It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Romney's Latest Lies
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:12 pm 
God

The Amnesia Candidate

Just how stupid does Mitt Romney think we are? If you’ve been following his campaign from the beginning, that’s a question you have probably asked many times.

But the question was raised with particular force last week, when Mr. Romney tried to make a closed drywall factory in Ohio a symbol of the Obama administration’s economic failure. It was a symbol, all right — but not in the way he intended.

First of all, many reporters quickly noted a point that Mr. Romney somehow failed to mention: George W. Bush, not Barack Obama, was president when the factory in question was closed. Does the Romney campaign expect Americans to blame President Obama for his predecessor’s policy failure?

Yes, it does. Mr. Romney constantly talks about job losses under Mr. Obama. Yet all of the net job loss took place in the first few months of 2009, that is, before any of the new administration’s policies had time to take effect. So the Ohio speech was a perfect illustration of the way the Romney campaign is banking on amnesia, on the hope that voters don’t remember that Mr. Obama inherited an economy that was already in free fall.

How does the campaign deal with people who point out the awkward reality that all of the “Obama” job losses took place before any Obama policies had taken effect? The fallback argument — which was rolled out when reporters asked about the factory closure — is that even though Mr. Obama inherited a deeply troubled economy, he should have fixed it by now. That factory is still closed, said a Romney adviser, because of the failure of Obama policies “to really get this economy going again.”

Actually, that factory would probably still be closed even if the economy had done better — drywall is mainly used in new houses, and while the economy may be coming back, the Bush-era housing bubble isn’t.

But Mr. Romney’s poor choice of a factory for his photo-op aside, I guess accusing Mr. Obama of not doing enough to promote recovery is a better argument than blaming him for the effects of Bush policies. However, it’s not much better, since Mr. Romney is essentially advocating a return to those very same Bush policies. And he’s hoping that you don’t remember how badly those policies worked.

For the Bush era didn’t just end in catastrophe; it started off badly, too. Yes, Mr. Obama’s jobs record has been disappointing — but it has been unambiguously better than Mr. Bush’s over the comparable period of his administration.

This is especially true if you focus on private-sector jobs. Overall employment in the Obama years has been held back by mass layoffs of schoolteachers and other state and local government employees. But private-sector employment has recovered almost all the ground lost in the administration’s early months. That compares favorably with the Bush era: as of March 2004, private employment was still 2.4 million below its level when Mr. Bush took office.

Oh, and where have those mass layoffs of schoolteachers been taking place? Largely in states controlled by the G.O.P.: 70 percent of public job losses have been either in Texas or in states where Republicans recently took control.

Which brings me to another aspect of the amnesia campaign: Mr. Romney wants you to attribute all of the shortfalls in economic policy since 2009 (and some that happened in 2008) to the man in the White House, and forget both the role of Republican-controlled state governments and the fact that Mr. Obama has faced scorched-earth political opposition since his first day in office. Basically, the G.O.P. has blocked the administration’s efforts to the maximum extent possible, then turned around and blamed the administration for not doing enough.

So am I saying that Mr. Obama did everything he could, and that everything would have been fine if he hadn’t faced political opposition? By no means. Even given the political constraints, the administration did less than it could and should have in 2009, especially on housing. Furthermore, Mr. Obama was an active participant in Washington’s destructive “pivot” away from jobs to a focus on deficit reduction.

And the administration has suffered repeatedly from complacency — taking a few months of good news as an excuse to rest on its laurels rather than hammering home the need for more action. It did that in 2010, it did it in 2011, and to a certain extent it has been doing the same thing this year too. So there is a valid critique one can make of the administration’s handling of the economy.

But that’s not the critique Mr. Romney is making. Instead, he’s basically attacking Mr. Obama for not acting as if George Bush had been given a third term. Are the American people — and perhaps more to the point, the news media — forgetful enough for that attack to work? I guess we’ll find out.

Post subject: Re: Romney's Latest Lies
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:31 pm 
God

Romneys a Mormon and a Republican - the truth is superfluous to what both groups want you to believe.

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:30 pm 
God

A few of the lies I've heard from him in the last few days, including today:

- Obama promised to keep unemployment below 8%.

- Obama has been apologizing to the world for America and its success.

- His father grew up poor.

- Massachusetts health care is very different from the Affordable Care Act.

I would love to see some interviewer ask for detailed information when politicians make absurd claims. For example, when Mittens makes the stupid statement that 92% of the jobs lost since Obama took office are women, ask him what the specific policies were that caused these job losses.

