Jerusalem: to be recognized as the capitol of Israel

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Re: Jerusalem: to be recognized as the capitol of Israel

Post by _Kevin Graham »

Someone who doesn't know Jerusalem is in the Middle East has no business putting an Embassy there.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

So is Trump the anti-Christ or what's going on or is it Pence?
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Jersey Girl wrote:So is Trump the anti-Christ or what's going on or is it Pence?

Sure. Why not? The M.E. is currently spasming with yet another "Day of Rage TM" and the fact of the matter is this thing the President is doing was unnecessary and meant to inflame tensions. How could it not?

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

American foreign policy on Isreal is disproportionately influenced, arguably dominated, by evangelicals who pursue hardcore zionism because they think it brings the world closer to an apocalypse they welcome. This never ceases to be sublimely disturbing.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Water Dog wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:Which historical examples lead you to conclude it would be a smart thing to do?

Depends on the context in which you mean. Six day war demonstrated that Israel cannot strategically maintain the green line borders without controlling other territory like Sinai and Golan. By simply looking at a map the reasons for this are quite obvious.

So how many Palestinians are there and how exactly do you drive them out. I mean, physically, how does Israel remove them from their homes? And where does it drive them to?
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Well, at least all participants in this thread do acknowledge that there actually is a group of people who may legitimately be described as 'Palestinians', i.e. people who have good reason for identifying Palestine as the place where their ancestors lived over many past centuries.

In the past, I have seen people online who argued fiercely that there were in reality no such people at all - that they were some kind of arbitrary creation of Israel's enemies, cobbled together from various groups who were in different ways affected by military disturbances in the Middle East over the last century, and who really belonged in an assortment of other places. I am glad to see signs that this may no longer be seen as a legitimate tactic in debate.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Chap wrote:Well, at least all participants in this thread do acknowledge that there actually is a group of people who may legitimately be described as 'Palestinians', i.e. people who have good reason for identifying Palestine as the place where their ancestors lived over many past centuries.

In the past, I have seen people online who argued fiercely that there were in reality no such people at all - that they were some kind of arbitrary creation of Israel's enemies, cobbled together from various groups who were in different ways affected by military disturbances in the Middle East over the last century, and who really belonged in an assortment of other places. I am glad to see signs that this may no longer be seen as a legitimate tactic in debate.

Frank Gaffney was/is famous for that kind of nonsense. It's still bandied about, legitimacy be damned. :razz: Most Trumpians have never heard of the Ottoman Empire, its collapse or the colonialish clusterf that ensued right up to the present day. And they aren't about to crack a book written by some liberal elitist godless lying teechur. History is born anew in the mouth of Fox News fantasists. In perfectly partisan soundbites. :wink:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I find it a bit odd Americans, or Southerners, or New Yorkers, or Atlantans might take exception to the idea that a group of people might form a regional or state or ethnic identity based in geography or culture or ideology.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

.Image.
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Chap wrote:Well, at least all participants in this thread do acknowledge that there actually is a group of people who may legitimately be described as 'Palestinians', i.e. people who have good reason for identifying Palestine as the place where their ancestors lived over many past centuries.

This idea that people "belong" anywhere is founded only by violence. For example, the so-called "native Americans" could argue that they belong in the Tennessee Valley, and perhaps during a time they did, but alas they lost that battle and to the victor belongs the spoils.
In other words, they now "belong" where we tell them they belong because we belong here now. Justice is might, plain and simple. This notion that "history" entitles a group of people to pitch a tent is more liberal propaganda and this sort of entitlement has never been, nor will ever be, manifest except by the sword.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent