Deleted

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Bret Ripley
_Emeritus

Re: Deleted

Post by _Bret Ripley »

Ceeboo wrote::lol:

-... .- ... - .- .-. -.. :p
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

OMG !

It was 40+ years ago, when I last time practiced this thing!

I had a girlfriend, working for the army (anti-aircraft system, my home subsystem...). She has taught me the Morse --- among others.
I was able to send 50 CPM, and receive 80 CPM for letters, 70 for numbers.
She and her colleagues were sitting before a typewriter, and listened 120 CPM numbers, numbers, numbers, 8 hour a day. Meantime, not dismissed the data flow, they set back the headphone a little and talked about family, mode, everything.

Now, I don't remember her family name, and some of the codes... (OK, this is an exaggeration, I have her name.)

A few times I had to whistle the written code to rememorate it. They are impressed upon my mind as sounds.
There is a Morse key somewhere in our vault; I don't think I could use it.
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

ludwigm wrote:Now, I don't remember her family name, and some of the codes... (OK, this is an exaggeration, I have her name.)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Ceeboo wrote::lol:

-... .- ... - .- .-. -.. :p

(nothing personal, if I may ask)
So there I was, commander of a ghost ship, or almost: I still had a radiotelegraph operator and a second engineer. Never mind that the operator was stinko from breakfast on. Not altogether gone: whether he was a sipper or he had a cast-iron stomach, the fact is he never stopped bustling, especially when we were weightless (which was most of the time, not counting a few minor course corrections). But the stuff was in his eyes, in his brain, so that every order, every errand, had to be checked and rechecked. I had fantasies of getting even the moment we touched down—because how could I cripple him up there? Sober, he was a typical rat, gray, sneaky, always unwashed, with a charming habit of calling certain people by the worse obscenities during mess. In Morse. That’s right, in Morse, tapping it out on the table with his finger and almost triggering a few fistfights in the process (naturally, all were fluent in Morse), claiming it was a nervous tic the moment he was cornered. When I told him to keep his elbows at his sides, he’d tap with his foot or his fork—the guy was a real artist.

From "MORE TALES OF PIRX THE PILOT" by Stanislaw Lem.
PIRX’S TALE - Translated by Louis Iribarne with the assistance of Magdalena Majcherczyk

You can read the whole story --- it is worth to read as all the works I recommend :mrgreen: --- here.
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei