Jeff Flake: Honest Mormon Republican Senator?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Re: Jeff Flake: Honest Mormon Republican Senator?

Post by _The CCC »

Maxine Waters wrote:
Is George Will even a consevative now? Sean Hannity is a registered conservative. What is conservative about George Will's views?

Cinepro I remember you saying, "What a disaster Mitt Romney turned out to be," shortly after he lost the election of 2012. I didn't know it at the time, but Mitt Romney's loss ended up being the best thing for us. RINOs always criticized the Tea Party saying, "The Tea Party can't win." It seems to me that it's the moderate Republicans like John McCain and Mitt Romney that can't win elections.

Sadly our Republican majority congress won't even help stop the backup of Trump nominees that need to be confirmed to run the government. It's their way of leaving Obama appointees in power. It's a silent coup being staged by the establishment to usurp the will of the voter in a democratic election.

Mr. Will is still a conservative, but he no longer considers himself a Republican.

Mr. Romney was born with a gold-plated Latnum spoon in his mouth, and it showed. Remember it was your hero Drumpf that claimed McCain wasn't a war hero.

Drumpf has not even nominated most of the people that could be serving if his goal was to actually staff these departments. The whole goal is to eliminate the administrative state by not filling those positions.
SEE http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/07/news/ec ... index.html

by the way. The Republicans, not Democrats, control the Senate where nominations are confirmed.
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Post by _cinepro »

Maksutov wrote:Talk is cheap.

Yes, but it's a start.
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Post by _Brackite »

One vulnerable Republican senator just got brutal poll numbers after his vote on the Republican healthcare bill:
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/one-vuln ... 24278.html

But the bit of good news for GOP Senator Flake is that Democratic Congresswoman Kyrsten Sinema is likely not going to run for that Senate seat. Link

Cinepro I remember you saying, "What a disaster Mitt Romney turned out to be," shortly after he lost the election of 2012. I didn't know it at the time, but Mitt Romney's loss ended up being the best thing for us.

Yes, it did end up being better for Republicans that Romney lost back in 2012. Republicans wouldn't have picked up as many as nine Senate seats in 2014 if Romney wouldn't have lost back in 2012. And Republican Senators were able to recently get a conservative Justice on the Supreme Court.

RINOs always criticized the Tea Party saying, "The Tea Party can't win." It seems to me that it's the moderate Republicans like John McCain and Mitt Romney that can't win elections.

Well, there are not really such things as "RINOS", and I am not aware of when Trump claimed to be a Tea Party Republican. Yes, Trump is a Republican, but he is not really a Tea Party Republican. Anyway, Trump ended up winning the states PA, MI, and WI all by less than one percentage point. Trump's margin over Clinton from the battleground states of Florida, PA, MI, and WI averaged out at just 0.82% while Clinton's nationwide popular vote margin over Trump was 2.1%.
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Post by _Brackite »

It is now looking worse for Senator Flake's re-election chances. Democratic Congresswoman Kyrsten Sinema is probably going to run for that Senate seat.

Arizona Democrat eyeing a bid for Senate

Rep. Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.) is eyeing a Senate bid, according to a new report, in a move that would give Democrats a top recruit in the race to unseat Republican Sen. Jeff Flake.

Phoenix's KPNX-TV reports that sources familiar with Sinema's plans have confirmed that she will run against Flake, but the congresswoman has not officially announced any decision.

Sinema confirmed in a statement shared with The Hill that she's "seriously considering" a bid.

"I’ve heard from many Arizonans encouraging me to run for the United States Senate. It is something I am seriously considering," she said.

"When I make any decisions, Arizonans will be the first to know."

She's been the subject of rumors surrounding a possible bid throughout the year. Reporters had taken her declaration that she is "running for reelection" to mean that she would seek to remain in the House. But Sinema later clarified that she had been referring to her current status instead of swearing off a jump toward the Senate.

If Sinema ultimately goes through with a bid, she instantly becomes the Democratic favorite in what's likely to be one of the toughest Senate races in the country. Both Sinema and Flake are strong fundraisers — she has more than $3.2 million in her campaign account as of July, while Flake has just under $3 million.

Democrats believe they can topple Flake thanks to both the trends in the state as well as Flake's issues with the GOP base.
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter