It is currently Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Good Stories and Music?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:40 pm 
God

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:27 am
Posts: 1088
I've been wanting to collect some good moral stories - maybe from church magazines but not necessarily. Mostly for my kids. Also, I like uplifting or thought-provoking music that's not too cheesy.

Anybody have suggestions?

I've been going through a big book of virtues, and I like Matthew West's style of music but I don't share all his beliefs.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Good Stories and Music?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:32 pm 
Bell Ringer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:11 pm
Posts: 11780
Location: Notre-Dame de Paris (bell tower)
Here's a nice, peaceful song that speaks to the hopes of the oppressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLzXIIyqtB0#t=21

I'm sure it's just what you are looking for.

_________________
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Good Stories and Music?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:46 pm 
God

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:49 am
Posts: 4518
I like this one though I do not share the beliefs: http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mag ... ACC83A62D8


Last edited by LittleNipper on Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Good Stories and Music?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:07 pm 
God

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:27 am
Posts: 1088
Littlenipper,
I'm with you in not believing same but the video is so cute!

Quasimotoruni,
They don't look all that happy, but looks can be deceiving.
I bet you'd be fun at a party... No matter what the topic, you'll find a way to bring up your favorite sexual substitutes. Maybe you should start your own thread about your favorites and why they're so favorite. :)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Good Stories and Music?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:56 pm 
Bell Ringer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:11 pm
Posts: 11780
Location: Notre-Dame de Paris (bell tower)
Amore wrote:
Quasimotoruni,
They don't look all that happy, but looks can be deceiving.
I bet you'd be fun at a party... No matter what the topic, you'll find a way to bring up your favorite sexual substitutes. Maybe you should start your own thread about your favorites and why they're so favorite. :)


It's not about sex for me (as it is you). It's just about peoples rights.

_________________
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Good Stories and Music?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:12 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:42 pm
Posts: 21484
Location: Koloburbia
Three good stories with the moral punch you are looking for are found in Three Tales (Trois Contes) by Gustave Flaubert. My favorite of the three is The Legend of Saint Julian the Hospitalier.

In the tale A Simple Heart, the Holy Ghost takes the form of a pet parrot. If you are a confirmed Conservative you might ask, "why not the form of an American eagle"? Well, the answer is simple: Flaubert was French.

_________________
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Good Stories and Music?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:11 am 
God

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:49 am
Posts: 4518
Quasimodo wrote:
Amore wrote:
Quasimotoruni,
They don't look all that happy, but looks can be deceiving.
I bet you'd be fun at a party... No matter what the topic, you'll find a way to bring up your favorite sexual substitutes. Maybe you should start your own thread about your favorites and why they're so favorite. :)


It's not about sex for me (as it is you). It's just about peoples rights.

The insane certainly have rights, and yet that doesn't make their actions any less disturbing or something to encourage.


Last edited by LittleNipper on Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Good Stories and Music?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:46 am 
God
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 7:40 pm
Posts: 8243
Location: What does the fox say?
King'S College Choir - Samuel Barber - Agnus Dei: http://youtu.be/mWgjwTc3PUw

_________________
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Good Stories and Music?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:10 am 
tired, less active investigator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 10159
Location: Hungary
LittleNipper wrote:
anything
Then "Last edited by LittleNipper"

Does this man know what does he want to say?

_________________
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Good Stories and Music?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:35 am 
God

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:49 am
Posts: 4518
ludwigm wrote:
LittleNipper wrote:
anything
Then "Last edited by LittleNipper"

Does this man know what does he want to say?


I believe that you wanted to say the following: "Does this man know what he wants to say?"

Now, you may wish to go back and edit your mistake............ :rolleyes: :wink: :biggrin: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Good Stories and Music?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:24 am 
tired, less active investigator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 10159
Location: Hungary
LittleNipper wrote:
anything
ludwigm wrote:
Then "Last edited by LittleNipper"

Does this man know what does he want to say?
LittleNipper wrote:
I believe that you wanted to say the following: "Does this man know what he wants to say?"

Now, you may wish to go back and edit your mistake............ :rolleyes: :wink: :biggrin: :lol:

OK, I take up the gauntlet.

1. I rarely edit my comments. When I do, I explain it, why.

2. English suffixes (especially the one for third person singular "s" ?) a poor collection compared to OTHER languages
Do you speak any language other than English?............ :rolleyes: :wink: :biggrin: :lol:
.


I am here as a nonenglish. (should I write as non English, or non-English or NonEnglish or Nonenglish?

_________________
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Good Stories and Music?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:22 am 
Bell Ringer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:11 pm
Posts: 11780
Location: Notre-Dame de Paris (bell tower)
LittleNipper wrote:

The insane certainly have rights, and yet that doesn't make their actions any less disturbing or something to encourage.


Being gay is not insanity. Being bigoted might be, though.

