It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Diapers for Hurricane Harvey babies (Do it. Do it now.)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:01 pm 
God

Challenge to MormonDiscussions.com!

There are now thousands of hurricane Harvey evacuees being placed in shelters in Texas. Some of those are young children who are in need of diapers. Diapers are NOT part of disaster relief packages.

Let's save those little baby buns! <3

You can help make these days a little easier for displaced parents and their children by sending diapers to the address below or donating to the Texas Diaper Bank. Link embedded in the article and posted below the article. Please read on.

Do it. Do it now, MormonDiscussions.com.

Quote:

Texas Diaper Bank in need of donations for families displaced by Hurricane Harvey

SAN ANTONIO, Texas – The Texas Diaper Bank needs you to take action to help provide donations to help families affected by Hurricane Harvey.
According to the diaper bank, diapers are not provided by disaster relief agencies.
Disaster relief kits with donation supplies will go to those affected by natural disasters in Texas with diapers. If you or someone you know is in the area, they can drop off items at their location on 5415 Bandera Road, Suite 504, San Antonio, TX 78238.
If you’re not in the area, you can click here to make a cash donation.

https://texasdiaperbank.networkforgood. ... nge-a-life

Stay close to the people who feel like sunlight ~ Arsu Shaikh

Last edited by Jersey Girl on Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Diapers for Hurricane Harvey babies (Do it. Do it now.)
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:08 pm 
God

For example:

Quote:
The George Brown Convention Center in Houston is currently holding around 9,000 people, and officials are about to open another shelter soon.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/29/us/texas-harvey-latest/

All those people and no place for children who aren't toilet trained to potty. Can you imagine?

Send diapers! Send diaper money!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:31 pm 
Sunbeam

I think this is a great idea.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:36 am 
God

Thank you Jersey Girl for the giving opportunity.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:21 am 
Prophet

Excellent suggestion here Jersey Girl.

If you're looking for other ways to help, Google is matching up to 1 million in contributions made to the American Red Cross. As of the time of this posting they are still $300K away from their goal. You can access a link to this directly from the Google homepage or here:

https://www.google.org/harvey-relief/?u ... vey-donate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:35 am 
Bell Ringer

Hey Jersey Girl! Maybe you have posted this elsewhere, but do you have recommendations on size and addresses? I'm guessing that bigger is better. Thinking that one could put a big one on a little kid, but not a little one on a big kid.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:35 pm 
God

Hey All,

Good god I was just watching a report by FEMA. Apparently there are 30K people in 230 shelters at the moment. He said that basically those numbers are changing by the minute.

Quasi the address for the Texas Diaper Bank:

5415 Bandera Road, Suite 504, San Antonio, TX 78238.

All:

Here are my current thoughts.

I think if you want to Prime ship, I'd be tempted to go with larger sizes for now, for two reasons. When people think of children in diapers, they think about infants and young toddlers. There's plenty of older toddlers who are yet to be toilet trained, so folks might not think of them right away. So large size diapers or pull ups would probably be a good idea as a start.

I say "as a start" because as I'm looking at the numbers such as above and the fact that FEMA has received 195K registrations for assistance, the fact that the focus right now is on rescue and live saving efforts, people who left with the clothes on their backs, without daily medications, folks evacuated from nursing homes who need their meds, oxygen tanks, etc., (adult diapers?), the breadth and scope of this situation is almost beyond comprehension. I mean, I myself have been going around in circles since yesterday trying to get an RX refill now sent to another pharmacy and I'm on dry land, with phone service, a gassed up vehicle and none of the evacuees in Texas have access to ____ let alone are they going to get all their meds on board right away.

Apparently mainly the Red Cross is facilitating disaster relief as first responder if you will. All, I can say is it's going to be a long, long journey getting folks back into anything resembling a home.

I'm thinking too, how people rush to respond with things like this diaper campaign in the first few weeks, first month, of a natural disaster like this and unless (in the case of diapers) the diaper companies or the Walton family or Costco or someone starts dumping truckloads of diapers into the area (like the breweries have switched their manufacturing production to water for the relief efforts) I think this is going to be a fairly long term need--the diapers. I really want to find out about adult diapers as well, because we need to recognize the there are 2 main vulnerable populations--young children and our elderly folks.

