It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Harvey Weinstein - Bill Clinton: LA Times, interchangeable?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:55 am 
Holy Ghost

Here is a story from, of all places? The LATIMES:

http://beta.latimes.com/business/hollyw ... story.html

While reading it I couldn't help notice that one could easily interchange the name of Bill Clinton with Harvey Weinstein.

The left, their President of choice, and their main marketing arm of Hollywood studios, have long demonstrated their hypocrisy towards women and and the morals they do shout out at the top of their bought lungs.

Let's righteously praise women, fund their organizations and stand out in front of tv cameras to accept the awards specifically created for the very cover up of rape, misogyny and abuse of women they intentionally practice on a daily basis. Or let's be invited to the White House by First Ladies to commit the same hypocrisy w the blessing of the very same complicit presidents taking their money and platforms.

One can only wonder why this is not the national headline in every MSM outlet it would be if it had been revealed that George W had cornered women to masturbate in front of them, or even worse - IN THE WHITE HOUSE!

Post subject: Re: Harvey Weinstein - Bill Clinton: LA Times, interchangeab
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:02 am 
God

Most people before last week had no earthly idea who Harvey Weinstein was. But the Right Wing idiots are so desperate for moral equivalence, calling hypocrisy on the "Left" because they hold Republican Presidents to a higher standard than some Jewish movie producer.

But it takes some truly contorted logic to get "hypocrisy" from any of this. Anyone with a conscience and a brain should have been disgusted with Trump, Right or Left. And they should have condemned a Presidential candidate who unwittingly admitted to being a sexual predator. The fact that a year has passed and Trump's immoral supporters are still trying to justify him by somehow attacking people "on the left" is telling. Deplorables indeed.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:05 am 
God

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/ ... pussy.html

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:13 am 
God

Bach is trolling, but it is amazing how hard this narrative is being pushed in conservative media given that the current president of the United States has confessed to serial sexual assault on tape and has over a dozen female accusers describing him doing the very thing he confessed to doing. He continues to enjoy wide support among conservatives/Republicans in every way it is possible to support him. This includes the very media outlets trying to push this narrative. Unlike Ailes, Weinstein, Cosby, O'Reilly, etc. there isn't any sign of Trump going down for this. The media covered it intensely for about a week and a half and just moved on.

It's so brazen that right-wing media have to have total confidence in their ability to manipulate their audience at this point.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:29 am 
God

Kevin Graham wrote:
Most people before last week had no earthly idea who Harvey Weinstein was.

You sure about that? He literally got more acknowledgement during the Oscars, and I'm not kidding about this, than Jesus Christ. Multiple Academy awards and smash hits that have launched a thousand stars and you're saying he was relatively unknown? I don't really follow Hollywood at all and even I knew who he was. How can you not?

- Doc

I have Mental Gymnast on ignore until he makes amends with Grindael, and both Grindael and IHAQ start posting again. I will not allow a troll to drive off two great board members without taking a stand. eta: He's permablocked for his pro-pedophilia comments.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:47 am 
God

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Kevin Graham wrote:

You sure about that? He literally got more acknowledgement during the Oscars, and I'm not kidding about this, than Jesus Christ. Multiple Academy awards and smash hits that have launched a thousand stars and you're saying he was relatively unknown? I don't really follow Hollywood at all and even I knew who he was. How can you not?

- Doc

Name recognition for just about virtually everyone in the US is extremely poor. So what Kevin said is probably true, but only in the sense that most Americans don't know much about anyone but a few major celebrities and the President. No way, for example, could the majority of Americans pick VP Pence out of a line-up. I'd bet around 40% don't even know who he is.

But as far as people who aren't a step away from being comatose, yeah, Weinstein is pretty famous.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:50 am 
God

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Kevin Graham wrote:

- Doc

I don't watch the Oscars or any of the awards shows, but I'm sure there are a number of folks who have won multiple awards for things like Sound effects, costume design (etc) that most people still wouldn't recognize if mentioned in a crowd. I'm pretty good at Hollywood trivia but had no idea who this guy was. Tarantino, Scorsese and Michael Mann etc I'd know.

In any event, the point still stands. Bachs argument is dumb and he's desperately trying to create some kind of moral equivalence where none exists.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:41 pm 
God

Wait. Hol' up.

Are you implying by impugning Mr. Weinstein that Jennifer Lawrence or Ms. Paltrow had sexuals with him in order to advance their careers? Like, if there are women that he cast or helped get a part, and who aren't complaining, are you suggesting they sexy time'd with him?

eta: Meryl Streep is a huge fan of his, btw. She worked closely with him over the years. Was she, you know, compromised?

- Doc

I have Mental Gymnast on ignore until he makes amends with Grindael, and both Grindael and IHAQ start posting again. I will not allow a troll to drive off two great board members without taking a stand. eta: He's permablocked for his pro-pedophilia comments.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:09 pm 
God

I just got off the phone with a guy who baptized me. I'd say he's a fairly educated guy, he's been a anesthesiologist for the past 20 years. I asked him if he knew who Harvey Weinstein was and he said he had no idea.

I'm friends on Facebook with probably a dozen or so academics and they've indicated pretty much the same thing based on their responses to right wing memes on the subject.

