It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Joel Osteen turning away displaced and homeless ... (WWJD?)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:56 pm 
God

Before public criticism forced him to opening the doors of the huge Lakewood Church, in Houston.

A slow response is better than no response. But still ...

Dang, Joel Osteen. What took you so long?

"On Sunday, Lakewood Church posted on Facebook saying the facility was "inaccessible" due to "severe flooding."

But after several people posted videos on Twitter appearing to show the location relatively unscathed and unaffected by flooding, a swarm of Twitter users began questioning why Osteen’s megachurch, which has the capacity for more than 16,000 people and was once home to the NBA's Houston Rockets, hadn’t been opened as a shelter to those in need."

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/hurri ... ms-n797036

Post subject: Re: Joel Osteen turning away displaced and homeless ... (WWJ
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:00 pm 
God

I suppose he is thinking man ALL those people in my gorgeous church built up unto myself is gonna make it stink and they will trash the joint. The toilets won't accept all the human waste that is going to be produced, so by dang, with Gods blessing, I am going to keep this church spotless. I mean, come on it might make him have to spend an entire .01% of his hundreds of millions to clean up the place after! That indeed would be a crucial problem for his glorious riches......

"Science believes in accountability here and now. Religion believes in it in the hereafter." - Maksutov

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:25 pm 
Apostle

Philo Sofee wrote:
I suppose he is thinking man ALL those people in my gorgeous church built up unto myself is gonna make it stink and they will trash the joint. The toilets won't accept all the human waste that is going to be produced, so by dang, with Gods blessing, I am going to keep this church spotless. I mean, come on it might make him have to spend an entire .01% of his hundreds of millions to clean up the place after! That indeed would be a crucial problem for his glorious riches......

I'm sensing you don't think much of entrepreneurs, and much less of those who found a better business model than apologetics! I can understand. I'd just admit up front as opposed to being shameless in showing your jealously for a complete waste of time in your failed plan!

(and still, aren't you that guy who thought he was the next "Osteen like" celebrity when you were strutting around wearing that "Tanner" name tag?)

I'm thinking you and Peterson should co-invest in a receivership business called "We Apologize". Subject to actually having a seasoned business person on your mgt team - could be a catchy name for the naïve BK judges out -for which there are many!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:32 pm 
God

Philo Sofee wrote:

Something else that might work is to open the Mormon church doors to the displaced and homeless. That way the church will have a steady supply of housekeeping. All they have to do to earn their pay is to clean up after themselves. Toilet bowls and all.

:smile:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:25 pm 
God

AmyJo wrote:
Before public criticism forced him to opening the doors of the huge Lakewood Church, in Houston.

"On Sunday, Lakewood Church posted on Facebook saying the facility was "inaccessible" due to "severe flooding."

But after several people posted videos on Twitter appearing to show the location relatively unscathed and unaffected by flooding, a swarm of Twitter users began questioning why Osteen’s megachurch, which has the capacity for more than 16,000 people and was once home to the NBA's Houston Rockets, hadn’t been opened as a shelter to those in need."

Osteen is a slick little puppy who doesn't care one whit about anyone else's prosperity but his own.

WWJD?

Paddle a boat through the neighborhood, pick up folks and take them to higher ground. In the TEMPLE.

Then send out a flotilla of 12 doing the same.

WWJOD?

Worry about muddy feet on his damn carpet.

Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight ~ Arsu Shaikh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:51 pm 
God

You mean like this guy?

https://cdn.someecards.com/posts/grandma-saved-from-flood-by-hero-on-jet-ski-Clh.jpg

The [img] function isn't working for me, so I apologize for the link. Anyway, it's nice to see the best come out in some people.

