How the Pandemic has changed the practice.

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_mocnarf
_Emeritus

How the Pandemic has changed the practice.

Post by _mocnarf »

I am curious if any of the changes to the practice of the Mormon Religion will live on after the pandemic has ended?

Back in Brigham's day, I am quite sure they would have relied much more on blessings and anointing with oil. They certainly would not have cancelled the Church conference. But today seems quite different. Has the power of Blessing and the anointing with oil lost it's power?

The church could save millions if they kept the in home practice of the religion and phase out chapels.

This new way of doing conference could also save a millions, will it live on?
Aim at at nothing and you're sure to hit it.
_mocnarf
_Emeritus

Re: How the Pandemic has changed the practice.

Post by _mocnarf »

Will the breaking of the sacrament bread by teenagers be done now with gloved hands? If not, would you partake it? Why would you not fear contamination with Covid19?
Likewise, should the bread and water have a covering over them while those teenagers say a prayer over the sacrament to prevent contamination?
Or, are there better ways to prevent contamination of the sacrament?
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: How the Pandemic has changed the practice.

Post by _moksha »

mocnarf wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:47 pm
Or, are there better ways to prevent contamination of the sacrament?
The Catholic idea of small plastic foil-covered containers of sacramental wine sounds promising. Plus it would greatly add to social distancing if families could keep a couple of six-packs in the refrigerator, along with a box of Ritz crackers in the cupboard.

Has the power of Blessing and the anointing with oil lost its power?
More likely there is a realization that a virus is impervious to the blessing and oil. Plus there is the challenge issued by Elder Bednar to not be healed (I don't fully understand the mechanism behind that challenge, but some Truer Bluer believers might and that is what is important).