Boeing Plans Layoffs After Trump's Boast

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Kevin Graham
_Emeritus

Re: Boeing Plans Layoffs After Trump's Boast

Post by _Kevin Graham »

Ceeboo wrote:
I think I'll just pass - on all of it.

Peace,
Ceeboo

The only smart thing you've done.
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

Chap wrote:Now , if you can bear to stop talking about yourself for a moment or two

That's freaking hilarious!

You made a post that was entirely and only about me - And I replied to your specific post that was entirely and only about me - and now you post this?

Actually, I don't really blame you.
If your getting destroyed in a discussion, it is indeed wise to change the course of said discussion.

do you have anything to say about what I said above on the topic of the thread?

Sure, since you asked, I'll offer you my thoughts

Chap wrote:I am certainly sorry that anybody who is not well-off and secure can have been foolish and naïvely credulous enough to have voted for Trump and then to have expected that he would make good things happen to them.

I think your political glasses are preventing you form be able to sympathize - or have empathy for - human beings and their families that are facing the loss of a job.

In other words, to extend your sympathy to - or to have compassion and empathy for - other human beings - ought to be cemented in and directly because of the position that they find themselves in.

If we terminate our sympathy and empathy toward other human beings because we find them to be "foolish" or "naïvely credulous enough to have voted for Trump" then we are, in this case, terminating sympathy and empathy to each and every one of the over 65 million Americans who are citizens of this country. Perhaps that isn't the best way for human beings to determine when, why, where and/or how we ought to consider extending these things to one another.

But, y'know, they are also lucky in a way. Because this is a learning opportunity for them, isn't it? So in a way, they also deserve congratulations for their good fortune. Like good Republicans, they will surely know how to use this experience to be even more self-reliant than ever.

Your political glasses seem to be forcing you to see all things through a thick political lens.
Unlike you, I don't think these folks in South Carolina are "lucky in a way" nor do I think these folks "deserve congratulations for their good fortune."

I don't think you do either, I think you just can't resist an opportunity to display your personal political views - above all else.

You know who I am really, truly sorry for, though? The majority of voting Americans, who voted Clinton but got Trump

Yeah, I know.

And I feel sorry for every single family that lost their job in South Carolina - no matter who they voted for or what political party they are affiliated with.

Now go away. :smile:

Peace,
Ceeboo
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Ceeboo wrote:I think your political glasses are preventing you form be able to sympathize - or have empathy for - human beings and their families that are facing the loss of a job.

Not really. It's more like 'different strokes for different folks'. See below.

Ceeboo wrote:In other words, to extend your sympathy to - or to have compassion and empathy for - other human beings - ought to be cemented in and directly because of the position that they find themselves in.

If we terminate our sympathy and empathy toward other human beings because we find them to be "foolish" or "naïvely credulous enough to have voted for Trump" then we are, in this case, terminating sympathy and empathy to each and every one of the over 65 million Americans who are citizens of this country. Perhaps that isn't the best way for human beings to determine when, why, where and/or how we ought to consider extending these things to one another.

Different situations can appropriately call forth different reactions.

Suppose I see someone buying a second-hand car from a salesman who tells him that all the cars that he sells can fly, and despite the efforts of others to explain that the salesman is a well-known serial scam artist, I then see the guy pay his money and drive proudly away, saying how every red-blooded American should buy cars from this guy, so that all Americans can fly, just like they used to be able to do. (Following me so far?)

Then I see the poor sap load his entire family into the car and tell them they are going to get an aerial view of the Grand Canyon. Chanting 'Crump!' 'Crump!' (for that is the salesman's name) and 'Make America Fly Again!' they drive over the edge to their doom.

Yes, I'm sorry for them: principally sorry that their lives brought them to make such a really dumb decision. It is however a decision for whose consequences they are in major part responsible. But the best thing I can do is to warn others in the clearest terms that this is what happens to people who make obviously stupid choices, and ignore the best efforts of others to point out how bad those choices are.

Who am I more sorry for? Why, the family who are killed when the other family's car crashes down on their picnic party. They made sensible choices. But the other family's dumb choices killed them too. One misfortune is not equivalent to the other.

[Edited for typo]
Last edited by Guest on Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Ceeboo, do you have the same amount of sympathy for people in prison as you do for everyone else? Murderers, rapists, thieves, and such? Or do you think to yourself, well, ya know, if they'd just obeyed the law, they wouldn't be in prison right now? Should we feel sorry for their incarceration?

I'm just wondering how far this sympathy for all mantra you've got going extends.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

Some Schmo wrote:Ceeboo, do you have the same amount of sympathy for people in prison as you do for everyone else? Murderers, rapists, thieves, and such?

What a preposterous question!

No, I don't have the same sympathy for murderers and rapists as I do for the free citizens in South Carolina that lost their job due to layoffs.

Ridiculous!

And with that, I am going to remove myself from this thread/discussion as I wanted to add my voice to the mix and I think I have done so.

Peace,
Ceeboo
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Ceeboo wrote:
Some Schmo wrote:Ceeboo, do you have the same amount of sympathy for people in prison as you do for everyone else? Murderers, rapists, thieves, and such?

What a preposterous question!

No, I don't have the same sympathy for murderers and rapists as I do for the free citizens in South Carolina that lost their job due to layoffs.

Ridiculous!

And with that, I am going to remove myself from this thread/discussion as I wanted to add my voice to the mix and I think I have done so.

Peace,
Ceeboo

You answered a question I didn't ask.

But you did reveal that people's prior actions help determine how much sympathy you have for them. It shouldn't be any mystery to you, therefore, why I don't sympathize with Drumpf voters.
_cinepro
_Emeritus

Post by _cinepro »

Some Schmo wrote:As far as Hillary goes, perhaps she didn't say anything because she knew it was a dumb promise to make. I do remember her saying something about funding programs for ex-coal miners and was lambasted for having the audacity to suggest the coal mining industry was dying.

That still doesn't make her the rational choice. Since the act of voting has almost no cost other than a small investment of time and effort, it's not much of a stretch to choose between the .001% chance of Trump actually being able to help me keep my job like he said he would, or the candidate who spent 0% of her time and effort speaking about the thing I am most worried about.

They might have been stupid if they were overconfident in Trump's ability to deliver, but just voting for him alone doesn't mean they acted stupidly or irrationally. It's like the choice between a free lottery ticket and nothing. I don't believe in the lottery on principle (and think it's a con), but if someone offered me a free ticket, I would take it.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

cinepro wrote:That still doesn't make her the rational choice. Since the act of voting has almost no cost other than a small investment of time and effort, it's not much of a stretch to choose between the .001% chance of Trump actually being able to help me keep my job like he said he would, or the candidate who spent 0% of her time and effort speaking about the thing I am most worried about.

They might have been stupid if they were overconfident in Trump's ability to deliver, but just voting for him alone doesn't mean they acted stupidly or irrationally. It's like the choice between a free lottery ticket and nothing. I don't believe in the lottery on principle (and think it's a con), but if someone offered me a free ticket, I would take it.

It would have been faster for you to just admit your judgment sucks ass as well.