- Doc

In the anointed we find a whole class of supposedly ‘thinking people’ who do remarkably little thinking about substance and a great deal of verbal expression. - Dr. Thomas Sowell, Harvard, Columbia, University of Chicago

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:55 pm 
God

Here is a line of people bringing their boats to Houston to rescue people:

https://fat.gfycat.com/PleasedGrimGreathornedowl.webm

eta: Oh. I guess it's the Cajun Navy. Cool. Here is their website:

http://www.louisianacajunnavy.org/

- Doc

In the anointed we find a whole class of supposedly ‘thinking people’ who do remarkably little thinking about substance and a great deal of verbal expression. - Dr. Thomas Sowell, Harvard, Columbia, University of Chicago

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:11 pm 
God

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
You mean like this guy?

https://cdn.someecards.com/posts/grandma-saved-from-flood-by-hero-on-jet-ski-Clh.jpg

The [img] function isn't working for me, so I apologize for the link. Anyway, it's nice to see the best come out in some people.

- Doc

Exactly like that guy. And all the others who did and are still doing the same.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:22 am 
God

Jersey Girl wrote:
AmyJo wrote:

Osteen is a slick little puppy who doesn't care one whit about anyone else's prosperity but his own.

WWJD?

Paddle a boat through the neighborhood, pick up folks and take them to higher ground. In the TEMPLE.

WWJOD?

Pretty sure Jesus would not be online with a log in his eye - Ironically Joel, and Jesus, have probably offered and done more for Houston than you have at this point.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:18 pm 
God

subgenius wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:

WWJD?

WWJOD?

Pretty sure Jesus would not be online with a log in his eye - Ironically Joel, and Jesus, have probably offered and done more for Houston than you have at this point.

Oh puleeze. Osteen is the equivalent of Donald Trump to the religious. Whatever he has done is because of public pressure. Not because it was the right thing to do.

He lives in an ivory tower made from the tithes and offerings of his followers. Religion to him is a vehicle to wealth and self-worship.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:42 pm 
God

subgenius wrote:

Oh just shut up.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:05 pm 
God

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
You mean like this guy?

- Doc

That looks like one of many fine homes the flood waters have destroyed.

Glad she made it out with her life, but I feel badly for the grandfather clock. :sad:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:13 am 
God

AmyJo wrote:
Osteen [...] lives in an ivory tower made from the tithes and offerings of his followers. Religion to him is a vehicle to wealth and self-worship.

Donald Trump: That just proves he is SMART!

That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:47 am 
God

Quote:
Hundreds and hundreds of small boats pulled by countless pickups and SUVs from across the South are headed for Houston and surrounding towns. Almost all of them driven by men. They're using their own property, sacrificing their own time, spending their own money, and risking their own lives for one reason: to help total strangers in desperate need.

Most of them are by themselves. Most are dressed like the redneck duck hunters and bass fisherman they are. Many are veterans. Most are wearing well-used gimme-hats, t-shirts, and jeans; and there's a preponderance of camo. Most are probably gun owners, and most probably voted for Trump.

These are the people the Left loves to hate, the ones Maddow mocks. The ones Maher and Olbermann just know they're so much better than.

These are The Quiet Ones. They don't wear masks and tear down statues. They don't, as a rule, march and demonstrate. And most have probably never been in a Whole Foods.

But they'll spend the next several days wading in cold, dirty water; dodging gators and water moccasins and fire ants; eating whatever meager rations are available; and sleeping wherever they can in dirty, damp clothes. Their reward is the tears and the hugs and the smiles from the terrified people they help. They'll deliver one boatload, and then go back for more.

When disaster strikes, it's what men do. Real men. Heroic men. American men. And then they'll knock back a few shots, or a few beers with like-minded men they've never met before, and talk about fish, or ten-point bucks, or the benefits of hollow-point ammo, or their F-150.

And the next time they hear someone talk about "the patriarchy", or "male privilege", they'll snort, turn off the TV and go to bed. In the meantime, they'll likely be up again before dawn. To do it again. Until the helpless are rescued. And the work's done.

They're unlikely to be reimbursed. There won't be medals. They won't care. They're heroes. And it's what heroes do.

Credit to: Todd McLaren

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:47 am 
God

AmyJo wrote:
Oh puleeze. Osteen is the equivalent of Donald Trump to the religious. Whatever he has done is because of public pressure. Not because it was the right thing to do.

Then you must be so angry at Best Buy right now......so angry I bet

AmyJo wrote:
He lives in an ivory tower made from the tithes and offerings of his followers.

Maybe, but unlikely. It is hard to both have "followers" and be separated from their world. But I get it, you're making a judgment call as a 3rd party non participant...so yeah.

