Dept of Veterans Affairs embraces medical pseudoscience

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: Dept of Veterans Affairs embraces medical pseudoscience

Post by _Jersey Girl »

A couple of examples here...Tai Chi, Yoga, and therapeutic massage. I should like to know just who has an objection to those. Animal therapy as well.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Jersey Girl wrote:A couple of examples here...Tai Chi, Yoga, and therapeutic massage. I should like to know just who has an objection to those. Animal therapy as well.

Did you read the article? It specifically distinguished exercise/mindfulness/meditative practices from the raw pseudoscience on the list. Integrative medicine (i.e. complimentary and alternative medicine, i.e. alternative medicine)'s entire public relations strategy relies on claiming that nonspecific benefits of uncontroversial things like exercise, diet, etc. is in their domain then attaching to that their pseudoscience.

You're asking "what's wrong with "theurapeutic massage" when the complaint obviously was over unsupported and theoretically implausible treatment modalities like Reiki healing, reflexology, acupuncture, etc. that rely on placebo effects. It's part of an ongoing takeover of legitimate medicine by new age woo that's been occurring in the US thanks to political benefactors since at least the early 90's. It's making our already inefficient health care system that much worse.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

EAllusion wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:A couple of examples here...Tai Chi, Yoga, and therapeutic massage. I should like to know just who has an objection to those. Animal therapy as well.

Did you read the article? It specifically distinguished exercise/mindfulness/meditative practices from the raw pseudoscience on the list. Integrative medicine (i.e. complimentary and alternative medicine, i.e. alternative medicine)'s entire public relations strategy relies on claiming that nonspecific benefits of uncontroversial things like exercise, diet, etc. is in their domain then attaching to that their pseudoscience.

You're asking "what's wrong with "theurapeutic massage" when the complaint obviously was over unsupported and theoretically implausible treatment modalities like Reiki healing, reflexology, acupuncture, etc. that rely on placebo effects. It's part of an ongoing takeover of legitimate medicine by new age woo that's been occurring in the US thanks to political benefactors since at least the early 90's. It's making our already inefficient health care system that much worse.

Thank you, EA. I'm trying to imagine credentialing and privileging reflexologists.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Maksutov wrote:Thank you, EA. I'm trying to imagine credentialing and privileging reflexologists.

I didn't ask you about reflexology.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

EAllusion wrote:

No, I didn't read the whole article. I'm a bit oxygen deprived at the moment.
Chinese Proverb
_Always Changing
_Emeritus

Post by _Always Changing »

Jersey Girl wrote:We have an active and ongoing "relationship" with the Virginia. What they're doing right now is cutting down on opioid RX's. My best guess is that we'll see CBD oil make the list before long.

I sure hope it does.
Exactly. If alternative medicine cuts down on opioid abuse/misuse, and deaths, I am all for it.
Problems with auto-correct:
In Helaman 6:39, we see the Badmintons, so similar to Skousenite Mormons, taking over the government and abusing the rights of many.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Always Changing wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:We have an active and ongoing "relationship" with the Virginia. What they're doing right now is cutting down on opioid RX's. My best guess is that we'll see CBD oil make the list before long.

I sure hope it does.
Exactly. If alternative medicine cuts down on opioid abuse/misuse, and deaths, I am all for it.

The VA is now trying alternatives for vets who deal with chronic pain. Surgeries, steroid injections and such as that will only get one so much relief until they cause additional health issues. They're cutting down on opioid use even for those who use those meds sparingly.
Chinese Proverb