The Rise of Disability: What is the Solution?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Re: The Rise of Disability: What is the Solution?

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Chap wrote:
ajax18 wrote:The common denominator is not race. Both of these groups are liberal democrat voters.

So it's not race then ... it's being poor. What is it about America that makes most low-income people become so unscrupulous and vote Democrat, do you think?

Just for fun...

The county with the lowest income per capita is Wheeler County, GA. The majority of the population is white, and the county has voted Republican since Bush Sr.

Next up is Ziebach County, SD. The majority of this county is Native Americans, with white Americans coming in second. Black and Hispanic make up 3.3% of the population, combined. Who’d they vote for president this last go-around? Trump.

In number 3 for poorest counties in the US, we have Union County, Florida. Again, majority is white. Hispanics make up about 3% of the population. Over 80% of the residents voted for Trump.

Next in the list is Bledsoe County, TN. A whopping 94.44% white. Hispanic population? A smidgeon over 1%. Who'd they vote for as president? Once again, overwhelmingly for Trump.

Number 5 in the list of poorest counties is Telfair County, GA. Surprisingly, this county has a majority white population as well. Rascally Democrats? Nope. Voting consistently Republican since Dubya.

If a feller didn't know any better, he might get the impression that maybe not all the woes can be laid at the feet of brown people and Democrats.

As an aside, the per capita income average of these locations is below what would be needed to qualify for things like SNAP. So, it's a pretty good bet that these white Republican counties are generously partaking of entitlement programs.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_AmyJo
_Emeritus

Post by _AmyJo »

It's a safety net for those who really need it.

I hope to keep working until I'm 70 at 'something.' So I can maximize my SS earnings since they're predicted to run out by 2035 and payees will start receiving 25% less benefits around that time, according to actuarial studies I've seen.

By maximizing the earnings if I live long enough, then it will have been worth it to wait. Although no one has a crystal ball. Depending on health too. If health fails, taking disability makes a heckuva lot more sense than waiting until 62. Because it pays the same as though you reached full retirement age.

It's kind of a crap call, really, when is the best time to take it. My dad took his early at age 62, believing his wife would outlive him by a longshot. She didn't. She died at 69. He lived to 82 and died from a negligent doctor, not from natural causes.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
If a feller didn't know any better, he might get the impression that maybe not all the woes can be laid at the feet of brown people and Democrats.

Maybe it's just the incessant snark, elitist arrogance, and patronizing quality of Democrats.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

ajax18 wrote:The common denominator is not race. Both of these groups are liberal democrat voters. Fraud will continue as America browns. Illegal immigrants will pull the same tricks as native born low income Democrats when they gain their citizenship. The US will continue to look and function more and more like a Latin American country.

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Just for fun...

The county with the lowest income per capita is Wheeler County, GA. The majority of the population is white, and the county has voted Republican since Bush Sr.

Next up is Ziebach County, SD. The majority of this county is Native Americans, with white Americans coming in second. Black and Hispanic make up 3.3% of the population, combined. Who’d they vote for president this last go-around? Trump.

In number 3 for poorest counties in the US, we have Union County, Florida. Again, majority is white. Hispanics make up about 3% of the population. Over 80% of the residents voted for Trump.

Next in the list is Bledsoe County, TN. A whopping 94.44% white. Hispanic population? A smidgeon over 1%. Who'd they vote for as president? Once again, overwhelmingly for Trump.

Number 5 in the list of poorest counties is Telfair County, GA. Surprisingly, this county has a majority white population as well. Rascally Democrats? Nope. Voting consistently Republican since Dubya.

As an aside, the per capita income average of these locations is below what would be needed to qualify for things like SNAP. So, it's a pretty good bet that these white Republican counties are generously partaking of entitlement programs..

subgenius wrote:Maybe it's just the incessant snark, elitist arrogance, and patronizing quality of Democrats.

Can someone help me to see some kind of connection between the post by subgenius, and the substantive post by Dr Seuss that precedes it?

No? Oh well, what did I expect?
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Chap wrote:Just for fun...

As an aside, the per capita income average of these locations is below what would be needed to qualify for things like SNAP. So, it's a pretty good bet that these white Republican counties are generously partaking of entitlement programs.

A good MAGAist would claim that the reason these white folks are poor is because of the dern furriners and welfare queens abusing and persecuting them. It's a conspiracy, I tells ya.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

By maximizing the earnings if I live long enough, then it will have been worth it to wait.

How long would you have to live after that to make it worth the wait?

If health fails, taking disability makes a heckuva lot more sense than waiting until 62. Because it pays the same as though you reached full retirement age.

Hence the rise of disability in America. I know a lawyer who got on own occupation disability when he was 53 because he has diabetes. (Don't a lot of working people?) He's getting $110k/yr and will never have to work another day in his life. This isn't just private insurance. Social security pays the first $1700/month of this. So what's he doing with his time? He's remodeling his house, playing in several tennis leagues, and working on his health. How is working until your 67 in any way a better retirement than this for anyone?

What makes me the most angry about social security is that it was sold to the American worker as a retirement program. Then the ruling political elite decided to make it a wealth redistribution disability cradle to grave program. How many years of work you put in to earn your "right" to retire is becoming irrelevant. It's pretty much a need based program at this point and that's not what it was sold as to the voter.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_Hawkeye
_Emeritus

Post by _Hawkeye »

Analytics wrote:
subgenius wrote:This has been the traditional fix, but alas...

I don't believe very many disabled Americans qualify for military service.

However, if we didn't engage in so many wars, we wouldn't have as many disabled veterans.

2.9 million Americans receive compensation for service-connected disabilities.

$85 billion goes towards veteran benefits.

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting that veteran benefits should be cut. I am suggesting that the military needs to be drastically reduced, so that there are fewer veterans and much fewer disabled veterans in the future.

You beat me to it.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

ajax18 wrote:I know a lawyer who got on own occupation disability when he was 53 because he has diabetes. (Don't a lot of working people?) He's getting $110k/yr and will never have to work another day in his life. This isn't just private insurance. Social security pays the first $1700/month of this. So what's he doing with his time? He's remodeling his house, playing in several tennis leagues, and working on his health.
I'll bet this guy came to the country a few years ago as an asylum seeker. The President keeps telling us how those guys are the cause of all of our problems.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Just saw this in Hawkeye's reply. Not going to look for the context in which it was posted.

Analytics wrote:I don't believe very many disabled Americans qualify for military service.

However, if we didn't engage in so many wars, we wouldn't have as many disabled veterans.

2.9 million Americans receive compensation for service-connected disabilities.

$85 billion goes towards veteran benefits.

Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting that veteran benefits should be cut. I am suggesting that the military needs to be drastically reduced, so that there are fewer veterans and much fewer disabled veterans in the future.

Analytics you do realize that service connected disabilities aren't the result of combat, don't you? You realize that service connected disabilities and combat related disabilities are two different things, right?
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

subgenius wrote:
Doctor Steuss wrote:

Maybe it's just the incessant snark, elitist arrogance, and patronizing quality of Democrats.

That's a helluva villainous super power.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski