It is currently Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HELP! Will a booster help?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:01 pm 
1st Counselor

Hello all,

There are so many incredibly smart people here I'm hoping one of you has an answer to my question. I have recently moved into an assisted living facility (I'm one of the immoral disabled who are bankrupting poor Majax!). Unfortunately, the facility's internet signal is very weak. I have a Chromebook that ran very fast at my house (Comcast), but is constantly dragging here (Xfinity). Additionally, I have tried to connect my Amazon Fire TV Stick and my wireless printer to the internet, but both have failed. At first I assumed it was because they didn't recognize the SSID and password I input. I know I have the correct information because I WAS able to connect my computer to the network. Then I looked at the report from my printer and it said the signal was too weak. I'm not sure if that is the actual reason why I could not connect either of these things, but even if it's not, I would really like to boost the signal if it would speed up my computer. But when I went to look for a booster to buy, I was overwhelmed with how many there are and have no idea how to choose one.

Because I'm at a facility and not my own place, I can't mess with their router, nor would I even try because I don't know even really know what a router is. I say this because everywhere I've looked for info on a booster has said it's best to just get a stronger router than mess with a booster. So, given that's not an option for me, can any of you suggest a booster that would address my weak signal? Or is there another product that would work better. Finally, is it even possible?

I have no idea if I'm even using the correct terminology and really hope you understand what I'm asking. But if I haven't completely bumbled this, can any of you help me? Please?

Thanks,
Elphaba

Post subject: Re: HELP! Will a booster help?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:11 pm 
Bell Ringer

I have no doubt that the facility is getting good money for you being there. It seems reasonable that they would supply a booster for you. Have you asked them?

How far are you from their wireless router? How many walls are there between you and it?

ETA: Here's a link to Amazon on wifi extenders. They are not a huge expense. https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Electronics-Repeaters/zgbs/electronics/3015439011

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:25 pm 
God

Do you know if you are on wifi? Verses a telephone like cable hooked from your computer to the wall.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:01 pm 
God

RockSlider wrote:
Do you know if you are on wifi? Verses a telephone like cable hooked from your computer to the wall.

And how is your TV connected? cable?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:16 pm 
God

ALSO, if you are in an assisted living facility, you might talk to your local city councilperson about getting a discounted rate for wifi for your facility. The optics are good for city government, and also for the wifi provider.

- Maxine (Ajax) Waters
"History is a process of rebarbarization."
- Will Durant
Strange Fruit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:29 pm 
God

MeDotOrg wrote:
ALSO, if you are in an assisted living facility, you might talk to your local city councilperson about getting a discounted rate for wifi for your facility. The optics are good for city government, and also for the wifi provider.

Whoa!!
:surprised:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:20 am 
God

Elphaba, wishing you the best at the assisted living care facility.

I would have thought that Comcast and Xfinity were the same entity.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:59 am 
God

moksha wrote:
Elphaba, wishing you the best at the assisted living care facility.

I would have thought that Comcast and Xfinity were the same entity.

Yes, I was under the impression Comcast had changed their name to Xfinity (because, let's face it - does anyone like Comcast?)

I wish I could help on your question, Elphaba, but I don't know enough about repeaters to be helpful.

"Good thing your safe space isn't being violated with the horrors of self-awareness." - Dmetri Cromwell (some guy on Facebook)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:32 am 
God

Perhaps, if applicable, you could forgo the local wifi and look into the options provided by your cellular provider. Using your cell service to provide your data connectivity may reveal itself to be the better solution.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:46 pm 
God

Elphaba, if you are usually using your computer in one place, you might ask the facility if they have an "ethernet" port nearby. You can run a network cable from the port to your computer and then you won't have to use the Wi-fi connection at all (and it will be a much better connection).