All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Let's talk Football
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:52 am 
God

How about them Sooners

Post subject: Re: Let's talk Football
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:09 am 
God

On the one hand, I hate Ohio State and can't help but take pleasure in any loss they have. On the other, because I'm a Badgers fan I have a rooting interest in all Big 10 teams winning every non-conference game. That keeps the team rankings as high as possible so when they start playing each other, there's better reputation to pass around in wins and losses.

So, it's technically bad that they lost, but I'm still smiling ear to ear.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:34 am 
God

As an Alabama guy myself, I took pleasure in last night's loss as well. Though I have nothing against the OSU program itself, I absolutely despise Meyer. I'm waiting to find out how Colin Cowherd and Skip Bayless respond to this loss. They've been declaring Urban Meyer the best coach in football for quite some time now.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:42 pm 
God

I can't get into college ball; I didn't attend college in the US, so I don't have an affiliation.

"Good thing your safe space isn't being violated with the horrors of self-awareness." - Dmetri Cromwell (some guy on Facebook)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:16 pm 
Apostle

Why did FL let Will Grier get away to WV? I don't follow football but I wonder if Mclewain didn't make a bad decision. It doesn't look like the Gators offense could manage much against Michigan under Feleipe Franks.

Part of my complaint in football is that a lot of whether you play or not is a coach's decision. In sports like golf, tennis, boxing, track, none of that really matters. If you can win, no matter your style of play, past record, you get to keep playing. But in that respect, football is a true team game and comes with the problems of team games. Perhaps that's why I'm somewhat antisocial now. To much BS to put up with when you're on a team.

In a way I feel Kaepernick, not because I agree with him politicizing the NFL, but because I think he'd be good enough to be a pro quarterback if quarterbacking were an individual sport and he could choose the system in which he plays.

It makes me wonder why Tim Tebow couldn't be taught to be a more accurate passer. If that's all you do, how do you play college football for 4 years and win the Heisman trophy and still not be able to hit your targets?

This liberal would be about socializing … uh, umm. … Would be about, basically, taking over, and the government running all of your companies.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:44 pm 
Founder & Visionary

EAllusion wrote:
On the one hand, I hate Ohio State and can't help but take pleasure in any loss they have.

What's the difference between Ohio State and any other college?

--Doctor CamNC4Me, 03-14-2017

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:52 pm 
God

Kevin Graham wrote:
As an Alabama guy myself

Roll Tide?

Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight ~ Arsu Shaikh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:55 pm 
Founder & Visionary

Jersey Girl wrote:
Kevin Graham wrote:
As an Alabama guy myself

Roll Tide?

No, Alabama.

--Doctor CamNC4Me, 03-14-2017

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:00 am 
God

Dr. Shades wrote:
EAllusion wrote:
On the one hand, I hate Ohio State and can't help but take pleasure in any loss they have.

agreed, they are just as annoying as Alabama, and worse - Alabama fans.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:23 am 
God

Will Grier transferred from Florida after he was suspended 1 year for testing positive for performance enhancing drugs.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:24 am 
God

Some Schmo wrote:
I can't get into college ball; I didn't attend college in the US, so I don't have an affiliation.

Most college football fans didn't attend college. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:24 am 
God

Dr. Shades wrote:
EAllusion wrote:

They're probably not overrated like OSU, every damn year.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:31 am 
Apostle

Kevin Graham wrote:
Will Grier transferred from Florida after he was suspended 1 year for testing positive for performance enhancing drugs.

I think there was more to it than that. FL doesn't seem to be able to choose quarterbacks very well since Spurrier left.

This liberal would be about socializing … uh, umm. … Would be about, basically, taking over, and the government running all of your companies.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:04 am 
God

You asked why Jim McElwain let him "get away." He got suspended by the NCAA and decided to transfer.

Quote:
Grier met with McElwain two weeks ago and expressed no intentions of wanting to leave the program. But this past Friday, following his final exams, Grier came back to McElwain with a change of heart.

“He came in and asked for a release,” McElwain said, confirming that it was Grier’s decision. “We obviously thought he was coming back, that’s what we had a couple weeks ago. But in this case, that’s a choice.

