Self Driving cars - are we ready?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Re: Self Driving cars - are we ready?

Post by _Lemmie »

EAllusion wrote:Even though you know in the abstract that many serious auto accidents happen to people where they could've done nothing to prevent it, it is hard to shake the illusion that if you are behind the wheel your responsible driving can drastically lower your odds of dying. It does lower your odds, but probably not enough to beat good AI coming down the pike.

I'd take riding with AI over my partner every day of the week. She has an inescapable need to drive 10 miles an hour faster than surrounding traffic no matter what. When coupled with her proclivity for distracted driving, it feels like I'm playing Russian roulette every time I get in on the passenger's side. Just a month ago I was treated to her passing 3 cars going 85 mph while she was putting on makeup and driving with her knees. For a brief moment I was convinced that was the moment I was going to die. AI replacing that can't come soon enough.

:lol: that takes me back. The first time my husband drove with me I overheard him tell his brother I drove "like a bat out of hell." Pre-EZ Pass, a truck driver once paid my GWBridge toll for me because, as he told the toll taker to tell me, he liked "how I put my lipstick on while driving."

After a while on the NY-NJ highways, though, you begin to realize what a stupid risk you are taking by driving too fast. I've really tried to impress on my newly driving sons the logical consequences of things like speeding, excessive lane-changing, etc. So far, they seem to take pride in being good drivers rather than being macho hot shot speed demons. knock on wood.

The CCC wrote:I told mine to drive like their lives depended on it, because it does.

Exactly.
_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Post by _Xenophon »

Jersey Girl wrote:Ever notice that there's always some uptight literacy patrol :biggrin: on the board who has to correct the story that you posted just so they can draw attention to the fact that you didn't research your story at 2 a.m.?

Pfffft! Use it for whatever it may be worth to you. It revived the thread. That's gotta be worth something. Get off my case Xeno.

:lol:

Don't worry, Jersey Girl, I didn't fault you on this one. :lol: It is bog standard at this point for many news outlets to report on self driving accidents and neglect to mention that the car was plowed into by a human driver. There is a reason the perception from many is that this tech is less safe than it actually is (it still has a ways to go but is advancing rapidly).
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Lemmie wrote:
After a while on the NY-NJ highways, though, you begin to realize what a stupid risk you are taking by driving too fast. I've really tried to impress on my newly driving sons the logical consequences of things like speeding, excessive lane-changing, etc. So far, they seem to take pride in being good drivers rather than being macho hot shot speed demons. knock on wood.

Lord knows there's enough of them up there! The closer you get to the city, the higher the speed and some kind of combat mentality takes over.

On the other hand, just go over the bridges on GSP south and you can feel the "rush" start to dissipate as you drive into a different world. I recently drove to Exit 0 where the GSP turns into 2 lanes each side. Compared to that and North? You wouldn't know you were even in the same state. Summer shore traffic a different bumper to bumper story altogether.

p.s. I despise the GWB!
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

EAllusion wrote:I'd take riding with AI over my partner every day of the week. She has an inescapable need to drive 10 miles an hour faster than surrounding traffic no matter what. When coupled with her proclivity for distracted driving, it feels like I'm playing Russian roulette every time I get in on the passenger's side. Just a month ago I was treated to her passing 3 cars going 85 mph while she was putting on makeup and driving with her knees. For a brief moment I was convinced that was the moment I was going to die. AI replacing that can't come soon enough.

Holy cats! :surprised:

I confess that I used to put on my makeup while driving in Jersey. No idea what I was thinking except that traffic and speed were both lighter back in the day.

Where I live now, I operate under the theory (supported by daily accident reports) that the other guy is out to kill me dead.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Post by _Brackite »

It is fine with me since I don't drive anymore. I am grateful that I get a ride to work.
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter