It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Romney bullying story really bugs me
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:02 pm 
God

One account of the incident I read quoted Pastor Romney as saying: "We simply can't allow him to look like that." I think it was a priesthood exercise to get the kid to conform to church standards....the missionary haircut.... of course, throwing the kid to the ground and pinning him down probably didn't do much for his white shirt. I suspect the story wouldn't amount to much of anything if Romney and his handlers didn't make such as big deal of presenting him as so squeaky clean.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:34 pm 
Founder & Visionary

Bond James Bond wrote:
Dr. Shades wrote:
My former mission president was in his stake. He relates that Mitt was nearby the house of one of the families that he (Mitt) home taught. Well, the house had caught on fire and the fire department hadn't arrived yet. Mitt ran into the house, going from room to room (as much as possible) to be sure that all the occupants were either absent or had exited the house, then ran downstairs and saved a family heirloom before finally running out of the burning house himself.

For real? Because I just googled it and am pretty sure this story would have popped up.

All I know is what I was told. Your mileage may vary.

--James, 11/21/2014

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:36 pm 
God

All this Mitt Romney "bullying" thing happened before Mitt Romney took out his endowments in the temple. Once Mitt Romney took out his endowments in the temple, he became clean and pure from all his previous sins. Then Mitt Romney ended up getting sealed in the temple to his wife, which is the holiest of all ordinances.

- Jacob 6:12

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:03 pm 
God

Brackite wrote:
Once Mitt Romney took out his endowments in the temple, he became clean and pure from all his previous sins..

First I've heard of this concept. Baptism, yes. But endowment? Nobody told me that when I went through it, and I don't recall anything in the ceremony that mentions it.

"We conservatives have an uncanny ability to know what Ronald Reagan would do at any given time. We're talking about hypothetical Super Reagan, the man who never raised taxes or tripled the deficit, and who knocked down the Berlin wall using his nut sack as a wrecking ball." - Stephen Colbert

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:49 pm 
God

Dr. Shades wrote:
My former mission president was in his stake. He relates that Mitt was nearby the house of one of the families that he (Mitt) home taught. Well, the house had caught on fire and the fire department hadn't arrived yet. Mitt ran into the house, going from room to room (as much as possible) to be sure that all the occupants were either absent or had exited the house, then ran downstairs and saved a family heirloom before finally running out of the burning house himself.

This story need to be trumpeted along with Mitt riding into office on the back of a white horse. It is certainly faith promoting. The liberal media must have deliberately excluded it, just like they did when Mitt saved the Earth from the Mole Men who were accidentally freed during the big dig in Boston.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:08 pm 
God

DarkHelmet wrote:
Were you a TBM at the time? I remember during the Clinton years he was the anti-Christ to every TBM I knew. If Satan ran against Clinton in 92/96, I think most TBMs would have voted for Satan.

Well, now, that raises the question of whether I'm a TBM now, doesn't it? If anything I was more a TBM back in 1996 than I am now, so if a TBM wouldn't vote for Clinton, people can't really argue that I'm a TBM now, can they?

"I have faith in God ... How do you get anything circular out of that?" Kevin Sim
"I think Bazooka is either just trying to annoy you by insisting you're using circular reasoning, or he doesn't understand what circular reasoning is." Chomsky

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:26 pm 
God

Brigham Morris Young (son of Brigham Young)
In drag as Italian opera diva "Madam Pattirini"
(circa 1901 photographic placard advertising "her" appearance
in the Sugar House Ward, Salt Lake City, Utah;
photo by C. R. Savage)

At least Mitt never tried to cut this guy's hair.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 5:24 am 
God

Not sure this really happened. The alleged victim (who is deceased) has sisters who claim no knowledge of the assault.

- VRDRC

Man is nothing else but that which he makes of himself.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:06 am 
God

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Not sure this really happened. The alleged victim (who is deceased) has sisters who claim no knowledge of the assault.

Even without my (admitted) bias, I would tend to believe multiple, separately interviewed witnesses/participants rather than a relative who was definitely nowhere near the alleged event.

I don't know about you, but my sisters don't have any idea what happened to me in the school hallways.

"We conservatives have an uncanny ability to know what Ronald Reagan would do at any given time. We're talking about hypothetical Super Reagan, the man who never raised taxes or tripled the deficit, and who knocked down the Berlin wall using his nut sack as a wrecking ball." - Stephen Colbert

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:23 am 
God

krose wrote:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

Even without my (admitted) bias, I would tend to believe multiple, separately interviewed witnesses/participants rather than a relative who was definitely nowhere near the alleged event.

I don't know about you, but my sisters don't have any idea what happened to me in the school hallways.

Sure. I also understand politics can make a lot of people insane. So... Who knows?

- VRDRC

Man is nothing else but that which he makes of himself.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:44 am 
Savior (resurrected)

http://www.salon.com/2012/05/11/yes_mitt_gets_worse/

"What’s giving the story legs isn’t merely the homophobic hair-cutting episode, which a lawyer friend of Romney’s termed “assault and battery,” not “hijinks.” It’s Romney’s callous reaction. His campaign first tried to shrug off the story with an insincere non-apology, but when the details of Horowitz’s tale got people’s attention – the “terrified” classmate John Lauber “with tears in his eyes” as Romney chopped off his hair with a scissor; the callow preppie leading a sight-impaired teacher into a set of closed doors – the candidate made his own statement. And what a statement it was."

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:17 am 
God

Quote:
But how does Obama's behavior excuse Mitt's?

I hold hopes that there is a special place in hell for bullies. Perhaps it's explains some things about who I am right now.

So why does this story about Mitt not bother me so much? Because every time I get up for work on Saturday and often times Sunday, and every time I read my paystubb, I'm reminded of who the bully is right now.

Captain, my religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me.
Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:50 am 
God

ajax18 wrote:
So why does this story about Mitt not bother me so much? Because every time I get up for work on Saturday and often times Sunday, and every time I read my paystubb, I'm reminded of who the bully is right now.

Ah, so your employer is a bully. You know, you're always complaining about how bad your job and your life are. Maybe you should consider a change in career. It can't be good for your health to work at a job you hate so much.

Still, personal issues aside, I don't see what it has to do with Romney's bullying story.