Which Operating System do you use?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.

Which Operating System do you use?

Total votes: 0

_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Re: Which Operating System do you use?

Post by _SteelHead »

Super star trek on a wyse terminal on the interwebz!
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

Bazooka wrote:
Quasimodo wrote:Right now I'm using both Windows seven and Mac OS X.

My first computer was an Osborn 1. It's still in my garage somewhere. You guys thought you were old...

Bazooka wrote:Isn't that an original Nephite Urim and Thummim?

One would need a really big hat.

Bazooka wrote:P.S. In terms of screen pixels, I'm guessing that one had 7...

Hey, that's a giant four inch screen.

No flat screens in those days. A portable computer with a large cathode ray tube would have weighed a hundred pounds. It was pulling my arm out of socket as it was... the good old days.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

I still write tight code.....
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

SteelHead wrote:I still write tight code.....

Good for you! I think it's becoming a lost art. I gave up on coding years ago (left it to smarter people).

I wonder if there is some advantage to tight code in these new phone apps?
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

In the DOS days, WordPerfect wrote much of their code in machine language.

Most of us can barely say, "Klaatu barada nikto".
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

moksha wrote:In the DOS days, WordPerfect wrote much of their code in machine language.

Most of us can barely say, "Klaatu barada nikto".

:lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VtcOCHePB4

_MeDotOrg
_Emeritus

Post by _MeDotOrg »

moksha wrote:In the DOS days, WordPerfect wrote much of their code in machine language.

WordPerfect 5.1 was some of my favorite software. I originally started with the AOS/VS (Data General) version.

That was the golden age of computer customer support. You would call a different phone number for Macros, Printer Drivers, etc., and the wait times were amazingly short. Customer support seemed to really know what they were doing.

One time I was having a problem with footnotes and formatting. I called technical support, and they were able to re-create the problem I was having. They patched me over to a change request department, and the bug was fixed in the next revision of software!

I heard that when WordPerfect introduced their Windows version and Microsoft Word was their competition, Word used a lot of 'undocumented system calls', hooks into the Windows operating system that were not made available to other software companies. It was around that time that there was some noise about splitting Microsoft into an operating system company and a software company. There wasn't much of a firewall between the two.

Microsoft did well with the integration between Word and Excel. WordPerfect and Lotus tried to counter, but they never integrated to the same degree.
"The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
"We've kept more promises than we've even made"
- Donald Trump
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land