I'm almost certain that diaper companies will get on board just like Tide sends mobile laundry facilities into a natural disaster area. I'll keep an eye out for that happening and post about it here.

One thing that I think is a major concern is the fuel supply for POV's and semi trucks.

Anyway, what I'm planning to do myself is to dump money into the Texas Diaper Bank tomorrow when I get paid and let them do the ordering for their distribution warehouse based on inventory/need. If I see anything that asks for specific sizes, I'll say so on this thread.

I appreciate so much the response to this thread. When we think of natural disaster, we think of getting people to safety, into shelters and feeding them. Welp, I'm here to tell you, a large number of displaced young children without diapers could be a whole 'nuther form of natural disaster!

You guys are the best! You'll make some parents and their little ones very happy by pitching in!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:19 pm 
God

Of course there are multiple agencies that are providing disaster relief from which to choose. I mentioned in another thread about how during Katrina, a call went out for ECE professionals to go in and serve young children and their families. I also mentioned an area association I was monitoring.

So I'm going to do my thing here. :-)

It looks like what they need right now in terms of early education support is money to rebuild the ECE community. If anyone is interested, here's the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) affiliate in Texas. That's the area association I was referring to. There's a link there for donations specifically related to hurricane Harvey victims.

http://www.texasaeyc.org/

When they talk about rebuilding the early childhood community, they're referring to the fact that the materials and equipment in local ECE programs are under water and inaccessible, likely destroyed. That doesn't mean that the ECE community cannot serve the local population housed in disaster relief shelters. Every ECE professional who has worked for a non-profit (which comprises the majority of ECE programs) knows how to "make something out of nothing". I guarantee it!

Our profession of skilled and educated ECE professionals, can go into the shelters and provide experiences to help children process all that has happened to them, focusing on bringing children emotionally and psychologically "in and out" of the situation by providing typical early education experiences and those that allow children to express and discharge their feelings about it. Young children will react with a combination of a sense of adventure mixed with fear. It's important that they are served during a time when they have been suddenly removed from all that is familiar to them.

There are folks who think young children don't "get it" when something like this happens. They certainly get it and they experience the same stress and anxiety as adults do. For example, I taught during the 9/11 crisis. Without ever initiating a class discussion about the event (we follow the children's lead to determine need), I had multiple children constructing Twin Towers with legos and blocks, using toy fire trucks and planes to reenact the events and believe me, they had it "down" to the very last detail and in sequence. I audio recorded their play conversations for parents. Parents were amazed and shocked that their children had collected so much detailed information even when parents made it a priority not to discuss the situation in front of the children.

Make no mistake about it. The children know what's taken place. They do need adult help and support to process it.

I want to share with you this. A story that was first shared with me by my mentor Bev Bos.

Quote:
And How Are the Children?

By Patrick T O'Neill

Among the most accomplished and fabled tribes of Africa, no tribe was considered to have warriors more fearsome or more intelligent than the mighty Masai. It is perhaps surprising, then, to learn the traditional greeting that passed between Masai warriors: "Kasserian Ingera," one would always say to another. It means, "And how are the children?"

It is still the traditional greeting among the Masai, acknowledging the high value that the Masai always place on their children's well-being. Even warriors with no children of their own would always give the traditional answer, "All the children are well."

Meaning, of course, that peace and safety prevail, that the priorities of protecting the young, the powerless, are in place. That Masai society has not forgotten its reason for being, its proper functions and responsibilities. "All the children are well" means that life is good. It means that the daily struggles for existence do not preclude proper caring for their young.

I wonder how it might affect our consciousness of our own children's welfare if in our culture we took to greeting each other with this daily question: "And how are the children?" I wonder if we heard that question and passed it along to each other a dozen times a day, if it would begin to make a difference in the reality of how children are thought of or cared about in our own country.

I wonder if every adult among us, parent and non-parent alike, felt an equal weight for the daily care and protection of all the children in our community, in our town, in our state, in our country... I wonder if we could truly say without any hesitation, "The children are well, yes, all the children are well."

