_Emeritus

Post by _Always Changing »

Kevin Graham wrote:20 oz of Broccoli floretts. (chopped or halves)
1 cup mayonnaise
1 can cream of mushroom
3 eggs beaten lightly
1 cup of chopped onions
1 cup of cooked sliced mushrooms
2 cups of grated sharp cheddar

Mix it up in a bowl with a big spoon, pour it into a casserole bowl and then sprinkle the crushed crackers on top. Bake for 45 min or until brown at 375.
In my recipe book. Thank you. Just realized-- this is a healthier version of funeral potatoes, isn't it?
Last edited by Guest on Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Problems with auto-correct:
In Helaman 6:39, we see the Badmintons, so similar to Skousenite Mormons, taking over the government and abusing the rights of many.