“The one thing I’ll never do is make someone do something they don’t want to do. In life, sometimes change of scenery is good. In this case, he’s going to go have a successful career and go on to play in the NFL. We’ll help him in every way we can.”

When asked about Grier having any transfer restrictions, McElwain said, “I’m not real fired up about seeing him in the SEC, but we signed (off on) a bunch … every school that he brought up. We’re here to support him.

“I just, we anticipated him being here. Obviously the choice was made to go somewhere else.”

Transfers happen all the time and they're allowed usually so long as the player wants to transfer to another conference.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:57 am 
Apostle

I read an article that said Mclewain left Grier waiting for a meeting between them for 2 hours while he was out recruiting Feleipe Franks. Mclewain said Grier was looking for his quarterback spot to be reserved.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/flori ... e-florida/

So he took some protein supplement that was banned by mistake. Other guys have raped women and come back and played with the full support of the coach and team. The gators blew it on this one.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:07 pm 
God

Lesseeeee... My Way Too Early CFP prediction +2:

Alabama v. Penn State

Clemson v. Oklahoma

+2 party crashers 'cause why not?

USC if they run the table and it seems like the media likes to throw the PAC-12 a bone once in a while

Wisconsin. I dunno. They look good and are flying a bit under the radar with Michigan, PSU, and OSU getting most of the BIG's media attention.

I like Michigan, but I don't think they go undefeated which will cost them a shot at the playoffs.

Pretty much the PAC-12 is too small to hang.

The SEC just isn't looking that great right now. 'Bama dominates. I dunno. I can't figure out who their annual surprise-loss will be this year.

You know what? I have no idea.

- Doc

In the anointed we find a whole class of supposedly ‘thinking people’ who do remarkably little thinking about substance and a great deal of verbal expression. - Dr. Thomas Sowell, Harvard, Columbia, University of Chicago

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:17 pm 
God

Kevin Graham wrote:
Some Schmo wrote:

Most college football fans didn't attend college. :lol:

Heh... after I wrote that, it occurred to me that I became a 49er fan prior to moving to the US, and that never having been to San Francisco didn't stop me.

I guess my philosophy boils down to, if I'm going to spend time watching other people play a game, I want to watch the very best people the game has to offer. I know many people think college ball is more exciting, but I've never been able to determine why. I suppose I've always suspected it was because their Alma Mater was playing.

And from a practical standpoint, if I'm watching football on Sunday, I don't want to blow my whole weekend by spending time on Saturday doing it too.

"Good thing your safe space isn't being violated with the horrors of self-awareness." - Dmetri Cromwell (some guy on Facebook)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:27 pm 
God

Although BYU lost to LSU and Utah on the scoreboard, BYU still walked away with moral victories for these games to add to an unbroken string of moral victories ever since their first game against Provo High School.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:07 pm 
God

Maxine Waters wrote:
I read an article that said Mclewain left Grier waiting for a meeting between them for 2 hours while he was out recruiting Feleipe Franks. Mclewain said Grier was looking for his quarterback spot to be reserved.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/flori ... e-florida/

So he took some protein supplement that was banned by mistake. Other guys have raped women and come back and played with the full support of the coach and team. The gators blew it on this one.

You're not listening. It wasn't McElwain that suspended him it was the NCAA.

Barry Bonds said something similar when he tested positive for steroids and said his trainer told him it was flaxseed oil. Grier gained an insane 43 lbs while taking his so-called "milkshake," which is virtually impossible without there being some form of steroid involved.

But feel free to provide examples of players who were convicted of rape and then had "the full support of the coach and team." Because all I see are players getting suspended for even being accused of domestic violence. You're applying your Alex Jones/Brietbart mentality to sports now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:03 pm 
Apostle

Quote:
You're not listening. It wasn't McElwain that suspended him it was the NCAA.

So how is he playing at WVU now?

Quote:
ecause all I see are players getting suspended for even being accused of domestic violence.

I kind of agree with you on this.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:25 pm 
God

'Sup Mormons.