"We conservatives have an uncanny ability to know what Ronald Reagan would do at any given time. We're talking about hypothetical Super Reagan, the man who never raised taxes or tripled the deficit, and who knocked down the Berlin wall using his nut sack as a wrecking ball." - Stephen Colbert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:31 pm 
God

krose wrote:

I would love to see some interviewer ask for detailed information when politicians make absurd claims. For example, when Mittens makes the stupid statement that 92% of the jobs lost since Obama took office are women, ask him what the specific policies were that caused these job losses.

Can you imagine his credibility on a worldwide stage if he got in as President? America would be a bit of a laughing stock after Romey gets the Michael Moore treatment...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:27 pm 
Sunbeam

Drifting wrote:
krose wrote:

Can you imagine his credibility on a worldwide stage if he got in as President? America would be a bit of a laughing stock after Romey gets the Michael Moore treatment...

You can't even spell Romney correctly. Who cares what you think!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:03 pm 
Holy Ghost

There is a video on Gawker, I think obtained by the mole showing Hannity and Romney chatting about horses, telepropters (thinks they are helpful, also not Fox (Faux) attack on Obam for doing the same.

Another incidence is Doocey misquoting Obama.
"On Thursday, Doocy presented Obama's remark about not being born with a silver spoon in his mouth as a an attack on Romney. The Fox News host asked Romney to respond to Obama allegedly saying: "Unlike some people, I wasn’t born with a silver spoon in my mouth." In reality, the president had said, "Somebody gave me an education. I wasn’t born with a silver spoon in my mouth." "

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/2 ... ?ref=media
How do they get away with it?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:07 pm 
God

Joyful wrote:

Now there's some trenchant commentary.

"We conservatives have an uncanny ability to know what Ronald Reagan would do at any given time. We're talking about hypothetical Super Reagan, the man who never raised taxes or tripled the deficit, and who knocked down the Berlin wall using his nut sack as a wrecking ball." - Stephen Colbert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:33 pm 
God

krose wrote:
Joyful wrote:

Krose fails to realize that if he spelled Romney correctly, he would be entitled to say anything else that came off the top of his head, when briefing Mitt on sound bites for media events.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:52 pm 
Has More Degrees Than Droopy

Location: Cassius University: Ho Chi Minh Professor of American Military History
aussieguy55 wrote:
There is a video on Gawker, I think obtained by the mole showing Hannity and Romney chatting about horses, telepropters (thinks they are helpful, also not Fox (Faux) attack on Obam for doing the same.

Another incidence is Doocey misquoting Obama.
"On Thursday, Doocy presented Obama's remark about not being born with a silver spoon in his mouth as a an attack on Romney. The Fox News host asked Romney to respond to Obama allegedly saying: "Unlike some people, I wasn’t born with a silver spoon in my mouth." In reality, the president had said, "Somebody gave me an education. I wasn’t born with a silver spoon in my mouth." "

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/2 ... ?ref=media
How do they get away with it?

Great video. The best part was when he talked about his and Anne's horses. He even pronounced "dressage" in the French way. He's obviously more "of the people" than Obama.

MASH quotes
I peeked in the back [of the Bible] Frank, the Devil did it.
I avoid church religiously.
This isn't one of my sermons, I expect you to listen.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:37 am 
God

Joyful wrote:

Thanc ewe four pointing out meye spelling misstake.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:48 am 
God

Quote:
Yes, it does. Mr. Romney constantly talks about job losses under Mr. Obama. Yet [b]all of the net job loss took place in the first few months of 2009, that is, before any of the new administration’s policies had time to take effect.

This is unbridled tendentious sophistry from one of the New York Time's resident intellectual hacks, Paul Krugman (and kindred spirit to Kevin Graham) that Goebbles would have relished in its brazen (and easily refuted) mendacity (Krugman has a long and sordid history as an intellectually unprincipled political shill, first for Bill Clinton, for the Democrat party generally, and now for Obama)

For an idea - just one small example - of the astounding intellectual bankruptcy of this individual, one may profit by taking a look at the following statements by this "economist":

Quote:
People on twitter might be joking, but in all seriousness, we would see a bigger boost in spending and hence economic growth if the earthquake had done more damage.

Quote:
World War II is the great natural experiment in the effects of large increases in government spending, and as such has always served as an important positive example for those of us who favor an activist approach to a depressed economy.”

Quote:
“If we discovered that, you know, space aliens were planning to attack and we needed a massive buildup to counter the space alien threat and really inflation and budget deficits took secondary place to that, this slump would be over in 18 months,” he said. “And then if we discovered, oops, we made a mistake, there aren’t any aliens, we’d be better”

Quote:
And yes, this does mean that the nuclear catastrophe could end up being expansionary, if not for Japan then at least for the world as a whole. If this sounds crazy, well, liquidity-trap economics is like that — remember, World War II ended the Great Depression.

Quote:
Nonetheless, we must ask about the economic aftershocks from Tuesday’s horror [the 9/11 attacks]. These aftershocks need not be major. Ghastly as it may seem to say this, the terror attack — like the original day of infamy [the bombing of Pearl Harbor], which brought an end to the Great Depression — could even do some economic good.

http://www.libertariannews.org/2011/08/ ... struction/

Henry Hazlitt disposed of the core leftist economic fallacy in play here in chapter 3 of his masterful Economics in One Lession:

Quote:
The Blessings of Destruction

So we have finished with the broken window. An elementary fallacy. Anybody, one would think, would be able to avoid it after a few moments’ thought. Yet the broken-window fallacy, under a hundred disguises, is the most persistent in the history of economics. It is more rampant now than at any time in the past. It is solemnly reaffirmed every day by great captains of industry, by chambers of commerce, by labor union leaders, by editorial writers and newspaper columnists and radio commentators, by learned statisticians using the most refined techniques, by professors of economics in our best universities.

In their various ways they all dilate upon the advantages of destruction. Though some of them would disdain to say that there are net benefits
in small acts of destruction, they see almost endless benefits in enormous acts of destruction. They tell us how much better off economically we all are in war than in peace. They see “miracles of production”
which it requires a war to achieve. And they see a postwar world made certainly prosperous by an enormous “accumulated” or “backedup” demand.

In Europe they joyously count the houses, the whole cities that have been leveled to the ground and that “will have to be replaced.” In America they count the houses that could not be built during the war, the nylon stockings that could not be supplied, the worn-out automobiles and tires, the obsolescent radios and refrigerators. They bring together formidable totals.

It is merely our old friend, the broken-window fallacy, in new clothing, and grown fat beyond recognition. This time it is supported by a whole bundle of related fallacies. It confuses need with demand. The more war destroys, the more it impoverishes, the greater is the postwar need. Indubitably. But need is not demand...As this is being written, in fact, printing money is the world’s biggest industry—if the product is measured in monetary terms. But the more money is turned out in this way, the more the value of any given unit of money falls. This falling value can be measured in rising prices of commodities. But as most people are so firmly in the habit of thinking of their wealth and income in terms of money, they consider themselves better off as these monetary totals rise, in spite of the fact that in terms of things they may have less and buy less. Most of the “good” economic results which people attribute to war are
really owing to wartime inflation. They could be produced just as well by an equivalent peacetime inflation.

The foundation of this entire sorry intellectual mess is, of course, the "broken window" economic fallacy:

Quote:
A young hoodlum, say, heaves a brick through the window of a baker’s shop. The shopkeeper runs out furious, but the boy is gone. A crowd gathers, and begins to stare with quiet satisfaction at the gaping
hole in the window and the shattered glass over the bread and pies.

After a while the crowd feels the need for philosophic reflection. And several of its members are almost certain to remind each other or the baker that, after all, the misfortune has its bright side. It will make
business for some glazier. As they begin to think of this they elaborate upon it. How much does a new plate glass window cost? Fifty dollars?

That will be quite a sum. After all, if windows were never broken, what would happen to the glass business? Then, of course, the thing is endless. The glazier will have $50 more to spend with other
merchants, and these in turn will have $50 more to spend with still other merchants, and so ad infinitum. The smashed window will go on providing money and employment in ever-widening circles. The logical
conclusion from all this would be, if the crowd drew it, that the little hoodlum who threw the brick, far from being a public menace, was a public benefactor.

Now let us take another look. The crowd is at least right in its first conclusion. This little act of vandalism will in the first instance mean more business for some glazier. The glazier will be no more unhappy to learn of the incident than an undertaker to learn of a death. But the shopkeeper will be out $50 that he was planning to spend for a new suit. Because he has had to replace a window, he will have to go without the suit (or some equivalent need or luxury). Instead of having a window and $50 he now has merely a window. Or, as he was planning to buy the suit that very afternoon, instead of having both a
window and a suit he must be content with the window and no suit.

If we think of him as a part of the community, the community has lost a new suit that might otherwise have come into being, and is just that much poorer.
The glazier’s gain of business, in short, is merely the tailor’s loss of business. No new “employment” has been added. The people in the crowd were thinking only of two parties to the transaction, the baker
and the glazier. They had forgotten the potential third party involved, the tailor. They forgot him precisely because he will not now enter the scene. They will see the new window in the next day or two. They will
never see the extra suit, precisely because it will never be made. They see only what is immediately visible to the eye

Much of our economy, and the world's economies, have been constructed on precisely very complex, sophisticated versions (backed by, as you might surmise, mathematical econometric models and computer projections) of the broken window fallacy, combined with Marxian and quasi-Marxian nostrum about "social justice." The 2008 collapse was but one episode in a long and growing "boom and bust" history of western economics the groundwork for the next of which was initiated even as the original collapse was underway.