_________________
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Good Stories and Music?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:09 pm 
God

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:49 am
Posts: 4518
ludwigm wrote:
LittleNipper wrote:
anything
ludwigm wrote:
Then "Last edited by LittleNipper"

Does this man know what does he want to say?
LittleNipper wrote:
I believe that you wanted to say the following: "Does this man know what he wants to say?"

Now, you may wish to go back and edit your mistake............ :rolleyes: :wink: :biggrin: :lol:

OK, I take up the gauntlet.

1. I rarely edit my comments. When I do, I explain it, why.

2. English suffixes (especially the one for third person singular "s" ?) a poor collection compared to OTHER languages
Do you speak any language other than English?............ :rolleyes: :wink: :biggrin: :lol:
.


I am here as a nonenglish. (should I write as non English, or non-English or NonEnglish or Nonenglish?

I really don't care if anyone edits their own views --- English or Not. I trust in God's perfection and not in that of humans. I had both French and Spanish. I do not practice either. It does seem to be a trait among some individuals, that when they feel threatened or unable to come to grips with views contrary to their own, they proceed to nitpick spelling, grammar, etc. Their point seems to be, if a person makes an error, he must be stupid and nothing he says is of any value. I do not subscribe to this logic, but sometimes I may bring it to someone's attention who has been dishing it out. I find that they usually do not take it very well --- no matter how lightly intended.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Good Stories and Music?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:16 pm 
God
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:50 am
Posts: 12709
Location: Your mother's purse
Quasimodo wrote:

It's not about sex for me (as it is you). It's just about peoples rights.

why do you believe, or at least think, that sex is a right?

_________________
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Good Stories and Music?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:36 pm 
God

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:49 am
Posts: 4518
Quasimodo wrote:
LittleNipper wrote:

The insane certainly have rights, and yet that doesn't make their actions any less disturbing or something to encourage.


Being gay is not insanity. Being bigoted might be, though.


A bigot never thinks things through, but jumps on the most popular bandwagon available to suit himself.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Good Stories and Music?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:06 pm 
God

Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:49 am
Posts: 4518
Since Halloween is fast approaching I figured that this might be somehow fitting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9zkmANRZss

Or perhaps this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7P-sz4m_4s


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Good Stories and Music?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:48 pm 
Bell Ringer
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:11 pm
Posts: 11780
Location: Notre-Dame de Paris (bell tower)
subgenius wrote:
Quasimodo wrote:

It's not about sex for me (as it is you). It's just about peoples rights.

why do you believe, or at least think, that sex is a right?


It's a basic human need. As long as you have an agreeable partner, why shouldn't it be a right?

Of course, this might be something you should be discussing with your wife rather than on this board.

_________________
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Good Stories and Music?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:58 pm 
tired, less active investigator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 10159
Location: Hungary
Quasimodo wrote:
discussing with your wife

One experiment is worth hundred discussions.

_________________
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Good Stories and Music?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:02 am 
God

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:27 am
Posts: 1088
LittleNipper wrote:
Since Halloween is fast approaching I figured that this might be somehow fitting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9zkmANRZss

Or perhaps this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7P-sz4m_4s
Thanks, LittleNipper. :)
I'm probably taking it a little too deep, but that reminded me of a analogy of shadows...

"Plato has Socrates describe a gathering of people who have lived chained to the wall of a cave all of their lives, facing a blank wall. The people watch shadows projected on the wall by things passing in front of a fire behind them, and begin to designate names to these shadows. The shadows are as close as the prisoners get to viewing reality. He then explains how the philosopher is like a prisoner who is freed from the cave and comes to understand that the shadows on the wall do not make up reality at all, as he can perceive the true form of reality rather than the mere shadows seen by the prisoners."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory_of_the_Cave

subgenius wrote:
Quasimodo wrote:

It's not about sex for me (as it is you). It's just about peoples rights.

why do you believe, or at least think, that sex is a right?
My guess is homosexual brainwashing.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Good Stories and Music?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:07 am 
God

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:27 am
Posts: 1088
moksha wrote:
Three good stories with the moral punch you are looking for are found in Three Tales (Trois Contes) by Gustave Flaubert. My favorite of the three is The Legend of Saint Julian the Hospitalier.

In the tale A Simple Heart, the Holy Ghost takes the form of a pet parrot. If you are a confirmed Conservative you might ask, "why not the form of an American eagle"? Well, the answer is simple: Flaubert was French.

I briefly looked into them and they look good, thanks for the suggestion, Moksha. :smile:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Good Stories and Music?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:11 am 
God

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:27 am
Posts: 1088
SteelHead wrote:
King'S College Choir - Samuel Barber - Agnus Dei: http://youtu.be/mWgjwTc3PUw

Beautiful! It doesn't matter what they're saying, angelic voices! Thanks. :smile:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Revival Theme By Brandon Designs By B.Design-Studio © 2007-2008 Brandon
Revival Theme Based off SubLite By Echo © 2007-2008 Echo
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group