Weinstein asks for a second chance ... run ladies!

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Re: Weinstein asks for a second chance ... run ladies!

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

beastie wrote:
Oh, let's be more specific.

A) be not willing to come out publicly because it could ruin your life and career, knowing you'd be likely be portrayed in an unflattering light and be blackballed

B) be willing to come out publicly even though you know you'll be told that your were stupid and, basically, a whore

Seriously. Look at what happened to Monica Lewinsky, and it wasn't even her choice to come out. Who in their right mind would choose that?

Oh my god. You can't make this stuff up.

You're literally using Monica Lewinsky, a woman who gave a married President a blow job (among other things presumably) in the White House, as an example of being unjustly shamed for her behavior?

Monica Lewinsky???

I don't know if Monica Lewinsky was a slut, whatever that means these days, but she was a woman of low character who had, at the very least, oral sex with a married man.

Bill Clinton was rightly condemned for it. Monica Lewinsky was rightly condemned for it.

??

I'm getting the feeling you genuinely don't believe women ought to be responsible for their decisions and held accountable for them either. You're siding with starlets who thought quid pro quo was cool because *money/fame* and now you're trotting Monica Lewinsky out as a victim.

Monica Lewinsky.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Since no one is to be trusted we should all wear body cams at all times. :lol:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

Maksutov wrote:Since no one is to be trusted we should all wear body cams at all times. :lol:

Ranks up there with our 2 minutes of daily hate from Big Brother on our view screens. Of course now we have many hour of hate on Fox News. :rolleyes:
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Choose one:

A) Use your body to get a role because it's in your ultimate self-interest to make money and become famous knowingly aiding and abetting a predator to continue unchallenged. #notavictim

B) End the cycle of abuse because it's the right thing to do. #victim

It's not an either or. It's not right, for someone who has great influence on how your chosen career will go, to use that to get you to do things you don't want to do. It worse knowing if you say anything you may be blamed and shamed for going public like we see in this thread.

Funny how all these women suddenly come about the woodwork when HW can't offer any more work. HRM...

- Doc

If you knew anything about it, you would know it is really common for victims of sexual abuse to come out after someone else does.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

If I knew anything about it...

K.

Here's the next logical step in the War of the Sexes:

https://thisistheguywhorapedme.tumblr.com

Who needs to go to the police when you can just start splashing pictures of men on Tumblr and accuse them of rape? I mean, since all it takes now is just an accusation and a hashtag to destroy a person, why not? The accused is guilty and the accuser has no repurcussions.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Speaking from practical experience, if I were a business owner or a corporate type I'd never be in a room alone with a subordinate if it were avoidable. I don't know why it can't be a company's policy that within the office environment all parties should have another person present during meetings, or what have you, so everyone is protected from nonsense. Subordinates would also typically have their first line supervisor in the office too as an added measure of protection, as it were.

I'd also implement fraternization policies, and when we're doing any kind of company event alcohol wouldn't be a part of the equation and it'd be during office hours.

Weinstein was a predator. It was known. His practices were known. And he was protected not just by men, but by women too. Why? Because he could offer money, success, and fame. That's why. It's easy to blame the man who could make a dream come true, at the cost of one's personal safety or dignity. And he should be blamed. But, that's a problem that could've been solved years ago within the SAG, a phone call to the police, a public lawsuit, or the industry PNG'ing him. None of that happened and he was allowed to continue.

Why?

Money. Funny how morals go right the “F” out the window when money is involved. Weinstein wants to contribute to my campaign? Sure! Weinstein wants to offer me a role, but I have to meet him at a hotel and then in his room? *Phew* Ok!

To suggest the only person 100% responsible for keeping this predator enabled was the predator himself is wantingly ignorant and ridiculously irresponsible.

- Doc

No one replied to this, but me?

Well, why bother. We're all helpless to put personnel policies in place in an attempt to prevent sexual misconduct on the job. I say we just leave things status quo, keep HR in business, and let the good times roll.

:rolleyes:
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Themis wrote:
It's not an either or. It's not right, for someone who has great influence on how your chosen career will go, to use that to get you to do things you don't want to do.

No crap. What would you propose as a solution?
Chinese Proverb
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:I don't know if Monica Lewinsky was a slut, whatever that means these days, but she was a woman of low character who had, at the very least, oral sex with a married man.

Bill Clinton was rightly condemned for it. Monica Lewinsky was rightly condemned for it.

Low character for having sex with a married man? wtf? We humans (especially men) didn't evolve to be long-term monogamous, we are humans. Bill and Monica made a mistake, but we shouldn't condemn them for that. It is a mistake that most men make because it is our biology.

Don't call her a slut, see my previous comment

DoubtingThomas wrote:
I agree subgenius is always full horse crap, but reality is not so simple as feminists want us to believe... Most young women who want sex don't directly say "yes" for being worried of being labeled a "slut". When young women want sex they only give you hints, the guy has to figure out what she wants. Young women don't give you an enthusiastic yes when they want to have sex. When both the guy and the girl are heavily drinking together, the guy can misinterpret the girl's intention, psychologist talks about that in her presentation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SpVVsOUsLo
_DoubtingThomas
_Emeritus

Post by _DoubtingThomas »

beastie wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Beastie,

Choose one:

A) Use your body to get a role because it's in your ultimate self-interest to make money and become famous knowingly aiding and abetting a predator to continue unchallenged. #notavictim

B) End the cycle of abuse because it's the right thing to do. #victim

Funny how all these women suddenly come about the woodwork when HW can't offer any more work. HRM...

- Doc

Oh, let's be more specific.

A) be not willing to come out publicly because it could ruin your life and career, knowing you'd be likely be portrayed in an unflattering light and be blackballed

B) be willing to come out publicly even though you know you'll be told that your were stupid and, basically, a whore

Seriously. Look at what happened to Monica Lewinsky, and it wasn't even her choice to come out. Who in their right mind would choose that?

I don't understand, aren't they coming out publicly?
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

beastie wrote:
And yet and still the behavior of his victims have been analyzed and critiqued repeatedly on this thread. The victims were stupid. The victims were after money or career opportunities.

You bet it's been analyzed and critiqued. All crimes deserve analysis, beastie. That's how we go about the business of figuring out how and why a crime took place and (get this) develop measures in an attempt to prevent repeats.

We've analyzed every stinking cop video on this board. We've analyzed Charlotte and numerous other incidents. But we can't analyze sexual crimes because then, oh crap, we're victim blaming and shaming.

NO, we aren't. We're analyzing a crime.

It's not just a matter of Weinstein being "brutish", Christ, as if that explains the outcome in it's entirety when it purely doesn't.

Instead of focusing on "victim blaming and shaming" you oughtta be goddamn mad that these incidents took place and encourage women to take a proactive stance with regard to protecting their own personal safety.

No, we'll just wait until they become yet another statistic.

You're alone in a hotel room. There's a knock on the door. Do you open it without seeing who is on the other side?

Do you open the front door to your home when you're alone without seeing who is on the other side?

Do you lock your house at night and when you leave?

Do you lock your car when you're driving and leave it parked?

Do you frequent parking garages alone at night?

And finally, do you walk alone down a dark alley at night in Newark?

These are common sense personal safety measures, beastie. Women aren't helpless. Can we prevent every incident of sexual misconduct, abuse or assault? Of course not, but all of the above are common sense, beastie.

The comments that have been made here to the effect that we can't do anything about workplace sexual misconduct or Hey, that's how Hollywood does it, are total BS.

Is the best we can do only attending to the victims AFTER an incident has taken place?

How about try to prevent it?
Chinese Proverb