Liangelo Ball detained in China on shoflifting charges

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Maxine Waters
_Emeritus

Re: Liangelo Ball detained in China on shoflifting charges

Post by _Maxine Waters »

I listened to to a sports commentator criticize Lavar Ball for being ungrateful to Trump over this. Then he says he thinks this kind of theft is a trivial matter. This is the erosion of US morality that I'm seeing. Why would any shopkeeper not send these kids away at the door knowing their attitude and the justice systems view on theft? I think $700 worth of theft iss a big deal.
“There were mothers who took this [Rodney King LA riots] as an opportunity to take some milk, to take some bread, to take some shoes ... They are not crooks.”

This liberal would be about socializing … uh, umm. … Would be about, basically, taking over, and the government running all of your companies.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Maxine Waters wrote:I listened to to a sports commentator criticize Lavar Ball for being ungrateful to Trump over this. Then he says he thinks this kind of theft is a trivial matter. This is the erosion of US morality that I'm seeing. Why would any shopkeeper not send these kids away at the door knowing their attitude and the justice systems view on theft? I think $700 worth of theft iss a big deal.

Big deal in the sense of restitution, 0-15 days in jail, 50-100 hours of community service sense, and 5 years of probation sense. Not big deal in deserving 5-10 years in prison sense.

It's not an "erosion of morality" to caution people against blowing something out of proportion because it involves two loud-mouth huckster celebrities.
_Maxine Waters
_Emeritus

Post by _Maxine Waters »

Big deal in the sense of restitution, 0-15 days in jail, 50-100 hours of community service sense, and 5 years of probation sense. Not big deal in deserving 5-10 years in prison sense.

I can agree with you on the 5-10 years prison time being too much and I've already stated this. But when you catch a thief, it's on average the 21st time he has stolen something from you. To get any kind of deterrence, the penalty for theft must be significant. I guess it almost seems that they live a higher law in China than we do in the US. In spite of having less than we do, Chinese people seem to be less prone to theft than people in the US. Which society has better people? I'm going to have to say China.

I had an Indian immigrant friend in Memphis who had his car stolen and chopped up for parts. He never got it back. The car was probably worth $6500. They actually caught the man who stole it. He got 30 days in jail. My friend got no restitution. Would this have happened in China? It wouldn't surprise me if this same guy is not strolling through a parking lot peeking in front windows to see if something worth breaking the car window is inside. When the police see this he'll accuse them of harassment and racial profiling. I doubt 30 days in jail changed his view on whether or not crime pays one bit.
“There were mothers who took this [Rodney King LA riots] as an opportunity to take some milk, to take some bread, to take some shoes ... They are not crooks.”

This liberal would be about socializing … uh, umm. … Would be about, basically, taking over, and the government running all of your companies.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Maxine Waters wrote:

I can agree with you on the 5-10 years prison time being too much and I've already stated this. But when you catch a thief, it's on average the 21st time he has stolen something from you. To get any kind of deterrence, the penalty for theft must be significant. I guess it almost seems that they live a higher law in China than we do in the US. In spite of having less than we do, Chinese people seem to be less prone to theft than people in the US. Which society has better people? I'm going to have to say China.

I had an Indian immigrant friend in Memphis who had his car stolen and chopped up for parts. He never got it back. The car was probably worth $6500. They actually caught the man who stole it. He got 30 days in jail. My friend got no restitution. Would this have happened in China?

The US has one of the harshest carceral states in the world in terms of sentence lengths and number of activities that are criminalized. We imprison more people per capita than any nation on the planet. That includes China. The US has a reputation around the Western world as having a barbaric criminal justice system.

Needless to say many of those nations the US far, far outstrips in terms of penalties don't seem to be worse off for it in terms of undesirable behavior.
_Maxine Waters
_Emeritus

Post by _Maxine Waters »

Like Lavar Ball said, "I come from LA where there are way worse things going on than ripping off $700 worth of sunglasses." I'm sure crime is so bad in LA that the police don't raise an eyebrow at theft such as this. It's expected.

So we'd agree that China has far longer prison sentences than the US for theft. Don't Chinese people generally have less money than people in the US? So how is it that China has fewer people in prison with more barbaric laws against theft?

_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

I was going to make a joke about Wisconsin dishing out a much deserved beating on UCLA earlier, but then they went on an epic run and took a decent lead. Wisconsin has since recovered for a modest lead. Standby on whether I can use this joke.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Maxine Waters wrote:Like Lavar Ball said, "I come from LA where there are way worse things going on than ripping off $700 worth of sunglasses." I'm sure crime is so bad in LA that the police don't raise an eyebrow at theft such as this. It's expected.

So we'd agree that China has far longer prison sentences than the US for theft. Don't Chinese people generally have less money than people in the US? So how is it that China has fewer people in prison with more barbaric laws against theft?

More than theft is criminalized? I missed the part where you established that China actually has a lower incidence of theft, which strikes me as a difficult thing to demonstrate, but surely you understand the incarceration rate has to do with more than the number of thefts in a society?

The idea that the police just ignore theft is just laughable. It's in the realm of self-parody. Petty theft probably isn't a major focus, like in many places, because its petty theft, but that doesn't mean it's anarchy. LA isn't isn't the California Love video.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

UCLA just stole some 3's to get within two. I'm nervous here.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Oh no. They might steal this game.

Wisconsin has had 2 close games against ranked teams go sour in the last 2 minutes recently. We're on alert for another one here.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Ugh. 5-10 year prison sentences for the whole team.