Keep in mind as well that, while Bush bears some fault for the present crisis (as does the Republican congress he led), the original epicenter of the economic collapse - the sub-prime mortgage meltdown - was a long term Democratic party/left-wing activist created (think ACORN) debacle that reached all the way back to the Carter years (numerous "affordable housing" initiatives) that emanated from and included various congressional initiatives, HUD, the Justice Department, Fannie and Freddie, the CRA, and continual activist pressure from community organizing groups such as ACORN) and the Keynesian deficit spending and massive tax increases favored by Obama and his sycophants have (as they must) only made the situation much worse than it otherwise would have been - just as similar programs prolonged and deepened the Great Depression.

The housing meltdown was a government created artificial bubble that is even now, being re-inflated, along with a over 15 trillion debt, nearly six of which has been created in just 3 years.

Keep in mind too that no job created with either tax revenue or phantom fiat dollars represents real wealth creation. It does represent "job creation," but government financed job creation has nothing to do with economic growth. Its entirely a wealth shifting, wealth redistributing exercise in economic circularity, taking from Peter, given in to Paul in the form of a paycheck financed with money already extracted from the private sector somewhere else, and reinserted - after overhead, waste, fraud, and abuse within the bureaucracy, into the economy and to a worker in the form of a paycheck.

None of this "job creation" is actually net wealth creation, and can in any real way be understood to be involved in economic growth and expansion - what a declining economy actually requires.

In point of fact, since Obama has been in office, the economy has lost a net 3.5 million jobs, including at lest a million jobs in the construction sector alone. There have been some gains. Obama would like to take credit for a gain of 1.6 million primarily low wage service sector jobs (Heath Care & Social Assistance, Waste Services, Employment Services, Leisure & Hospitality, and retail) over a carefully cherry picked 19 month time frame, but these areas are not where most of the original job losses occurred, which were in the goods/commodities producing sectors of the economy, where most wealth is actually created, and in the high wage construction trades.

Those jobs are gone, for the present, and there is no way Obama can credit his policies for adding either to any of that job creation unless he can show a direct link between his stimulus bill and the paychecks those employees are receiving. And, if there is a direct link, let him claim that his policy has created that job, but let's not fool ourselves into believing that this represents economic growth or new net wealth creation, and is anything but wealth redistribution to someone here, at the expense of someone else there.

- President Ezra Taft Benson

I am so old that I can remember when most of the people promoting race hate were white.

- Thomas Sowell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:57 am 
God

Droopy wrote:
*far, far, too much...*

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:46 pm 
God

Kevin Graham wrote:
The Amnesia Candidate

Which brings me to another aspect of the amnesia campaign: Mr. Romney wants you to attribute all of the shortfalls in economic policy since 2009 (and some that happened in 2008) to the man in the White House, and forget both the role of Republican-controlled state governments and the fact that Mr. Obama has faced scorched-earth political opposition since his first day in office. Basically, the G.O.P. has blocked the administration’s efforts to the maximum extent possible, then turned around and blamed the administration for not doing enough.

President Barack Obama did indeed have a super majority of Democrats in the House of Representatives during his first two years of office. The Democrats had a filibuster-free Senate from September 25, 2009 until February 3, 2010. During that time, the Senate Passed the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA), also known as 'ObamaCare' by Party line vote. The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) ended up Passing the very heavily Democratic controlled House of Representatives in March of 2010, and then President Barack Obama ended up signing that bill into law. The Democrats still control the Senate, but they no longer have a filibuster-free Senate.

President Ronald Reagan Never had a majority of Republicans in the House of Representatives during his eight years of Presidency. The Republicans did have control of the Senate from 1980 to 1986, but they never had a filibuster-free Senate during that time.

President Bill Clinton had a majority of Democrats in the House of Representatives during his first two years of office. The Democrats controlled the Senate during Bill Clinton's first two years of office, but they did not have a filibuster-free Senate during any of that time. President Bill Clinton tried to get a stimulus package passed of his own back in 1993, but the Republicans filibustered that stimulus package, and it never got signed into law. However, President Barack Obama did indeed get his stimulus package signed into law.

