It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Hurting Economically Does Not Absolve a Trump Vote
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:53 pm 
God

Quote:
Trump was able to win Florida mainly by getting a higher percentage of the white vote than McCain and Romney.

Just evangelicals who didn't want to vote for a Mormon? I used to think this but Mitt Romney has done nothing but show me reasons to be glad he never was elected president. He's not really a conservative. Maybe this explains why white voters weren't very enthused about McCain.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:21 pm 
God

ajax18 wrote:
Just evangelicals who didn't want to vote for a Mormon? I used to think this but Mitt Romney has done nothing but show me reasons to be glad he never was elected president. He's not really a conservative. Maybe this explains why white voters weren't very enthused about McCain.

Trump is also not really a conservative. But a lot of Republican Presidents weren't really conservatives. I believe that we have to go back to Coolidge when we last had a GOP President that was a real conservative.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:46 am 
God

Quote:
Trump is also not really a conservative. But a lot of Republican Presidents weren't really conservatives. I believe that we have to go back to Coolidge when we last had a GOP President that was a real conservative.

So Reagan wasn't a conservative in your view?

I'd probably lump GHWB, GWB, Mitt Romney, and John McCain into the RINO category. They've refused to comment on politics when it came to Obama and the hard left agenda but took every opportunity they had to criticize Trump. That won't be forgiven.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:05 am 
God

Quote:

I don't think that Reagan was a real conservative as President. The National debt nearly tripled under his Presidency. But Reagan was not a divisive Present like Trump is. Trump is the most divisive President in my lifetime.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:49 pm 
God

Brackite wrote:
Quote:

I don't think that Reagan was a real conservative as President. The National debt nearly tripled under his Presidency. But Reagan was not a divisive Present like Trump is. Trump is the most divisive President in my lifetime.

Yes, Trump sure divided the country when he defeated Hillary Clinton...so yeah, that's on him.

But the 36 month of pathetic and futile attempts from Dem/Libs at a "death by a thousand accusations" is by far the most divisive "Present" that any lifetime has seen.

If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:36 pm 
God

Yeah I can't see how you can blame Trump for a divisive country. The election of presidents like Trump or Obama, Ted Cruz and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez are symptoms of just how far apart we as individuals are in our politics. The moderates are thoroughly beaten in the party primaries and when they do win the primary they get beat in the general election (i.e. Mitt Romney).

People like Brackite who want to keep the borders open and unenforced but don't really follow the follow the hard left line on public employee unions and exorbitant pensions at taxpayer expense are kind of an anomaly.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:58 pm 
God

ajax18 wrote:
People like Brackite who want to keep the borders open and unenforced but don't really follow the follow the hard left line on public employee unions and exorbitant pensions at taxpayer expense are kind of an anomaly.

People who are against President Trump to go around Congress to use the power of the purse to build more barriers along the border doesn't mean that they are for open and unenforced borders. Hannity used to believe that only Congress has the power of the purse, but he flipped flopped on that after Trump became President. Link

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:23 pm 
God

ajax18 wrote:
Yeah I can't see how you can blame Trump for a divisive country. The election of presidents like Trump or Obama, Ted Cruz and Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez are symptoms of just how far apart we as individuals are in our politics. The moderates are thoroughly beaten in the party primaries and when they do win the primary they get beat in the general election (i.e. Mitt Romney).

Trump would've been destroyed if he ran against Obama in 2012. He's a below-replacement level candidate (assuming a free and fair election). You have a child's understanding of political contests, and no matter how much you've been linked basic political science, you just ignore it and persist.

1) Presidential elections are mostly decided by factors outside of a candidate's control.

2) To the extent that election outcomes are affected by differences between candidates, those who outperform underlying factors do not necessarily win and those who underperform them do not necessarily lose. Think about it like golfers playing with different handicaps.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:22 pm 
Valiant A

EAllusion wrote:
ajax18 wrote:

Trump would've been destroyed if he ran against Obama in 2012.

If?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/ ... ntial-race

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:41 pm 
God

Icarus wrote:

EAllusion course collection in 3...2...

If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:02 pm 
God

subgenius wrote:
Icarus wrote:

EAllusion course collection in 3...2...

Uh, deciding not to run against Obama is not running against Obama?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7