What is an American?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

What is an American?

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

So, with all the comments lately about 'blood and soil' and whatnot I'd like to share this post from Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskAnAmerican/ ... &context=3

Americans, would you ever consider a foreigner an American? At what point would you make this distinction?

[–]stoicsilence [+2] Ventura County 8892 points 19 hours ago x10

Tens of thousands even hundreds of thousands of Americans are born every year around the world.
They just haven't come home yet.

That's just such a quintessential take on what it means to be American. I think we can all agree with that sentiment, no?

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Re: What is an American?

Post by _Xenophon »

I think it is a wonderful sentiment, Doc.

I think we can all agree with that sentiment, no?

Giving some posters' histories and especially regarding current events, I would say that "No not every one will agree with that on this board".
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Now, if we were to see Native Americans demonstrating with that slogan 'blood and soil', it might make some slight historical sense, even if one might criticise it strongly.

But white people who for the most part know that their ancestors only arrived in North America in the last couple of centuries?

Ridiculous.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

An American citizen who supports liberal democracy, broadly construed, and the USA insofar as it upholds those values. People who hold those values but aren't naturalized are Americans in spirit and are good candidates to officially become American.

This is sometimes called the creedal approach to what it means to be American and I very strongly believe in it.

Blood and soil is its antithesis.
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

While technically it is anyone born here or naturalized. I like to think that anyone who supports the ideals of a liberal democracy with liberty and justice for all is an American in spirit.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:So, with all the comments lately about 'blood and soil' and whatnot I'd like to share this post from Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskAnAmerican/ ... &context=3

Americans, would you ever consider a foreigner an American? At what point would you make this distinction?

[–]stoicsilence [+2] Ventura County 8892 points 19 hours ago x10

Tens of thousands even hundreds of thousands of Americans are born every year around the world.

That's just such a quintessential take on what it means to be American. I think we can all agree with that sentiment, no?

- Doc

Wow, what a basket of "burning in the bosom" Doc has spilled.
It is impossible to consider a foreigner an American by right of the very definition of foreigner.
How difficult is it to actually understand what an American is/means? People always try to obfuscate actual and simple meanings with sentiment and other "spirit testimony" when motivated to blur reality for some sort of nefarious political purpose.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Post by _Kevin Graham »

A dumb American is anyone who voted Trump.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:Tens of thousands even hundreds of thousands of Americans are born every year around the world.

subgenius wrote:It is impossible to consider a foreigner an American by right of the very definition of foreigner.

Yup. Poor old subgenius cannot compute.

Try feeding in 'A stranger is a friend that you haven't yet met', and see what that does to his CPU.

Before the fuses blow or his keyboard starts spouting smoke and flames, he might just work out that the word 'potential' is implied in both cases.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Kevin Graham wrote:A dumb American is anyone who voted Trump.

heh, and all this time I thought you voted for Clinton
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Chap wrote:Try feeding in 'A stranger is a friend that you haven't yet met', and see what that does to his CPU.

oh, i get it...you still have that head injury.

AmericansFriends, would you ever consider a foreignersomeone you have never met an Americana friend? At what point would you make this distinction?

yeah, that all makes good sense now....what is a friend? no, it is not someone you know or even someone you have met....friends are in fact strangers, friends are people you know nothing about and likely do not even know exist....the word "stranger" is a tool of our oppressors, "stranger" is a boogeyman created by old white Republicans to keep black people on food stamps and out of white girls' cars...it is so compute-able now, i do compute! i do compute!

Look! its KG and Chap collaborating on a post