Why Dems Lost to a Reality TV Star

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Re: Why Democrats Lost to a Reality TV Star

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

Some Schmo wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:To be honest I think it was a thousand little things that probably added up, and the Right Wing Media Machine did a good job with shifting blame to the Left.

I mean, this seems to be the crux of the argument: lots of things contributed to the election of Drumpf vs Hillary was just that bad.

I imagine you'd need a grasp of the world that exceeds that of a 4 year old to recognize there aren't simple sound bite answers to the question of why America elected a clown. I'm surprised ME hasn't started shouting Benghazi! as maniacally as he screams Hillary sucks!

Uh. You should see my Facebook feed. I can't even...

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Maxine Waters
_Emeritus

Post by _Maxine Waters »

If you want to lock down the border because of immigration costs and security you're a racist.

I've lived that truth for over 10 years on this board.
“There were mothers who took this [Rodney King LA riots] as an opportunity to take some milk, to take some bread, to take some shoes ... They are not crooks.”

This liberal would be about socializing … uh, umm. … Would be about, basically, taking over, and the government running all of your companies.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Maxine Waters wrote:
If you want to lock down the border because of immigration costs and security you're a racist.

I've lived that truth for over 10 years on this board.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wtf&rlz ... ure+ok+gif

All of them at the same time. Lol. Give me a break.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:To be honest I think it was a thousand little things that probably added up, and the Right Wing Media Machine did a good job with shifting blame to the Left. For example:

- Banning smokers from parks & bars.
- Banning soft drinks (I think the big ones in NY?)
- Calling homophobic those who don't think Gays should be married when civil unions do just fine.
- If you want to lock down the border because of immigration costs and security you're a racist.
- Ivory Tower Elitism
- White Heterosexual Male is an insult rather than a descriptor
- Dissent is hatespeech
- Hatespeech is Newspeak for a White Person's Non-Liberal Opinion
- Caitlyn Jenner is beautiful, not mentally ill
- Sadness and anxiety ought to receive treatment; transgenderism is normal and should be celebrated
- Bending over backward to defend the Koran and Muslims while taking a huge **** on Christians and the Bible
- Turning politics into a social agenda rather than fixing roads
- Worsened race and gender relations by making everyone who doesn't Virtue Signal a racist/sexist
- Allow and encourage riots as 'civil disobedience'
- Hold cops to the highest standards while career criminals are angels
- Lowered the flag to half mast for Whitney Houston
- NAFTA & TPP

So on and so forth. Whether or not there's any truth in the small sample of bullet points above is totally beside the point. That's the mindset that got Mr. Trump elected. Crying, whining, screaming, insulting, and shaming them bought us Democrats probably 10-20 years of regressions and potentially longer if the the Supreme Court swings hard Right.

"Calling them out" only reinforces their narrative. There should be a savvier way to swing them back to the side that actually has their fiscal interests at heart. We should certainly stop demonizing them during the political season, that's for sure.

- Doc

Sounds like we have our culture wars locked in, stereotypes and narratives combined in a sort of never-ending Kabuki dance of self-righteous extremes. Identity politics' rotten fruit.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Maksutov wrote:Sounds like we have our culture wars locked in, stereotypes and narratives combined in a sort of never-ending Kabuki dance of self-righteous extremes. Identity politics' rotten fruit.

We do. It reminds of when two stags lock horns during mating season. There's just no way shout down someone's virtue. It's impossible and entrenchment will occur.

That's why I think we should maintain focus on the GenX'ers, M's, and GenZ's. It's not even about buying them off with political favoritism, but speaking their language while disempowering the current voting bloc. If it were up to me I'd just turn the tables on the GOP, focus on government practicality, get away from my own identity politics, and focus on their absurdities and failures. It's a thin line between being clever and smug. So... That's something to gameplan.

Ultimately the best you can hope for under our system is the endless and perpetual swing of the political pendulum.

- Doc

_Brackite
_Emeritus

Post by _Brackite »

The CCC wrote:California has been reliably blue for just a few election cycles. You have to remember that Richard Nixon, and Ronald Reagan were Californian's.

California has also had a few other Republican Governors in the past. (I don' think that Richard Nixon was a Governor of California, but he was born in California.) Republicans George Deukmejian and Pete Wilson were Governors of California during the 80s and 90s. in my opinion, George Deukmejian was one of the best Governors that California has had.
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Re: Why Dems Lost to a Reality TV Star

Post by _Gunnar »

If all Republicans were like Deukmejian I might have remained a Republican.
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Re: Why Dems Lost to a Reality TV Star

Post by _Water Dog »

Last edited by Guest on Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Water Dog wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:This guy figured it out:

https://np.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/5 ... ?context=3

- Doc

yep, well, let it be known that for about five minutes there was some genuine introspection among democrats before they put the pedal down and set it to cruise control

Not gonna lie. Kinda freaked out you resurrected a thread from January.

- Doc

_Water Dog
_Emeritus

Post by _Water Dog »