Trump and bribing Manhattan DA

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Trump and bribing Manhattan DA

Post by _moksha »

Ivanka Trump and Donald Trump Jr., found themselves in a precarious legal position. For two years, prosecutors in the Manhattan District Attorney’s office had been building a criminal case against them for misleading prospective buyers of units in the Trump SoHo,...

Kasowitz made an even larger donation to Vance’s campaign, and helped raise more from others — eventually, a total of more than $50,000. After being asked about these donations as part of the reporting for this article — more than four years after the fact — Vance said he now plans to give back Kasowitz’s second contribution, too.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ivanka-and-donald-trump-jr-were-close-to-being-charged-with-felony-fraud/ar-AAsSISy?

https://www.propublica.org/article/ivanka-donald-trump-jr-close-to-being-charged-felony-fraud

Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance, Jr., does not feel he did any anything wrong with receiving his largest campaign donation in exchange for unilaterally dropping the case against the advice of his prosecutors. The lead Trump attorney who made the bribe is now in charge of Trump's unpresidented defense into election collusion with Russia and its ongoing coverup.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Re: Trump and bribing Manhattan DA

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Why would receiving a donation from Kasowitz convince Vance to drop a lawsuit against the Trumps?

Kasowitz =/= Ivanka & Donald Jr.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Dr. Shades wrote:Why would receiving a donation from Kasowitz convince Vance to drop a lawsuit against the Trumps?

Marc Kasowitz serving as an attorney for Donald Trump was asked by Trump to step in to lead the legal team defending Ivanka and Donald Jr.

Kasowitz bypassed all the prosecutors working on the case and met directly with Vance to ask him to drop the matter. He gave the Vance campaign its largest donation. Vance against the advice of the prosecutors decided to drop the case. Quid Pro Quo.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

There are so many fine details in the story pointing to the brazen corruption of it all.

Reading this paragraph was something:

In one email, according to four people who have seen it, the Trumps discussed how to coordinate false information they had given to prospective buyers. In another, according to a person who read the emails, they worried that a reporter might be onto them. In yet another, Donald Jr. spoke reassuringly to a broker who was concerned about the false statements, saying that nobody would ever find out, because only people on the email chain or in the Trump Organization knew about the deception, according to a person who saw the email.

That's criminal syndicate level behavior.
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

Dr. Shades wrote:Why would receiving a donation from Kasowitz convince Vance to drop a lawsuit against the Trumps?

[Programmer NOTE: Dear Dr. Shades:

I assume you are trying to use pseudo code in this post. =/= is meaningless pseudo code.

If you want to use pseudo code, here is a brief list:

a == b a is equal to b
a < b a is less than b
a <= b a is less than or equal to b
a > b a is greater than b
a >= b a is greater than or equal to b
a != b a is not equal to b

Now go thou and sin no more.]
Last edited by Guest on Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

I've been wondering how much attention this story is going to get. Our problem is Trump scandal fatigue. There's just such a constant onslaught of scandals, many serious, that we can barely pay any given one the attention it deserves.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

RockSlider wrote:[Programmer NOTE: Dear Dr. Shades:

I assume you are trying to use pseudo code in this post. =/= is meaningless pseudo code.

Nope. I know nothing of computer programming. I typed what I did because I thought "≠" was too small.

But I'll take your message under advisement. Thanks.

beastie wrote: There's just such a constant onslaught of scandals, many serious, that we can barely pay any given one the attention it deserves.

How's this for a conspiracy theory: President Trump is personally ensuring that all these come out at once so that the most serious one gets lost in the shuffle and he therefore gets away with it.

If this turns out to be true, and someone exposes it, would the resulting scandal be called . . . "Gategate?"
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Dr. Shades wrote:
RockSlider wrote:[Programmer NOTE: Dear Dr. Shades:

Nope. I know nothing of computer programming. I typed what I did because I thought "≠" was too small.

But I'll take your message under advisement. Thanks.

beastie wrote: There's just such a constant onslaught of scandals, many serious, that we can barely pay any given one the attention it deserves.

How's this for a conspiracy theory: President Trump is personally ensuring that all these come out at once so that the most serious one gets lost in the shuffle and he therefore gets away with it.

If this turns out to be true, and someone exposes it, would the resulting scandal be called . . . "Gategate?"

That would make more sense if we hadn't a nearly daily drip of scandals since his election that on their own would be epic disasters in most administrations. It isn't coming out at once.

I follow the news very closely and have a very good memory and I can't keep track of every single example. At least every few days there are a few major scandals or additional information about ongoing problems to pick from to think about.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

beastie wrote:I've been wondering how much attention this story is going to get. Our problem is Trump scandal fatigue. There's just such a constant onslaught of scandals, many serious, that we can barely pay any given one the attention it deserves.

I think even the most basic details of most of these scandals barely register with most of the public. But the fact that Trump is scandal plagued and corrupt probably sinks in for the same reason it did with Clinton. The comparison between the two is insane, but I'm not sure if people think much more deeply beyond, "Gee, the media sure is talking a lot about X. X sounds bad."
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

Cy Vance, the DA who took money in this case also took a large contribution after declining to pursue sexual assault charges against Weinstein. So he's having a bad news week. He's up for election in a month. That's a person who should lose hard.