Obama: Withholding Information Until After The Election

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Re: Obama: Withholding Information Until After The Election

Post by _canpakes »

These sorts of talking points always sound fairly sensible on the surface. But the devil is in the details, and the folks offering these talking points usually don't offer up details...

bcspace wrote:Solution? Make the economy more business friendly such that hiring from the existing population is incentivized and making taxes, fees, and regulations attractive enough such that they stop moving the work and investment overseas.

'Incentivized'? Got examples?
Reducing taxes will cause businesses to hire folks (at low wages)? Got examples? *
Are you proposing that taxes and fees are the greatest expense of a business? Got examples?

*http://aneconomicsense.com/2014/10/09/the-kansas-red-state-experiment-is-failing-drastic-tax-cuts-have-not-led-to-higher-employment-growth/ - see part C

bcspace wrote:And that is the role of government in economics, to encourage and incentivize, not punish and redistribute.

Doesn't 'encourage and incentivize' oftentimes involve some element of 'redistribution'..?
_Bach
_Emeritus

Post by _Bach »

Bret Ripley wrote:
bcspace wrote:-Obamacare (which continues to be an abject failure) premium rate hikes

Anecdotal, to be sure, but we just received a letter from our carrier (Regence) informing us that our small group plan's premium is set to decrease by just over 9% (.0914) in 2015. We normally see increases of anywhere between 3% to 8%, so a 9% decrease means an unexpected savings of between 12% and 17%. The plan is being tweaked here and there, but so far the only changes we've been notified of are all upgrades in coverage. Deductibles, copays, coinsurance, and maximum out-of-pocket all remain at the same levels. I suppose they could still narrow their list of In-Network Providers, but that remains to be seen.

Thanks for brinig this up. I know too well the folks at Regence with a terminal I have there. I doubt your numbers of savings as I've negotiated a new contract in southern Utah. But it may be possible for one reason - they dumped Medicare Coverage:

http://www.thespectrum.com/story/news/l ... /16831577/

I doubt anyone here can understand this until the have employees to care about - but this is the "quicksand" of Obamacare!
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

Bach wrote:
Thanks for brinig this up. I know too well the folks at Regence with a terminal I have there. I doubt your numbers of savings as I've negotiated a new contract in southern Utah. But it may be possible for one reason - they dumped Medicare Coverage:

They dumped a Medicare Advantage plan.
_EAllusion
_Emeritus

Post by _EAllusion »

canpakes wrote:
Bach wrote:

They dumped a Medicare Advantage plan.

Yeah, but how many servants do you employ on your yacht to, you know, be a noble job-creator? I want to know if you are really qualified to comment on this.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

EAllusion wrote:Yeah, but how many servants do you employ on your yacht to, you know, be a noble job-creator? I want to know if you are really qualified to comment on this.

No worries, then. My personal yacht has a full complement of terribly underpaid staff.