AmyJo wrote:
Religion to him is a vehicle to wealth and self-worship.

Maybe and maybe not. I can see how your prejudice and hate would assume that of him, but in reality you don't know....you just have a bosom burning, eh?

I enjoy how "tolerant" people like yourself are the quickest to judge, quickest to outrage/hysteria, and quickest to decide how religion is supposed to be for everyone else.

Right and wrong are always subjective realities for you guys except when you are using it to condemn someone else.
much respect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:42 am 
God

subgenius wrote:
Maybe and maybe not. I can see how your prejudice and hate would assume that of him, but in reality you don't know....you just have a bosom burning, eh?

I enjoy how "tolerant" people like yourself are the quickest to judge, quickest to outrage/hysteria, and quickest to decide how religion is supposed to be for everyone else.

Right and wrong are always subjective realities for you guys except when you are using it to condemn someone else.
much respect

In Joel's world it's called worshiping false idols. He is an idolator, and money is his god. Same as Donald J. Trump.

Warped priorities in other words. They can't take it with them when they go, but that isn't their objective.

The love of money is idolatrous. Defending those who rob the poor and deprive the needy is your schtick.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:30 pm 
God

subgenius wrote:

[...]

AmyJo wrote:
He lives in an ivory tower made from the tithes and offerings of his followers.

Maybe, but unlikely. It is hard to both have "followers" and be separated from their world.

A man as rich as he is is HUGELY separated from the world of the relatively poor people who provide his income. Don't let's pretend different. Neither of us is that naïve.

subgenius wrote:
AmyJo wrote:
Religion to him is a vehicle to wealth and self-worship.

Maybe and maybe not. I can see how your prejudice and hate would assume that of him ...

Nope. It's simply by far the most probable of all the possibilities for interpreting his actions in creating a huge organisation that funnels money into his bank account(s) by manipulating people's religious urges. Do you have a more likely explanation?

That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:13 pm 
God

Chap wrote:
A man as rich as he is is HUGELY separated from the world of the relatively poor people who provide his income. Don't let's pretend different. Neither of us is that naïve.

You appear to have facts not yet in evidence. Care to provide some substance for your claim here? I mean why are you assuming its poor people? And with such a HUGE difference, how is he able to get any money?

Chap wrote:
Nope. It's simply by far the most probable of all the possibilities for interpreting his actions in creating a huge organisation that funnels money into his bank account(s) by manipulating people's religious urges. Do you have a more likely explanation?

Most probable? Based on exactly what metric? - Your cynicism?

And why do you even need an explanation at all? There is nothing that I or anyone else could offer that could convince you of anything contrary to that pop-liberal-echo that bounces between your ears.

I mean on one level, what does this even have to do with your life? What is your goal? Are expecting some sort of uprising spurred on by your own gilded participation in this event?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:03 am 
God

subgenius wrote:
Chap wrote:

You appear to have facts not yet in evidence. Care to provide some substance for your claim here? I mean why are you assuming its poor people? And with such a HUGE difference, how is he able to get any money?

Relative to Osteen, most of the population is poor ... and on the whole, people who think that giving people like him shedloads of money will bring them salvation would tend to be a little too naïve to get rich, wouldn't you think? And the existence of a mass of very rich 'evangelists' shows that the market is there, waiting, and eager.

subgenius wrote:
Chap wrote:

Most probable? Based on exactly what metric? - Your cynicism?

You mean that Osteen becoming immensely rich might just be an unintended consequence of his religious entrepreneurship? I don't use emoticons much, but in this case:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:39 am 
God

Osteen is probably the nicest, most respectable of the prosperity gospel televangelists, so it's nice to see him being crushed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:54 pm 
God

Quote:
Subgenius
You appear to have facts not yet in evidence. Care to provide some substance for your claim here?

This from the man who just had said Jesus has done more for Texas than anyone else.... he has no evidence or substance Jesus has done anything yet, let alone contributed anything except deadly dirty noxious undrinkable polluted water from a hurricane. :rolleyes:

"Science believes in accountability here and now. Religion believes in it in the hereafter." - Maksutov