Sources:

111th United States Congress:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/111th_Unit ... s_Congress

Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PPACA

G.O.P. Senators Prevail, Sinking Clinton's Economic Stimulus Bill:
http://www.nytimes.com/1993/04/22/us/go ... -bill.html

Remember Clinton's 1993 Stimulus Bill:
http://johnrlott.blogspot.com/2009/01/r ... -bill.html

Obama Signs Stimulus Into Law:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123487951033799545.html

- Jacob 6:12

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:49 pm 

Location: Cassius University: Ho Chi Minh Professor of American Military History
Brackite wrote:
Kevin Graham wrote:
The Amnesia Candidate

President Barack Obama did indeed have a super majority of Democrats in the House of Representatives during his first two years of office. The Democrats had a filibuster-free Senate from September 25, 2009 until February 3, 2010. During that time, the Senate Passed the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA), also known as 'ObamaCare' by Party line vote. The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) ended up Passing the very heavily Democratic controlled House of Representatives in March of 2010, and then President Barack Obama ended up signing that bill into law. The Democrats still control the Senate, but they no longer have a filibuster-free Senate.

President Ronald Reagan Never had a majority of Republicans in the House of Representatives during his eight years of Presidency. The Republicans did have control of the Senate from 1980 to 1986, but they never had a filibuster-free Senate during that time.

President Bill Clinton had a majority of Democrats in the House of Representatives during his first two years of office. The Democrats controlled the Senate during Bill Clinton's first two years of office, but they did not have a filibuster-free Senate during any of that time. President Bill Clinton tried to get a stimulus package passed of his own back in 1993, but the Republicans filibustered that stimulus package, and it never got signed into law. However, President Barack Obama did indeed get his stimulus package signed into law.

Sources:

111th United States Congress:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/111th_Unit ... s_Congress

Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PPACA

G.O.P. Senators Prevail, Sinking Clinton's Economic Stimulus Bill:
http://www.nytimes.com/1993/04/22/us/go ... -bill.html

Remember Clinton's 1993 Stimulus Bill: http://johnrlott.blogspot.com/2009/01/r ... -bill.html

Obama Signs Stimulus Into Law:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123487951033799545.html

The filibuster wasn't used/threatened every single time under Reagan or Clinton either. Frankly if the Republicans are going to filibuster I think they should actually have to do it. I want to see Mitch McConnell reading Moby Dick at 4 in the morning on CSPAN.

MASH quotes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:02 pm 
Sunbeam

krose wrote:
Joyful wrote:

Sorry, everybody makes typos. I just don't understand why people are determined to slander an innocent man?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:40 pm 

Joyful wrote:
Sorry, everybody makes typos. I just don't understand why people are determined to slander an innocent man?

I ask the same question about the assaults on Pres. Obama's character the past 3+ years.

MASH quotes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:00 pm 
God

Joyful wrote:

I'm not following. Are you saying that Drifting slandered Romney by misspelling his name?

And what do you mean by "innocent"?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:17 pm 
Sunbeam

Bond James Bond wrote:
Joyful wrote:

I ask the same question about the assaults on Pres. Obama's character the past 3+ years.

Does Obama have any credibility? Are you happy with the job he is doing? Does he have a birth certificate?

Mr. Obama has never stopped campaigning, regardless of broken promises, deliberate distractions, misappropriation of public funds and insurmountable debt. If he is re-elected, I can only imagine it will have been with the aid of voter fraud.

Yes, I question his character.

P.S. Your argument about Mitt Romney's character doesn't hold water. There are huge cracks. So come up for air, because I don't want to hear it!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:19 pm 
Sunbeam

krose wrote:
Joyful wrote:

I'm not following. Are you saying that Drifting slandered Romney by misspelling his name?

And what do you mean by "innocent"?

What I am referring to is the fact that he has not yet proven what kind of President he will be. Give him a chance.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:20 pm 
Sunbeam

You are putting words in my mouth....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:22 pm 

Joyful wrote:
Does Obama have any credibility?

Yes.

Quote:
Are you happy with the job he is doing?
Hit or miss. But I prefer his policies to those suggested by Romney.

Quote:
Does he have a birth certificate?
Yes.

Quote:
Mr. Obama has never stopped campaigning, regardless of broken promises, deliberate distractions, misappropriation of public funds and insurmountable debt. If he is re-elected, I can only imagine it will have been with the aid of voter fraud.
No politician ever stops campaigning. Mitt Romney's been campaigning for President for six years basically.

Misappropriation of public funds? How many billions were wasted in Iraq?

And where was the outrage about Debt under Reagan and the Bushes? Stop crying crocodile tears. (Most of that debt can be hung securely around Bush II's neck anyway.)

Voter fraud lol. You're a pip.

MASH quotes