Would anyone be in support of a comparitive religion thread?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.

Comparitive religion thread/topic?

Total votes: 0

_Mephitus
_Emeritus

Would anyone be in support of a comparitive religion thread?

Post by _Mephitus »

I think we have enough of a base of people and segmentation of beliefs that it might be interesting to do a comparitive discussion of different religions or christian sects. I know this is primarily a Mormon discussion board, but i think it might be interesting if someone (i wouldn't mind) made up a form that could do some basic definitions of the basis of that belief set. And possibly we could make this a running thing. You could take a section from the previous post and write a short comparitive between the two religions on that particular topic. This would merely be a comparitive, not a flaming or derogitory bringing down of anything. Merely an exchange of information and opinions on differentiation.

If something like this was made up, how many people would be interested in participating?
Last edited by Guest on Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
One nice thing is, ze game of love is never called on account of darkness - Pepe Le Pew
_Julie
_Emeritus

Re: Would anyone be in support of a comparitive religion thr

Post by _Julie »

Sono_hito wrote:I think we have enough of a base of people and segmentation of beliefs that it might be interesting to do a comparitive discussion of different religions or christian sects. I know this is primarily a Mormon discussion board, but i think it might be interesting if someone (i wouldn't mind) made up a form that could do some basic definitions of the basis of that belief set. And possibly we could make this a running thing. You could take a section from the previous post and write a short comparitive between the two religions on that particular topic. This would merely be a comparitive, not a flaming or derogitory bringing down of anything. Merely an exchange of information and opinions on differentiation.

If something like this was made up, how many people would be interested in participating?

I would like to see how something along those lines would go over. Do you think maybe you should add a poll to this thread and see how the votes stand in x number of days or weeks? Then see what the mods think? Just an idea.
Julie
"If you want to save your child from polio, you can pray or you can inocculate". ~ Dr. Carl Sagan

"He didn't want to believe, he wanted to know". ~ Ann Druyan
_Mephitus
_Emeritus

Post by _Mephitus »

Good idea. Added
One nice thing is, ze game of love is never called on account of darkness - Pepe Le Pew
_Mephitus
_Emeritus

Post by _Mephitus »

To give you an idea of the questionair im building, a few sample questions would be:

What is the specific branch of religion and the subset name of the religion? i.e. Christian, southern babtist - Pagan, Celtic wiccan - Buddhist, taoist etc

What was the historical basis for the formation of your religion? (is it an offshoot of a religion already in place, or does your religion teach/believe it was independantly formed?)

What do you believe where the top 2-3 major influences that either aided with the formation of the religion, whether outside influence, or influences of geology?

Does your religion have any writings that detail in any sense how to behave within a society? If so, please source (urls please) the top 1-2.

Are there any events within your religious history that could be considered questionable by todays standards? cite the top 1-2, cite referances if needed.

This would continue on for at least another 5-6 questions. If you think that any others should be added before i make a formalised form on this, please feel free to post them.

I would also make sure to do this thread under the celestial forums, so as to make sure we keep this a mature and honest discussion.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

I'm up for it. Call me "Protector of the non-denominational anti-organized religion Deists"
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07