It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Is this Theme "nice" enough, or is it too old?
It's perfect!  0%  [ 0 ]
It's a little old but good still.  0%  [ 0 ]
It's okay.  0%  [ 0 ]
It could be better.  0%  [ 0 ]
It sucks.  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 0
 Post subject: Re: My Website.... Question about Design?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:07 pm 
God

Even blogging platforms like Blogger can be used to great effect.

BLDGBLOG

Pruned

The Sartorialist

are all done with the same blogging software I design my class websites with....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:17 pm 
God

Wim Delvoye's website is not a game. It's his portfolio.

And minimalism is an aesthetic choice; one currently favored by most photographers and designers because of the overly busy templated look of web design run amok.

My point to you, ldsfaqs, was that it was pretty easy to come up with something creative rather than using templated websites. Heck even templates can be used more creatively than the ones you featured: though I favor the spartan, there's currently an explosion of bells n' whistle templates generated by tumblr users.

However, I do realize that I'm looking at design in the abstract here. In order to appeal to the kind of audience you want, what you've already put up may be just the ticket.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:18 pm 
God

ldsfaqs wrote:
That IS what you said. You maybe didn't use the exact word, but it's what you said.

Lol - that's what I said even though I didn't say that. I need to start keeping a list of the stupid things you say - classic.

Quote:
What an absolute LIAR you are..... Amazing how you people lie to yourselves and the rest of us. You didn't in any way shape or form "put away your judgments" of me otherwise.
Yes, you gave an "opinion", but that's all it was. You didn't provide any sort of actual "analysis" like a normal web professional would. I know buddy, this is not my first rodeo, and I've done it for others.

When did I say I "put away my judgements"...Do you actually know what quotes stand for? I just said I was attempting to ignore the fact that you are an angry, mentally-crippled, racist homophobe for one post. Again, you fail miserably as I never claimed to be doing any type of "professional "analysis"". QUIT LYING YOU LYING LIAR!!!!

Quote:
I didn't say I was operating my own business in relation to my websites for years.
Obviously I'm just now try to get some things going in that regard.

And you are already failing....for many reasons - some of which I mentioned above. But, you don't seem to be interested other people's opinions so, good luck!

Quote:
That's because you are double minded, pretending to be good while you are evil.
People that are in the public eye that have nothing to hide don't need to post anonymously

Yes, that must be it...Your success as a web entrepreneur makes complete sense now....

Quote:
And how are they any more "professional" than the 4 I think are professional per their requirements?

The fact that we all knew it was a template the instant we saw it should be all you need to know...

Quote:
Actually, the ex has some to do with the web ventures. I wasn't able to get to them and some others that aren't up at the moment because of her actions. When someone has a family, they aren't alone anymore in what things influence their actions and decisions. Maybe you didn't know that???

I have plenty of family and have launched several software packages and websites. Excuses are like assholes...

Last edited by schreech on Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:25 pm 
Has More Degrees Than Droopy

Location: Cassius University: Ho Chi Minh Professor of American Military History
LDSfaqs,

Do you really want future business clients to see you without your shirt off and/or your family linked to the business website? They don't. They want to think they're doing business with someone who is totally committed to business and not private matters.

MASH quotes
I peeked in the back [of the Bible] Frank, the Devil did it.
I avoid church religiously.
This isn't one of my sermons, I expect you to listen.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:06 pm 
God

Ldsfaq, for the most part, people who’ve posted on this thread are trying to help you. Please take a slow breath. Try to not think of them as democrats or elitists or non-Mormons, but as people taking time and making effort to connect with another human being.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:34 pm 
God

I've appreciated the "three" actual helpful comments, and Blixa's contribution....

However, the rest of the thread is just nothing.
And the attitude of this "screech" is just beyond the pale.
He has the gal to say a lot of junk, without actually saying anything at all other than degrading me and simply saying my websites are "ugly templates".

This thread was a specific question, a specific website.
I have never seen such a LACK of actual help in my entire life, other than what I've already mentioned in the first sentence above. Three pages of NOTHING.

WOW....

Anyway, moving on to people who will actually give website analysis and feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:38 pm 

Location: Cassius University: Ho Chi Minh Professor of American Military History
ldsfaqs wrote:
I've appreciated the "three" actual helpful comments, and Blixa's contribution....

He has the gal to say a lot of junk, without actually saying anything at all other than degrading me and simply saying my websites are "ugly templates".

I have never seen such a LACK of actual help in my entire life, other than what I've already mentioned in the first sentence above. Three pages of NOTHING.

WOW....

Anyway, moving on to people who will actually give website analysis and feedback.

If you're not going to make use of advice from professionals then I recommend that instead of wasting money on websites that don't have any content you use that money to pay off your taxes.

MASH quotes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:20 am 
God

ldsfaqs wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:05 am 
God

ldsfaqs wrote:

WOW....

Have you asked your ward members and leaders for feedback?
If not, why not?
If yes, what did they say?

"One, two, three...let's go shopping!"
Thomas S Monson - Prophet, Seer, Revelator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:57 pm 
God

Okay, just because I love punishment..... since no one want's to really comment on the previous site Theme, how bout this one?

http://www.ldsfaqs.com

It's more modern looking. I like the style for what I'm wanting to do.
The only drawback, is I miss the "scholarly" and "archeological" feel of the previous theme.
Or should I forget that and stick to the more professional look???

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:12 pm 
God

ldsfaqs wrote:
Okay, just because I love punishment..... since no one want's to really comment on the previous site Theme, how bout this one?

The only drawback, is I miss the "scholarly" and "archeological" feel of the previous theme.

It looks like a personal blog. It contains tons of personal info. If it a business site it does not appear to be one.

~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:16 pm 
God

ldsfaqs wrote:

As you know, I'm no fan of templates, but I like this one best. I think it looks less "theme-y" because it is simple and minimal. I think that it reads as 'serious' more than the other themes you liked.

Also with the changing image you can vary how the site looks from time to time. Are you going to have pictures of all the temples? You could also have a series that shows different historical events, or maybe a series of period photography.

But I'm not sure what this one is going to be used for. Is it a personal blog about Mormon issues? Or will it be about your business ideas? Are you thinking of using this as the look for all your websites and just varying the imagery to signal if its business or personal?

I know you disagree, but I do want to stress again that I think it is a mistake to mix the personal/professional websites in your links. I don't think you necessarily look like you're hiding anything if you don't include everything about yourself. And I also think its better to keep as few obvious links to anything about one's family off of sites that might draw controversy (like a website debating "anti-mormons").

Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:19 pm 
God

just me wrote:
It looks like a personal blog. It contains tons of personal info. If it a business site it does not appear to be one.

Am I in the Twilight Zone?

It's a theme, compared to the previous one, that I'm asking to compare. :surprised: :confused:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:21 pm 
God

ldsfaqs wrote:
just me wrote:

Am I in the Twilight Zone?

probably

Quote:
It's a theme, compared to the previous one, that I'm asking to compare. :surprised: :confused:

dude, if you don't like my comments put me on ignore. *thumbs up*

~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:22 pm 

ldsfaqs wrote:

Needs content. Why even show off a "website" if it has no material? Also looks like a standard blog.

MASH quotes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:37 pm 
God

Blixa wrote:
As you know, I'm no fan of templates, but I like this one best. I think it looks less "theme-y" because it is simple and minimal. I think that it reads as 'serious' more than the other themes you liked.

THANK YOU.... Finally get pretty much a REAL review after 3 pages. :)
Yes, it does look less "themey" the funky style like the other one, and does read more serious.

This was the issue I was having with the previous one. It didn't look updated and modern.
Part of me still misses the "archeological" feel to it.

Quote:
Also with the changing image you can vary how the site looks from time to time. Are you going to have pictures of all the temples? You could also have a series that shows different historical events, or maybe a series of period photography.

The other one actually changed image every time with a new page load, it was a nice feature.
This one, the way it works is that you have to upload a particular image per post, and then it randomy grabs them and displays them in a on page rotator.

Ya, you didn't get a chance to see the other one I guess, but it rotated a nice different LDS image with each page load. This one, yes, I'll put up different images for the type of post it is. But, the other one I was able to "theme" select the types of images. I don't think I can do that with this one necessarily. Although, I think it might be able to slightly, if I have several posts of a particular subject/theme.

Quote:
But I'm not sure what this one is going to be used for. Is it a personal blog about Mormon issues? Or will it be about your business ideas? Are you thinking of using this as the look for all your websites and just varying the imagery to signal if its business or personal?

LDSfaqs..... :) It's going to be primarily an article website similar to FAIR. I'll likely have a blog, and other stuff. We'll see how it goes.

Naw, my other websites will each have their own theme. I don't plan on changing any of the others except the FullBodyFIT one as I mentioned previously, and if I find a different Family one I like I might change that, but I likely won't waste time on that unless there is something really good, the one I'm using already looks familyish. The others the themes are perfect for what I'm doing, I just need to finish them up, start putting content, etc.

Quote:
I know you disagree, but I do want to stress again that I think it is a mistake to mix the personal/professional websites in your links. I don't think you necessarily look like you're hiding anything if you don't include everything about yourself. And I also think its better to keep as few obvious links to anything about one's family off of sites that might draw controversy (like a website debating "anti-mormons").

I don't overtly disagree. I mentioned from the beginning once this was brought up that I would keep my options open on that. But, at the moment as I'm starting out, I keep the links. Links are good for getting the word out, so, I likely won't ever get rid of them. I will professional up the sites and overviews etc. so they won't turn people off as much. They won't actually be "debate" type sites, more information based etc. I will however like suggested take off my family site off the list once I have things set up. So, I do understand.

Quote:
Good luck.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:49 pm 

I'll be straight up honest. While a decent look helps a website good content is much more important. I've braved many bad websites because of good content. Without good content your questions about design are pointless.

MASH quotes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:03 am 
God

Blixa wrote:
Wim Delvoye's website is not a game. It's his portfolio.

Glad I read this before I showed it to my daughter. She loves Farmville. That stained glass chapel art on the X-rays link is great.

Quote:

Whichever style that would be the most catchy for your target audience makes sense. If you were trying to appeal to a Moksha-like group, incorporating old Log Cabin Syrup tin cabins would be a sure winner. For an apologist-like group it might include a logo of crossed fingers.

Otherwise, go for the design that best pleases you.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:12 am 
God

moksha wrote:
If you were trying to appeal to a Moksha-like group, incorporating old Log Cabin Syrup tin cabins would be a sure winner.

O/T: I have to keep myself from buying old Log Cabin Syrup tins on eBay.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:30 am 
tired, less active investigator

My two mites, which make a farthing...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:03 pm 
God

Well, the new site is coming along, and turns out I'm actually happy with the change.
This was a much better theme.

Anyway, got where I needed to be, even minus little help.