Now for something entirely different.

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Re: Now for something entirely different.

Post by _Gunnar »

Chap wrote:They sometimes ask whether this is really necessary, and whether it is a good idea for this practice to continue. End of.

Which practice? Mentioning the good looks of a talented woman, or not mentioning the good looks of a talented man, or doing so only when it is a woman?
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

Maxine Waters wrote:
Wow, Gunnar so much for your Lib membership....you Ole sexist dog

And he praised the physical appearance of a Nordic woman without mentioning a woman of color with equal or higher praise. This makes him a racist as well.

Not so! I also find Jayna Brown (for example) to be beautiful (especially her gorgeous smile), as well as being marvelously talented. This is true also of a quite a number of black female singers that I love to listen to. Very few singers (if any) of whatever race are the equal of Sissel, however. And this is not just because she happens to a beautiful Nordic White woman.

ETA: I don't think Sissel is beautiful only because of her looks. That should have been obvious from my OP. It is the whole package, including her beautiful voice and talent, her intelligence and her kind, honest and charitable personality. The more I learn about her, the more impressed I am with her. The same is true of Jayna Brown. She is a sweet, adorable and humble young lady whom anyone would value as a good friend. This, even more than her physical attributes, is why I regard her as beautiful.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Leave. Gunnar. Alone.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

Quasimodo wrote:
Choyo Chagas wrote:plus - if any of you like that guys of north
-- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRpzxKsSEZg --

grieg

One of my favorites! I read somewhere a very long time ago that Grieg composed it to sound as obnoxious as possible.

Mine too, as well as the entire Per Gynt suite. I also particularly enjoy Anitra's Dance and Åse's Død from the same suite. The latter is one of the pieces of music that often brings tears to my eyes when I hear it because I know its significance in the story of Per Gynt. I even learned to play it on the piano. Åse was Per Gynt's deeply disappointed mother who sorrowed greatly at Per's dissolute and self-destructive life.
He goes to say farewell to his mother and finds her dying in the bed where he had slept as a little boy--where he and she once played that the bed was a sleigh and sped in fancy to "the Castle West of the Moon and the Castle East of the Sun." Peer Gynt takes his mother in his arms and begins to tell her a fairy story to calm her fears. He tells her that the King is giving a feast in the castle--that indeed she is invited; that the ringing in her ears is only the sound of the sleighbells, the rushing noise is the wind in the pines, and the light she sees from afar comes from the King's palace. He reports that they are welcomed with greatest honor, with cakes and wine, and he entreats her to the care of St. Peter. Then he closes her dead eyes, saying, "Ay, ay, now the journey's done ... For all my days I thank you, for your beatings and your lullabies." He presses his cheek against her mouth. "There, that was the driver's fare," he murmurs
Last edited by Guest on Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

― Harlan Ellison
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

moksha wrote:
Gunnar wrote:However, with a voice and musical talent like hers I would be madly in love with her no matter what she looked like! Jeg elsker henne!

Fellow Norwegian Kurt Nielson has a golden voice. Would you give him a tumble?

I like that Sissel also has a beautiful singing voice for non-operatic songs.

Yes, her versatility is one of her most impressive attributes.

Kurt Nilson is impressive too, but not in the same league as Sissel or Josh Groban. He is pretty good looking too, though. :wink:

― Harlan Ellison
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

Gunnar wrote:
a woman of color...

Jayna Brown

I see what you did there. :smile:
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

Gunnar wrote:
a woman of color...

Jayna Brown

canpakes wrote:I see what you did there. :smile:

:biggrin:

― Harlan Ellison
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Gunnar wrote:
Chap wrote:They sometimes ask whether this is really necessary, and whether it is a good idea for this practice to continue. End of.

Which practice? Mentioning the good looks of a talented woman, or not mentioning the good looks of a talented man, or doing so only when it is a woman?

The one I underlined.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

Chap wrote:The one I underlined

Thanks for your answer. That's what I thought you meant. :smile:

― Harlan Ellison
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Choyo Chagas wrote:plus - if any of you like that guys of north
-- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRpzxKsSEZg --

grieg

This would make for some excellent prelude music at General Conference.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace