In Defense of Elitism

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Re: In Defense of Elitism

Post by _Gunnar »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:"My ignorance is equivalent to your education and science." This seems much more prevalent within the last 15 or so years or so, with a lot of anti-intellectualism going on (especially in politics). I think we need to teach or develop abstract thinking in our children and throughout their academic careers if we hope to ever have a thinking electorate.

Anyway, we have pretty abysmal schooling right now, and our culture is much more fascinated with celebrity culture rather than any sort of science or higher learning. Watch a 'documentary' on the History Channel or something, and take serious notes. That crap might seem absurd and absolutely ridiculous, from the horror movie style music thrown in, and loose grip on facts, but it's very prevalent since Nova style documentaries are so boring to people.

People as a whole in our country have very loose understandings of how their own country works regarding governance, let alone any sort of knowledge regarding the rest of the world. We value entertainment above information, and our media is blanketed with eye catching BS or feel good stories.

It's not looking good. Take a look at Zerinus who adamantly rejects science and finds that behavior itself virtuous.

- Doc

The only point on which I disagree with you here is that Nova style documentaries are boring. I find them very interesting and informative. If it is true that most people find them boring, that is a very sad commentary on the state of science and math education in this country and/or the general intelligence of the American public.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

The premise is flawed. There are, in fact several bad actors that have starred in big budget films. Hollywood doesn't always require that acting skill sell tickets. Arguably the NFL does nothing other than recruit amateurs - no one is a professional football player prior to their rookie year. And the NFL does not recruit simply based on the the player's college pedigree.
So, the author's article is yet another manifestation of elitism. It effectively gives examples that contradict it's premise. Academic traing of or endorsement for one's intellect does not make it superior to another's, just as the same is true in the NFL or hollywood.
Apart from the fallacy of using commercial endeavors as a comparison the author misses the target because in all cases the success of each is based upon their performance not upon whatever lambskin is framed on the wall behind them.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Gunnar wrote:The only point on which I disagree with you here is that Nova style documentaries are boring. I find them very interesting and informative. If it is true that most people find them boring, that is a very sad commentary on the state of science and math education in this country and/or the general intelligence of the American public.

I find Nova documentaries relatively interesting, but I'll just be honest, I never really sit and watch one all the way through and I couldn't tell you the topic of the last one I attempted to watch. I recall it being about space or a black hole or gravity or a planet or something.

But I can tell you who played on NBC's Sunday Night Football. I can tell you who's playing on Monday Night Football tonight. I can tell you who the starting QB's are on virtually every team. I can tell you I've watched every_single_episode of Rick and Morty this season.

And I think that's where we're at. I'm just an average guy. I can guarantee you 80% of the population, probably more like 90%, is in the same boat as I am. We're busy living, working, and finding a bit of escapism from the drudgery of our lives.

We need elitists. We need people who understand how things work, from government to corporations. We need experts and people who are willing to say, "Yes. I know more about this than you do because I've spent a lifetime dedicated to this craft."

This is why our government is what it is. People are busy or distracted and it doesn't mean they're inherently awful. It just means they assume other people know what they're talking about until it what is being talked about clashes with their values. And that's a problem that absolutely needs to be addressed within our educational system. It starts in the home and it should start when a child is 4 or 5-years-old.

But, it just isn't going to happen. And we need to realize that and figure out a way to talk to the Average Majority. Being elitist is fine, but communicating in an elitist manner is a surefire way of pissing people off and they'll vote for the people who don't insult them, who they fundamentally are, and their intelligence.

That's why Trump won. He may have lied through his teeth, but he told his base that they're ok and that he'll help them be great again. Greatness. Not blame. Preach greatness, and vision, and potential... And you'll win the day with our electorate.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.