Few people know who this guy is and no it's not just the ____ who don't know anybody except the president like EAllusion said. I had no idea who this guy was and I don't think it should be embarrassing to say that. So what if I don't keep up with all the intricacies of Hollywood big money players? What kind of f****** weirdo does that anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:51 pm 
God

Weinstein is the most famous producer around who isn't famous for something else first. His name comes up a lot if you pay attention to filmmaking at all. It's hard not to have heard of him from just general cultural awareness, but it's not the end of the world if you don't recall who he is.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:53 am 
God

Quote:
Weinstein is the most famous producer around who isn't famous for something else first.

I doubt that. Right now Weinstein is the most famous producer for "something else" other than producing. Ever heard of this guy named Spielberg? Lucas? Some probably think they're the two most famous producers. I recognized 10 of the top 12 names in this list, but Weinstein wasn't even mentioned:

TOP 12 BEST FILM PRODUCERS/DIRECTORS

He doesn't show up on this list of top 30 either...

The 30 Most Powerful Film Producers in Hollywood

Here is a list of the wealthiest producers in Hollywood. Weinstein ranks 9th with a net worth of $200 million. That's well behind Spielberg's $3.5 billion. Cameron and Bruckheimer are both over $700 million. I recognized 7 of the 15 names on that list.

Look, I'm not saying he's not wealthy or famous. I'm saying most people have no idea who he is nor do they care. Bitching about a movie producer sexually harassing women as a Democrat and equating that to a Republican President is just dumb on so many levels. The whole point of hypocrisy rests on the assumption that everyone accused of hypocrisy were aware of his harassment of women and simply tolerated them because he was Democrat. I'm saying many on the Left don't even know who the hell he is to begin with.

And the way you phrased your post seemed to equate the most ignorant people of America with the people who don't recognize Weinstein's name. I'm just saying that's not true by a long shot.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:09 am 
God

Well. At least he didn't video himself snorting cocaine before a staff meeting and telling his side chick he'd rather be licking it off her hoo ha.

- Doc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:14 am 
God

Lucas and Spielberg are famous for being directors. That's why I added the qualifier I did. Maybe Jerry Bruckheimer has a case.

Weinstein is quite famous if you know anything about movies and you stand a good chance of having come across his name if you have any contact with pop culture. He is not obscure.

P.S. Your list is 1) Director / Producer combos when Weinstein isn't a director. 2) Written by some random imdb poster. 3) Kinda sucks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:39 am 
God

It is truly amusing to see the liberals on this board distance themselves from their righteous indignation now that one of their own chieftains is "grabbing the p***y"

:)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:38 am 
God

subgenius wrote:
It is truly amusing to see the liberals on this board distance themselves from their righteous indignation now that one of their own chieftains is "grabbing the p***y"

:)

Name a single liberal who isn't currently being paid by Weinstein to defend him who has defended Weinstein. One will do to start. This does contrast significantly with virtually every conservative's willingness to go to bat for Trump.

Weinstein is a donor, not a "chieftain." A more direct comparison would be one of the B-team Fox news sexual harrassers.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:41 pm 
God

EAllusion wrote:
Name a single liberal who isn't currently being paid by Weinstein to defend him who has defended Weinstein.

It is countless, this guy has enjoyed the defense of their silence for decades. Only now do they feign shock and surprise because their public relations consultants insist upon it.

EAllusion wrote:
One will do to start. This does contrast significantly with virtually every conservative's willingness to go to bat for Trump.

see previous

EAllusion wrote:
Weinstein is a donor, not a "chieftain."

the you are a fool. But please, keep d i s t a n c i n g

EAllusion wrote:
A more direct comparison would be one of the B-team Fox news sexual harrassers.

and fool assertion thus confirmed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:54 pm 
Holy Ghost

Kevin Graham wrote:
I just got off the phone with a guy who baptized me.

STOP, HOLD THE PRESSES!!!!!

We have now been enlightened and educated on the new Kevin Graham standard for unimpeachable sources! Someone from the Mormon Church who has credentials to baptise a person w a pulse in water and, anyone else, lacking a pulse for the past 2,100 decades or so, on paper.

I just never thought any source could ever rise above HuffPo or Media Matters. Desperate times for Kevin Graham!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:13 pm 
God

I don't know much about movies, and I'm not even exactly sure what a producer actually does. I think it has something to do with financing the production of a movie. I have the impression that if a movie were a business, the director is the CEO while the producer is the Board of Directors. But I don't know the details.

According to IMDb, Weinstein has been credited 331 times. Some of his movies are apparently good artsy movies. A few are bad. Most of them I don't recall ever hearing about. Apparently he is best known for producing Gangs of New York (2002), Pulp Fiction (1994) and Shakespeare in Love (1998).

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005544/

Having said all that, I don't recall ever hearing his name, although I'm sure I've seen it in film credits.

"Don't they know that the soul is made of harmonies and that harmonies are not created but by the concurrency or by the properties of the objects that are seen and heard?"
- Leonardo da Vinci

All religion is obviously silly, like all sports.
-Symmachus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:20 pm 
God

Miramax is the quintessential mini-major film studio that played a large role in the indie/film festival to option pipeline. It's easy to forget how revolutionary the Sex, Lies, and Videotape / Pulp Fiction moment was, but it was.

The Weinstein's also produced Project Runway. That created a reality gameshow template copied by roughly a billion other TV shows.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:31 pm 
God

One of Project Runway's endless list of copycats is Top Chef. I think that show likely had a significant impact on American food culture.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:55 pm 
God

Judy Dench was made by Harvey Weinstein. Just thought the fine folks here ought to know it was all about the kitty grabbing.

- Doc