Dr. Shades's Spelling Lesson of the Day

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Re: Dr. Shades's Spelling Lesson of the Day

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Quasimodo wrote:Here's a question for Dr.Shades.

I just now read "a LDS" in a post. When I read LDS it sounds in my head as el dee ess. It sounds much better to me to read " an LDS". Which is correct?

Listen to yourself say it. If you are talking about a person...

A Latter-day Saint in Utah

or

An Latter-day Saint in Utah

Or a thing...temple?

A Latter-day Saint temple.

or

An Latter-day Saint temple.

Shades of course will have the formal explanation for it. I don't know how to explain it.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

Jersey Girl wrote:

I just now read "a LDS" in a post. When I read LDS it sounds in my head as el dee ess. It sounds much better to me to read " an LDS". Which is correct?

Listen to yourself say it. If you are talking about a person...

A Latter-day Saint in Utah

or

An Latter-day Saint in Utah

Or a thing...temple?

A Latter-day Saint temple.

or

An Latter-day Saint temple.

Shades of course will have the formal explanation for it. I don't know how to explain it.

Hi Jersey Girl (how are you doing?).

That's the heart of my question. If I pronounce LDS, I will always use "an" in front of it as opposed to "a". If I pronounce Later Day Saint, I will always use "a" as in a Later Day Saint. When I write LDS should I use "a" or "an"?
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Quasimodo wrote:

That's the heart of my question. If I pronounce LDS, I will always use "an" in front of it as opposed to "a". If I pronounce Later Day Saint, I will always use "a" as in a Later Day Saint. When I write LDS should I use "a" or "an"?

It has something to do with what I said. Shades will explain it. I barely know my own name right now. :-(
Chinese Proverb
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Quasimodo wrote:

It has something to do with what I said. Shades will explain it. I barely know my own name right now. :-(

My best wishes, sweetie.

We will leave Shades to sort this out.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Quasimodo wrote:
Jersey Girl wrote:

My best wishes, sweetie.

Thank you so much, Quasi.
Chinese Proverb
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

Jersey Girl wrote:It has something to do with what I said. Shades will explain it. I barely know my own name right now. :-(
Quasimodo wrote:My best wishes, sweetie.

Jersey Girl wrote:Thank you so much, Quasi.

We are happy to have a living prophet who governs the site.
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

On Wednesday, the kitchen serves as its soup du jour cream of tomato.

On Thursday, the kitchen lists today's soup as split pea.

Would the wording enter into the grammarian's decision to order a salad instead?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

moksha wrote:On Wednesday, the kitchen serves as its soup du jour cream of tomato.

On Thursday, the kitchen lists today's soup as split pea.

Would the wording enter into the grammarian's decision to order a salad instead?

What is it with that soup du jour stuff? Every time I order it, it's completely different. :wink:

_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

I just now read "a LDS" in a post. When I read LDS it sounds in my head as el dee ess. It sounds much better to me to read "an LDS". Which is correct?

Click here for the answer.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley