So how does Trump treat media children?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_NorthboundZax
_Emeritus

Re: So how does Trump treat media children?

Post by _NorthboundZax »

Maxine Waters wrote:Why would people who despise DJT so much bring their children to do a photo op with him?

Maybe they respect the office more than the person holding it does.
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

Maxine Waters wrote:Why would people who despise DJT so much bring their children to do a photo op with him?

Though he had none of his own Hitler kissed babies too.
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

Whataboutism to the max.

So let me buy your assumption that all of the children in the room had parents who despise Donald Trump. (Don't people who work for Breitbart or Fox have children?)

They are still children. They are human beings, they are not props for your political beefs. If the parents despise Donald Trump, what better way of showing you are not despicable than by being kind to their children? What better way to have a healing moment? Donald Trump does not want rapprochement. He elected to use the children as props in a passive-aggressive dig against the media. He is a small mean man.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_Maxine Waters
_Emeritus

Post by _Maxine Waters »

It seems we're only willing to put responsibility on Trump. Politics is an ugly business. Nice guys don't win elections. Look where it got Mitt Romney. He took the high road to often and it helped lead to his colossal failure. It takes a tabloid warrior like Trump or a sleazy Chicago style politician like Obama.

But this isn't about character. It's about a mortal policy disagreement and not just with DJT, but everyone who voted for him.
“There were mothers who took this [Rodney King LA riots] as an opportunity to take some milk, to take some bread, to take some shoes ... They are not crooks.”

This liberal would be about socializing … uh, umm. … Would be about, basically, taking over, and the government running all of your companies.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Mitt Romney accused Obama of being a terrorist sympathizer in response to the Benghazi attack. The idea that he was some high road campaigner is twisted. Everyone benefits when the comparison is Trump.

And, hilariously, Romney *lost* to someone famous for high road campaigning which puts a dent in the "high road campaigners never win" theory. But in Ajax's world Obama is pure sleaze while Romney was running some genteel campaign. When someone lives in that much of a bubble, what can you say?

Regarding Trump's behavior here, this is such a minor thing in comparison to the big deal issues going on with his admin that it's hard to care much. But his behavior is quite off. I disagree with Res in that I think narcissists can "turn it off" based on social context's requirements. They don't stop being narcissists, but they can pretend not to be. I think more likely Trump is a narcissist whose cognitive decline has robbed him of the ability to control his narcissistic instincts when the situation warrants it.
_honorentheos
_Emeritus

Post by _honorentheos »

That brings up an interesting question. Supposing Trump is pathologically narcissistic or sociopathic, I wonder what effect being the President might have in affecting the cues a sociopath might otherwise rely on to fake the proper responses? If everyone stands up and salutes you wherever you go, they play music when you arrive at social events that is now your song and your song only, and all the other trappings that come in the form of deference for the office could this result in a digression in such a person's otherwise developed responses that doesn't require cognitive decline as an explanation? Just asking, not anywhere near my area of expertise or training.
The world is always full of the sound of waves..but who knows the heart of the sea, a hundred feet down? Who knows it's depth?
~ Eiji Yoshikawa
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Do we actually know that the parents despised him beforehand instead of after they witnessed how Trump treated their children?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

Jersey Girl wrote:You guys are really fortunate that I chose self restraint, otherwise my post might have included the phrase vile sonofabitch and that wouldn't have been a pleasant read, right?

Jersey Girl, if I remember correctly, JB was a Trump supporter and voted for him. With that history, do the two of you discuss these sorts of Trump 'incidents' with each other?
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

canpakes wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:You guys are really fortunate that I chose self restraint, otherwise my post might have included the phrase vile sonofabitch and that wouldn't have been a pleasant read, right?

Jersey Girl, if I remember correctly, JB was a Trump supporter and voted for him. With that history, do the two of you discuss these sorts of Trump 'incidents' with each other?

:lol:

Nope. Our whole family has stopped talking politics over here.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb