Congressmen shot call for changing the tone of dialogue USA

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Re: Congressmen shot call for changing the tone of dialogue

Post by _The CCC »

I was in my later teens when Bobby was murdered. It sure changed my relatively safe world, and not for the better.
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

MeDotOrg wrote:Violence and terror release a kind of social adrenaline into the public consciousness. My fear right now is that someone will read about this act and it will trigger a strong reaction, either in support or against this attack against Republicans. The initial response by most Democrats and Republicans has been positive.

Things feel extraordinarily raw in this country right now.

There seems to be two opposing social wills going on right now: one toward a strengthening of American unity, and another toward a 21st century civil war (or perhaps more accurately, a war on civility).

It's hard to know which one can prevail in this climate, but I suppose I'm seeing more positive energy coming from the bulk of people than the fringe nuts whose crap we read on the internet. I'm somewhat encouraged by this. I suspect it's a mistake to put too much stock in the partisan rhetoric we read in the comments sections of the various articles we read. The vocal minority is loud and obnoxious, to be sure, but I do think they are a minority.

Gun violence in this country has been real for a very long time. The reasons for it are just fashion trends.

But hey, if it causes congress a moment of serious reflection, I see that as a well needed thing.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

beastie wrote:This is so depressing. I just listened to a Morning Joe here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq-7zoXQ69Y

I think they made a good point. I think our representatives need to take the lead on this issue. They need to start being friends again (some still are, but it's less so since reps starting traveling home more) with folks on the other side of the aisle. They need to tell their constituents that the folks on the other side of the aisle aren't evil, we all care about this country, we just have different ideas that can be debated. (like McCain did when he defended Obama)

I agree with you but also contend that it is Trump himself who needs to speak to this publicly. I blame his rhetoric on the campaign trail for opening this Pandora's box of violence. I will never forget the statement he made at a rally where someone became unruly or what have you, and he said to the effect, "You know how we would have handled this in the old days, right?"

And I knew without question that what he meant was we would have kicked his ass.

It's not that racism hasn't existed this whole time. It's not that certain members of society didn't have violent tendencies this whole time.

It's that Trump and his rhetoric made it okay.

He needs to get his face in front of the camera and address the nation directly. Not just telling people to "stop it" but explain that he doesn't condone the violence and instead of screaming like a little bitch (it's late, forgive) every five seconds about how the Dems are all obstructionists, take on the role of coach and talk up the bipartisan team.

And hell will freeze over before he does that.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

EAllusion wrote:The frightening thing is assassination is an effective political tool. The assassination of Bobby Kennedy almost certainly altered the entire trajectory of the country all the way up into the present. It is a very thin line between the relative order we enjoy and the fringes of the ideological spectrum trying to alter political outcomes through targeted killings.

There's a guy on Mount Rushmore because of a political assassination. Back in 2014, when people were discussing the First World War Centennial, I proposed the most important person of the 20th Century was Gavrillo Princip, who assassinated Archduke Ferdinand.

You're correct, the assassination of RFK significantly changed American history, but not in any way that Sirhan Sirhan wanted concerning American-Israeli foreign policy. Gavrillo Princip's objective was not the fall of the Russian Empire, Serbia's greatest protector and benefactor. Leon Czolgosz, McKinley's anarchist assassin, would have been horrified at how the country rallied around Roosevelt's muscular sense of American nationalism. And even if John Hinckley had been successful in his assassination attempt, it would not have benefited his relationship with Jodie Foster. (It could be argued that Jodie Foster's delay in coming out of the closet also changed the course of American History!)

The thing about political assassinations is that they invariably have unintended consequences far beyond the act itself.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

EAllusion wrote:The frightening thing is assassination is an effective political tool.

other than the obvious result of "he is dead" - effective to what end?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

subgenius wrote:
EAllusion wrote:The frightening thing is assassination is an effective political tool.

other than the obvious result of "he is dead" - effective to what end?

Oh, why don't you guess?

It might have to do with removing leaders who seem likely to accomplish things that the killer dislikes ... imagine, for instance, a successful assassination of Robert E. Lee early in the civil war..
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

Republicans just found out that Liberals can have guns too.
SEE https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/4d ... 21dbb1.jpg
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Some Schmo wrote:There seems to be two opposing social wills going on right now: one toward a strengthening of American unity, and another toward a 21st century civil war (or perhaps more accurately, a war on civility).

It's hard to know which one can prevail in this climate, but I suppose I'm seeing more positive energy coming from the bulk of people than the fringe nuts whose crap we read on the internet.

There's no way we're going to devolve into civil war. No way. We're way too pampered, well fed, entertained, and interconnected to turn into Syria. No one really wants that. I think fringe elements wouldn't mind seeing political assassinations, but who's going to do it? Hardly anyone wants to pay the price for their political beliefs because we're comfortable. I suppose a few people here and there with nothing to lose and no desire to live at the bottom of the socioeconomic scale might do it (like the recent Liberal murderer who looks like he's from the Big Lebowski), but large scale warfare? Neh.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

I agree. OTOH I can not say it could never happen here. We never know when that spark is lit until it is too late. The assassination of an archduke started WW1 and completely rewrote the map of Europe.