As if Things Were Not Already Scary Enough . . .

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Re: As if Things Were Not Already Scary Enough . . .

Post by _subgenius »

Chap wrote:
subgenius wrote:First, are you saying that this an unprecedented event with the DoE?

Pretty well every response by this person to any issue involving the Trump administration amounts to a variation on 'Yeah, but what about Clinton's emails?'

Now, imagine 8 years of "Yeah, but that was really Bush's fault"

neither of which reveal what Gunnar's complaint is here.....is the OP a complaint about the authority to issue the directive or just the directive itself?

Would Gunnar be posting this same exclamatory post if Ernest Moniz (who you and Gunnar have never heard of before today) had ordered a staff report to show renewable energy helps the electric grid ?

It is a fair question i pose, manifest by the fact that you and Gunnar immediately avoid an honest response with a deflection and some sort of odd "i know what you are really asking" jibberish.

Perhaps the more honest answer should have been - " Gee, subgenius, I really don't know what I am saying because my hysteria only requires a cursory familiarity with any topic"
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

Ernest Moniz is a well known and respected nuclear scientist. Rick Perry finally figured out what the DoE does.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

subgenius wrote:Would Gunnar be posting this same exclamatory post if Ernest Moniz (who you and Gunnar have never heard of before today) had ordered a staff report to show renewable energy helps the electric grid ?

Ah Subby the Troll. He can't deal with the OP so he has to attack the poster, who I suspect may not put up as much stink about a report being order to make renewable energy look good, but would still think it very wrong to do. Will Subby deal with the OP? If we go on his posting history, it's very very unlikely.

It's obvious why Rick Perry was given this post. He is not qualified for the job, and is probably under the influence of the fossil fuel industry, so we shouldn't be surprised he will go after energy sources in competition with fossil fuels. It's sad the extreme right defines so much about themselves as not being for what ever the left supports. The environment shouldn't be a left or right issue. How to solve the problems can be, but not that there is a problem when the science is quite clear.
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

The first solar electric cells were developed in 1954 by the US. Gearing it up to large scale production has been ceded to China.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

subgenius wrote:First, are you saying that this an unprecedented event with the DoE?

Whether there is as blatant a precedent for that event as this present one or not (which I doubt) does not lessen the perfidy and dishonesty of the present blatant attempt to dictate to scientists in advance what results they must come up with, regardless of what actually conforms to reality.

Think for the most part, the DOE has done an honest and creditable job of research on energy issues and honestly informing their government overseers about the results. One criticism I have of them (and the government) is abandoning the development of thorium nuclear reactors which are inherently cleaner, more efficient, and inherently safer, because they could not be used to create the fissile isotopes needed for nuclear weapons.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Gunnar wrote:

Whether there is as blatant a precedent for that event as this present one or not (which I doubt) does not lessen the perfidy and dishonesty of the present blatant attempt to dictate to scientists in advance what results they must come up with, regardless of what actually conforms to reality.

Think for the most part, the DOE has done an honest and creditable job of research on energy issues and honestly informing their government overseers about the results. One criticism I have of them (and the government) is abandoning the development of thorium nuclear reactors which are inherently cleaner, more efficient, and inherently safer, because they could not be used to create the fissile isotopes needed for nuclear weapons.

I agree, the precedence has no relevance to Perry's action unless it is an action that he is not legally entitled to perform.
My inquiry was to understand the integrity of your objection...and as you note here, there is little integrity for your objection. In other words, its as if the OP condones cheating when it is the home team that does the cheating.
So, the OP is without integrity and thus leaves little for discussion but much for those eager to join your circle jerk
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

The fact remains that for Perry to order the EPA to come only to the conclusion that he favors at the behest of the fossil fuel industry is shameful and disturbing. He has made it abundantly clear that he would absolutely not accept any analysis that favors the development of renewable energy or accepts the reality and danger of global warming. It is so stupidly short sighted, and will almost certainly do tremendous harm to the American economy. He obviously cares not a bit about anything other than kowtowing to the demands extremely wealthy and powerful fossil fuel industry donors, no matter how much it hurts everyone else -- especially home grown renewable energy entrepreneurs and companies. It puts America in danger of losing out competitively in what is turning out to be a rapidly growing and extremely lucrative industry and jobs creator. It is the abysmal integrity of Trump, Perry, Pruitt and the rest of the anti-scientific ignoramuses in the Trump administration that is at issue -- not mine or those who recognize the tremendous benefit and potential of renewable energy.

Why are you so determined to blind yourself to the glaringly obvious corruption, avarice and willful ignorance of these people? Why can't you see glaringly obvious fact that all their efforts are deliberately aimed at further enriching the already extremely wealthy and powerful at the expense of everyone else, especially the poor and powerless"
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison