P.E. in school: Outdated & obsolete?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Re: P.E. in school: Outdated & obsolete?

Post by _subgenius »

Dr. Shades wrote:
subgenius wrote:But you raise an interesting question for how to and who will determine which kid is bent this way and which kid is bent that way - would there be a "People's Congress on Bent Children" that would be responsible for such a thing?

??? Absolutely not. The answer is obvious: Make P.E. an elective only, and the kid him- or herself would choose.

and so likewise the more "physically bent" child would be free to opt out of science class?

Dr. Shades wrote:Now, QUOTED FOR TRUTH:
~Insert supporting anecdote here (notwithstanding any contrary anecdote)~

That was my experience in Utah 100%, literally without ANY VARIANCE WHATSOEVER. You can't tell me that that benefits anyone in any way.

Fair enough, but your experience does not conclude with - "because P.E." and therefore without P.E. such experiences will be absent from childhood. You are conflating some sort of social-science here as well.

Dr. Shades wrote:It looks like some people in this thread are conflating "recess" with "P.E." Let's keep them separate from now on. Yes, recess is good for developing minds and bodies. P.E.? Not so much, if at all. Besides, the age at which kids are forced to take P.E. is precisely the time in their life when they least need it.

First, kids can easily "bully" other kids even during recess.
Second, recess is not instructive...ergo the whole name being "recess". Recess and P.E. are mutually exclusive, as they should be...but they are both necessary and beneficial to a child.
One cannot simply let kids have "recess" in a science lab and expect them to learn about science.
To be honest I am unclear on exactly what your objection is to Physical Education, because it appears to not be and objection against P.E. itself but rather more so an objection against some sort of 1980s movie stereotype about jocks and nerds.

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: P.E. in school: Outdated & obsolete?

Post by _Jersey Girl »

subgenius wrote:
Dr. Shades wrote:??? Absolutely not. The answer is obvious: Make P.E. an elective only, and the kid him- or herself would choose.

and so likewise the more "physically bent" child would be free to opt out of science class?

Where do you dream up this misdirected crap? Science isn't an elective.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb