It is currently Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
 Post subject: It's a PERFUME Christmas!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:05 pm 
Founder & Visionary

'Tis the season! As we're all well aware, Christmas will be upon us this week. Amid the hustle and bustle of filling all those lists--or pointing-and-clicking, if online shopping is more your thing--you've hopefully heard much delightful Christmas music along the way.

This Yuletide also marks the six-year anniversary of when the members of our favorite--and official--Japanese electro-pop act, "Perfume," made their triumphant return to the Tokyo Dome after a little over a three-year absence. (They have since returned once or twice and will perform there again this coming February.) The fact that it was Christmas wasn't lost on them, so they dressed appropriately for one segment and tossed gifts into the crowd whilst singing. (What exactly those gifts were, I still haven't figured out, but who's going to turn up his or her nose at a gift from these three?)

So, let's all allow Perfume to bring us even more Christmas spirit by soaking in the joy and festivities encapsulated in the following YouTube video!

By way of trivia, this particular concert gave us quite a few videos from the original lists of this thread. I counted no less than six--yes, SIX--different costumes they wore during its course, meaning they underwent costume changes a full five times during the show itself. What a pain! But at the same time, what dedication to their craft! If the above link got you at all fired up for more, here's a rewind to the epic start of that concert. When I say "epic," you'll see what I mean:

--Analytics, 09-11-2019

Post subject: Re: Meet PERFUME, MormonDiscussions.com's official Japanese
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:36 am 
Founder & Visionary

--Analytics, 09-11-2019

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:36 am 
Founder & Visionary

Dear Perfumaniacs,

Merry Christmas to you all! V Magazine ran a very complimentary story on our favorite J-Pop group, Perfume. I'm guessing it's in the "gonzo journalism" variety, because the author is telling us her experience in and around the band. It includes a slideshow featuring not only the members but the fans in line as well. Enjoy:

--Analytics, 09-11-2019

Post subject: ATTENTION PERFUME HATERS: Read this! (you too, Some_Schmo)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:33 am 
Founder & Visionary

Dear haters,

In spite of my best efforts, some of you have rebelled and chosen to walk down the dark and joyless path of hating on Perfume, the official Japanese electro-pop group of MormonDiscussions.com. This is apparently because you only glanced at the surface and falsely concluded that they were nothing more than a teeny-bopper, bubble-gum outfit.

Well, guess what? You're about to be proven wrong. Beginning last year, they began performing, uh, performances titled "Reframe." These weren't typical concerts per se but were expositions that showcased the darker, edgier, and more artistic side of Perfume. Rather than being performed in front of legions of adoring fans, they took place in modest theaters in front of the hoity-toity, artsy-fartsy crowds. The PBS-style audiences, if you will.

The main thrust was/is to seamlessly fuse their dance and song prowess with the most cutting-edge technology in existence to create one great whole; even the physical stage itself becomes part of the show. So successful was the idea that they revived it in 2019 as well.

So, purge your mind of your baseless prejudices and feast your eyes on what amounts to Perfume for adults, then see if you don't reconsider your former, incorrect anti-Perfume biases. It's like a ballet of three infused with next-generation technology:

If you're not willing to watch the entire hour and 15 minute performance, then I recommend fast-forwarding to the 52:10 mark, wherein they cleverly utilize multi-angle intersecting lasers to create "floating faeries" of light that follow their hands during the song. My jaw dropped when I beheld the effect.

Hopefully this will finally prove to you, at long last, that there's a multi-dimensional depth to the entire Perfume experience at which you didn't look closely enough to notice. Truly, our three performers are more than up to the task.

But if that's not enough, fast-forward again to the 71:33 spot. It proves that there's much more depth to this musical group than you ever thought to give them credit for.

--Analytics, 09-11-2019

Post subject: Re: ATTENTION PERFUME HATERS: Read this! (you too, Some_Sc
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:58 am 
God

Shades, it's not like I'm going out of my way to dislike them. I don't hate them on purpose to spite you. I could no more force myself to like them than I could force myself to believe in a god, or enjoy any of the Real Housewives series.

In other words, I'm just not into loud, shallow ____. Sorry man.

And to save you from asking, yes, I checked out some of the video, including the lighting effect you talked about. I can totally imagine myself at that show thinking, "How much longer? Why did I let Shades drag me here? I could be watching a Pacino film or something right now..."

I'll say, I'm glad you derive enjoyment from them. That's great. Unfortunately, I don't get the same pleasure from it. Some people just enjoy pain more than others, that's all. It's not that big a deal.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:14 pm 
Founder & Visionary

Well, you gave it the ol' college try, so for that I must be grateful.

Thank you for at least giving it a chance. What can I say; for some reason I simply value your opinion too much.

--Analytics, 09-11-2019

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:36 pm 
God

Dr. Shades wrote:
Thank you for at least giving it a chance. What can I say; for some reason I simply value your opinion too much.

Crazy! Like they say, opinions are like assholes: everyone's got one.

But thanks. That's nice of you to say.

And I really meant it when I said I'm glad they give you pleasure, and I'm glad you've enlisted a few more fans around here. It reinforces the idea that there's something for everyone.

There's so much out there a person can find to distract themselves. You really have to be judicious about how you spend your entertainment budget (your time budget, not financial - your attention, I guess I'm getting at). Every decision represents an opportunity cost/risk against something better.

And let me tell you something: my time is far more valuable to me than money these days, and that disparity only increases with age. So, ya know... I find myself returning to the kinds of things that are tried and true for me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:40 am 
Founder & Visionary

--Analytics, 09-11-2019

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:41 am 
Founder & Visionary

Disney Japan's streaming service has created a special wherein Perfume sings covers of several Disney classics. I didn't know this until just now, but apparently the special also includes Perfume performing some of their own material as well.

Several posts above this one I explained their song "Challenger" and posted a music-only link to it. Here are our favorite ladies performing the song under the auspices of Disney itself, with the commensurate production values, choreography, costuming, and radiant smiles:

Perfume - Challenger

--Analytics, 09-11-2019

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:11 pm 
Founder & Visionary

--Analytics, 09-11-2019

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:12 pm 
Founder & Visionary

Remember Kawayuka (real name "Yuka Kawashima"), whom we discussed before, the elusive original member of Perfume who voluntarily dropped out between six months and a year after their formation and who was replaced by Nocchi?

Well, two days ago--on A-chan's birthday and on the day of their Nagoya Dome concert--she got married. Interestingly, she still goes by the stage name "Kawayuka."

Here's her tweet regarding her marriage, along with two photos therefrom:

https://twitter.com/kawayuka1105/status ... 8673901570

For trivia's sake, here's a video of her when she was 11 or 12, along with the other two (still-extant) members of the group, introducing themselves, followed by a clip of them performing in the "Japan Volume 7 Dance Delight" show / extravaganza / contest / whatever, also on twitter:

https://twitter.com/XMbHWFpbX/status/12 ... 53280?s=19

--Analytics, 09-11-2019

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19