It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trump's Fatal Flaw
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:02 am 
God

I'm actually getting ready to go out of town, so may not be able to keep up with this thread for the rest of the day, but wanted to post this thought before I forget:

What may be Trump's Fatal Flaw isn't that he's a liar, isn't that he's willing to deal with dirty people, isn't that his word means nothing, isn't that he's willing to stiff people of lower and moderate incomes:

his fatal flaw is that he thinks he's gotten away with all these things in the past because he's smarter than everyone else.

The real reason he's gotten away with it all is because he's rich. He's is absolutely not smarter than everyone else, by a very long shot.

And being rich is not going to save him as president.

So, in the end, what may screw him is the fact that he's a dishonest incompetent, and completely ignorant of his own incompetence (as studies have shown many incompetent people are).

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com

Post subject: Re: Trump's Fatal Flaw
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:53 am 
God

Ok.

Hopefully the investigation goes somewhere. Or. You know. We'll just have to vote in 2020 for someone else and eat this crap sandwich until then.

Personally, I think the Republicans won't do anything unless the upcoming Congressional and Senatorial elections show a shift in the electorate's attitude toward them. And I'm not talking about a bunch of punks picking fights and destroying property. I'm not talking about a bunch of back patting self-loathing racists on discussion boards. I'm talking about the people who voted for him and the people who abstained. We need to talk to them and get them on board with voting. 2018 could quite possibly be some of the most important elections in the history of our country.

- Doc

eta: I think this is Trump's and the GOP's biggest hurdle summed up nicely by Richard Trumka, President of the AFL-CIO:

Quote:
You had two factions in the White House. You had one faction that actually had some of the policies we would have supported on trade, on infrastructure — but they turned out to be racist. And on the other hand, you had people that weren't racist, but they were Wall Streeters. And the Wall Streeters began to dominate the administration and have moved his agenda back to everything he fought against in the election.

I believe if Democrats can seize upon the jobs and infrastructure issue* they can win big.

* They should advocate building a nation-wide flood water supply and redistribution network that would employ people, save on rebuilding, and get water to drought areas. It's a huge opportunity right now. Stuff like that would be so easy to sell and get Americans to work. Total no-brainer.

In the anointed we find a whole class of supposedly ‘thinking people’ who do remarkably little thinking about substance and a great deal of verbal expression. - Dr. Thomas Sowell, Harvard, Columbia, University of Chicago

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:22 pm 
God

Most analysis I have read points to Republican gerrymandering advantage being large enough to retain the House majority even if they suffer a legitimate landslide defeat on the order of 8ish%. State legislatures are even dicier in a lot of spots. The Senate map is super favorable to them. I'm not sure governorships alone have that much juice for them, though they probably should.

This leaves them relatively immune to political consequences in 2018. And that's without looking at voter suppression. You can't fully understand their behavior without understanding this.

Regarding Trump, I think he's a dumb BS artist who likely is a dunning-Kruger case. It's hard to understate how obvious he is. He probably interprets getting away with it to being clever when he should be looking at being an incidental beneficiary of structural advantages and plain old luck. It might not last forever.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:19 pm 
God

At this point, it seems our only real shot at early removal from office is his dementia advancing to the next level.

Then again, who would notice?

"Good thing your safe space isn't being violated with the horrors of self-awareness." - Dmetri Cromwell (some guy on Facebook)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:08 pm 
Hermit

The closest I get to following the news is scanning this forum; thanks guys for staking out the basic positions for me. So this isn't based on much, but to me his fatal flaw is that as a business man, he knows what he wants, money. As a politician, I don't think it's clear, but what is clear is he responds very well to praise. If someone likes him, then he likes that person; they've got each other's backs. So while he's not himself racist, if racists promote him then he feels bound to like them back. This is an especially dangerous characteristic when dealing with say, Putin, who certainly doesn't suffer from this flaw. I have to wonder if he's open to reverse psychology from savvy liberals.

(I think Beastie may be talking about a different kind of flaw -- flaw to personal undoing.)

In other news, I'd never looked up what "alt right" means and just gleaned from context and so yesterday I got curious. I actually tried to go to Stormfront, and learned it was shut down this month. Did you guys know that? Figured that would be big news.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:10 pm 
God

You guys say "he's getting away with something" as if 1. He is a completely unique political activity in American history, and 2, as if he is not supported by a significant number of Americans. So, yes while you build a Democratic party platform around this incessant and tiresome charge of "you guys are stupid", Republicans are busy winning elections. What will it take for you to understand how absurd your own political responses are? Almost every day has Trump using a laser pointer to lead you guys head first into corner, into wall, and jumping into the air.....and what are you really doing? What are you changing? Nothing, that's what...do you think that anyone here had you chang their mind, let alone their heart, after the steady barrage of butt-hurt hysteria that assaults every thread? Or is this just a support group, a circle jerk echo chamber where the consolation is a post that somehow convinces you that you aren't the naïve loser that your decisions have somehow concluded you to be? You share in the intellectual and political impotence masterfully displayed by blowhards like Kevin Graham everyday. Seriously, how convinced are you that the Democrats will come up with something when have yet to come up with the reality that it is you, it is you that has to come up with something....and quickly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:29 pm 
God

subgenius wrote:
You guys say "he's getting away with something" as if 1. He is a completely unique political activity in American history, and 2, as if he is not supported by a significant number of Americans. So, yes while you build a Democratic party platform around this incessant and tiresome charge of "you guys are stupid", Republicans are busy winning elections. What will it take for you to understand how absurd your own political responses are? Almost every day has Trump using a laser pointer to lead you guys head first into corner, into wall, and jumping into the air.....and what are you really doing? What are you changing? Nothing, that's what...do you think that anyone here had you chang their mind, let alone their heart, after the steady barrage of butt-hurt hysteria that assaults every thread? Or is this just a support group, a circle jerk echo chamber where the consolation is a post that somehow convinces you that you aren't the naïve loser that your decisions have somehow concluded you to be? You share in the intellectual and political impotence masterfully displayed by blowhards like Kevin Graham everyday. Seriously, how convinced are you that the Democrats will come up with something when have yet to come up with the reality that it is you, it is you that has to come up with something....and quickly

A musty broom with an "R" attached to it could win an election in the right circumstances. You are overestimating the effect of anything related to strategy or policy appeal explaining the relative power distribution of Republicans and Democrats at the moment. Tribalism gonna tribal.

What Trump is getting away with, relatively speaking, is relentless, blatant lying on just about everything, a total inability to display even the most basic understanding of any policy issue despite being President, serious ethical violations, and an alarmingly impulsive disposition that is completely unfit for the office he is in. Firing Comey already seems like eons ago and the media has largely dropped it for now.

Other politicians, possibly including many Republicans, would be destroyed for this, yet Trump limps on.

Like I said, I don't think it's a guarantee he will always get away with this. I wouldn't sleep on Trump winning another term and dragging our long national nightmare out longer, but I also wouldn't sleep on his narcissistic, grifting, lying ways eventually meeting an appropriate end.

Thankfully, one of the things keeping Trump's authoritarian impulses from being fully realized is that he's an incompetent moron. That is a key flaw. I still think we should be worried about "smarter Trump" at some point down the road. Trump has proven our institutions weak enough to be overwhelmed by the same transition into illiberalism that has affected other nations like Turkey.