What would it be like... if the minister began every worship service by answering the question, "And how are the children?" If every town leader had to answer the question at the beginning of every meeting: "And how are the children? Are they all well?" Wouldn't it be interesting to hear their answers? What would it be like? I wonder...

http://www.uua.org/worship/words/readin ... e-children

If you have a few extra dollars, won't you please donate it to the Texas Diaper Bank or TAEYC, or other disaster relief you can find that serves children?

What would it be like if everyone did so? And, when we were asked, "How are the children in Texas?"

We could confidently say, "They are supported."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:00 pm 
Bell Ringer

Jersey Girl wrote:
Hey All,

Good god I was just watching a report by FEMA. Apparently there are 30K people in 230 shelters at the moment. He said that basically those numbers are changing by the minute.

Quasi the address for the Texas Diaper Bank:

5415 Bandera Road, Suite 504, San Antonio, TX 78238.

All:

Here are my current thoughts.

I think if you want to Prime ship, I'd be tempted to go with larger sizes for now, for two reasons. When people think of children in diapers, they think about infants and young toddlers. There's plenty of older toddlers who are yet to be toilet trained, so folks might not think of them right away. So large size diapers or pull ups would probably be a good idea as a start.

I say "as a start" because as I'm looking at the numbers such as above and the fact that FEMA has received 195K registrations for assistance, the fact that the focus right now is on rescue and live saving efforts, people who left with the clothes on their backs, without daily medications, folks evacuated from nursing homes who need their meds, oxygen tanks, etc., (adult diapers?), the breadth and scope of this situation is almost beyond comprehension. I mean, I myself have been going around in circles since yesterday trying to get an RX refill now sent to another pharmacy and I'm on dry land, with phone service, a gassed up vehicle and none of the evacuees in Texas have access to ____ let alone are they going to get all their meds on board right away.

Apparently mainly the Red Cross is facilitating disaster relief as first responder if you will. All, I can say is it's going to be a long, long journey getting folks back into anything resembling a home.

I'm thinking too, how people rush to respond with things like this diaper campaign in the first few weeks, first month, of a natural disaster like this and unless (in the case of diapers) the diaper companies or the Walton family or Costco or someone starts dumping truckloads of diapers into the area (like the breweries have switched their manufacturing production to water for the relief efforts) I think this is going to be a fairly long term need--the diapers. I really want to find out about adult diapers as well, because we need to recognize the there are 2 main vulnerable populations--young children and our elderly folks.

I'm almost certain that diaper companies will get on board just like Tide sends mobile laundry facilities into a natural disaster area. I'll keep an eye out for that happening and post about it here.

One thing that I think is a major concern is the fuel supply for POV's and semi trucks.

Anyway, what I'm planning to do myself is to dump money into the Texas Diaper Bank tomorrow when I get paid and let them do the ordering for their distribution warehouse based on inventory/need. If I see anything that asks for specific sizes, I'll say so on this thread.

I appreciate so much the response to this thread. When we think of natural disaster, we think of getting people to safety, into shelters and feeding them. Welp, I'm here to tell you, a large number of displaced young children without diapers could be a whole 'nuther form of natural disaster!

You guys are the best! You'll make some parents and their little ones very happy by pitching in!

Thanks Jersey Girl! My wife said to tell you that this is a wonderful idea! I think so, too! On their way. I sent size 5.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:32 pm 
God

Quasimodo wrote:
Thanks Jersey Girl! My wife said to tell you that this is a wonderful idea! I think so, too! On their way. I sent size 5.

I puffy heart you both for caring and helping!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:02 pm 
God

TAEYC link below that contains additional links for disaster relief.

http://www.texasaeyc.org/cms/One.aspx?p ... Id=6840790

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:05 pm 
God

I didn't want to put this in MeDot's new thread because he specified that it was for future solutions.

Here are satellite images before and after of the area.

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2017/08/31 ... ey-tsr.cnn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:05 pm 
God

Reporting in!

Just did my donation to Texas Diaper Bank. Process is as easy as shopping online. Also learned that they supply not only children's diapers but also ADULT diapers to elderly and disabled!

One stop shopping! Just do it!

:-)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:43 pm 
God

Just bumping in case someone has missed this opportunity to help out the folks in Texas.