Living with the consequences of global warming

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Re: Living with the consequences of global warming

Post by _The CCC »

Dr. Keyhoe is a Evangelical Christian. She talks to church groups about global warming. I'm pretty sure she prays about it too.

Thought you might like this.
SEE https://www.democraticunderground.com/1017455309
Last edited by Guest on Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

The CCC wrote:Here is what I mean by reasonable.
SEE http://crooksandliars.com/2017/09/what- ... about-risk

I of course can't build levies, dams, catch basins, and the like. But I can reduce my personal carbon footprint.

Good for you, now get off my lawn.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

I'm not on your damn lawn.
SEE https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xeriscaping
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

The CCC wrote:Dr. Keyhoe is a Evangelical Christian. She talks to church groups about global warming. I'm pretty sure she prays about it too.

Thought you might like this.
SEE https://www.democraticunderground.com/1017455309

Excellent! It describes Trump and his deplorable cohorts to a T!

As for subenius, nothing underscores his willful scientific ignorance, irrationality and his trollishness more than his stupid denial of the realities of human caused climate change. It is very nearly as stupid as claiming it is night time while staring directly at the sun at high noon on a cloudless summer day, and at least as stupid as believing in a geocentric universe or the flat earth theory.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Chap wrote:But - why doesn't she mention a National Day of Prayer???

The CCC wrote:Dr. Keyhoe is a Evangelical Christian. She talks to church groups about global warming. I'm pretty sure she prays about it too.

Yes, I've been a Christian too myself, so I know about prayer. No doubt she prays about pretty much everything she finds important.

The point is, however, that the actual measures she proposes are all practical and science-based. Prayer is never, ever a substitute for practical action if practical action to solve a problem is an option within a person's power. The only thing that will feed a starving person is food. The only thing that will do Houston flood victims any good is to meet their urgent need for food, clothing and shelter, and help them rebuild some kind of life - while in the long term looking hard and objectively at how this disaster happened to them.

The idea that the US ought to spend its time organising a national day of religious ritual when confronted with this stupendous task is laughable. But that's religion for you ...
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

I'm a firm believer in the power of prayer especially when attached to hands that get in and do the work.
Faith without works is dead. :smile:
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

The CCC wrote:I'm a firm believer in the power of prayer especially when attached to hands that get in and do the work.
Faith without works is dead. :smile:

In other words you are of the "pray as if everything depended on God, but work as if everything depended on you" school. Am I right? :wink:
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

Absolutely. :smile:
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Post by _Brackite »

Australia's warmest winter 'driven by climate change'

Data released this month showed average maximum temperatures in the winter months of June to August were nearly 2C above average.

Climate change made the "exceptionally warm and dry" winter 60 times more likely, the Climate Council said in a report.

The group has linked the record hot winter to "worsening climate change".

The Climate Council is an independent, non-profit organisation that was set up in 2013 to continue the work of its government-funded predecessor, which was abolished by the Tony Abbott government.

According to its report released on Tuesday - Hot and Dry: Australia's Weird Winter - winter warm spells are lasting longer, occurring more frequently and becoming more intense.

More than 260 heat and low rainfall records around Australia were broken this winter, the report said.

It said climate change and the burning of fossil fuels had driven Australia's average winter temperature up by about 1C since 1910. That figure was reported by the CSIRO, the nation's scientific research body, last year.
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter